News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Unauthorized" radio edits

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, January 11, 2022, 11:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on January 14, 2022, 09:53:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2022, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 14, 2022, 07:56:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2022, 07:50:31 PM
I was listening to KOMA (which I mentioned in my last post) again and they played a version of "Money for Nothing" that entirely skipped over the verse where they repeatedly use a word which is now considered to be a much harsher slur than it was when they recorded it.

Skipping over that verse was common. The pop stations around here usually skipped it. I think the promotional single skipped it, but I think the commercial single had that verse. I'm not sure about that though.

Huh, never knew that. KRXO (the local classic rock station) would always play it with that verse intact, which is sort of odd since it and KOMA are both owned by Tyler Media. (Then again, I haven't listened to KRXO in a long time, since they changed frequencies and transmitters, and I'm pretty sure I've used lightbulbs with a higher wattage rating than they have now. So it's possible management made the change on both stations.)

Although I understand why the verse was skipped, the fact that the song lyrics were based loosely upon a conversation that Knopfler overheard seems to add more weight to what language was tolerated in the past (i.e., it wasn't just Mark totally making stuff up, but people back then really spoke like that...and it was wrong).

I've heard a version with the word backmasked, much like MTV used to do with Tom Petty's You Don't Know How it Feels (to be Me) and the "Let's roll another tnioj" line
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

I remember the AM versions of "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain" by Prince being much shorter than the FM versions. They basically cut it off right when the long endings began. Even "Little Red Corvette" had a shorter AM version.

The AM version of "Cum On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot deleted the third verse.

"Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol also had a shorter AM version.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Takumi

Quote from: Road Hog on January 14, 2022, 08:11:49 PM
Kid Rock's "Cowboy" on his debut album had a "radio edit" that I'm not sure was intentional.
It was intentional, as it still appears on the uncensored version of the album. Also, Devil Without A Cause was actually Kid Rock's fourth album.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

I was listening to KOMA (which I mentioned in my last post) again and they played a version of "Money for Nothing" that entirely skipped over the verse where they repeatedly use a word which is now considered to be a much harsher slur than it was when they recorded it.

Skipping over that verse was common. The pop stations around here usually skipped it. I think the promotional single skipped it, but I think the commercial single had that verse. I'm not sure about that though.

Huh, never knew that. KRXO (the local classic rock station) would always play it with that verse intact, which is sort of odd since it and KOMA are both owned by Tyler Media. (Then again, I haven't listened to KRXO in a long time, since they changed frequencies and transmitters, and I'm pretty sure I've used lightbulbs with a higher wattage rating than they have now. So it's possible management made the change on both stations.)

Although I understand why the verse was skipped, the fact that the song lyrics were based loosely upon a conversation that Knopfler overheard seems to add more weight to what language was tolerated in the past (i.e., it wasn't just Mark totally making stuff up, but people back then really spoke like that...and it was wrong).

I recall Canada's communication commission wanted to ban the uncensored version from playing on any radio station in the country, which caused a backlash where classic rock stations in more conservative parts of the country played the song on loop to protest.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on January 14, 2022, 11:27:54 PM
I remember the AM versions of "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain" by Prince being much shorter than the FM versions. They basically cut it off right when the long endings began. Even "Little Red Corvette" had a shorter AM version.

The AM version of "Cum On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot deleted the third verse.

"Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol also had a shorter AM version.

Radio edits were very much in use in past years. Chicago's "Make Me Smile" was a combination of "Make Me Smile" and "Now More Than Ever" from "Ballet For A Girl In Buchanan" (sic, she was really from Buckhannon, WV), "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is" had the free form piano and part of the introduction deleted, and both "Questions 67 and 68" and "25 or 6 to 4" were chopped up big-time. And the single version of Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do" was a whole lot shorter than the album version.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

My dad used to tape Friday Night Videos, which was aired on NBC in the early 80s, and their version of the video from Money for Nothing had the entire verse cut out.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2022, 09:16:56 PM

My dad used to tape Friday Night Videos, which was aired on NBC in the early 80s, and their version of the video from Money for Nothing had the entire verse cut out.

Wow, I hadn't thought about that show in at least 30 years until you mentioned it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

Quote from: bandit957 on January 12, 2022, 10:37:51 AM
Back in 1987, some stations edited "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael to remove the word "sex" from the chorus. I think the only time I ever heard this version was once on WLAP-FM. I'm not sure, but I think they may have played the unedited version at other times. I honestly don't know whether they regularly played it when it was current, because I never listened to this station yet back then.

A number of radio stations banned I Want Your Sex. Despite that, it did peak at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Probably would've hit #1 had it not been banned.

bandit957

Quote from: golden eagle on January 17, 2022, 09:46:18 AM
Back in 1987, some stations edited "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael to remove the word "sex" from the chorus. I think the only time I ever heard this version was once on WLAP-FM. I'm not sure, but I think they may have played the unedited version at other times. I honestly don't know whether they regularly played it when it was current, because I never listened to this station yet back then.

A number of radio stations banned I Want Your Sex. Despite that, it did peak at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Probably would've hit #1 had it not been banned.

Q-102 in Cincinnati actually deleted this record from 'American Top 40'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

dlsterner

Quote from: bandit957 on January 17, 2022, 10:04:20 AM

If I remember correctly, it was the only record that Casey Kasem refused to mention by name during the recording of 'American Top 40'.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 12, 2022, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 12, 2022, 11:00:39 AM
Starship's 1985 #1 single "We Built This City" has a segment with a voiceover by a radio DJ. The Top 40 station in South Bend overdubbed that segment with one of their own DJs promoting their station. I'm sure lots of other stations did the same.
There was quite a bit of that with "We Built This City" when it was out.  I'm guessing that it was approved by Starship.  In the early 1990s there were a couple of songs "Show Me the Way" by Styx stands out that had cuts of servicemen edited into the song, and because of that it went to #3.

On the matter of different versions of the same song, it used to be even up into the 80s that there could be a long and short version of a song.  The "album version" would be the long version, and the shorter one played at a top 40 station.  Many times during much of the period they would be considered AM and FM versions (before top 40 disappeared on AM).  I don't remember two different versions of "Self-Control", but there easily could have been.  The long versions a lot of times would have more guitar riffs (Example-Sweet's "Love is Like Oxygen")

When I heard "Self Control" again on KIXI after hearing the full version, I could hear an edit right before the vocal.  You would think the record label with access to the original session tapes would make a more seamless edit.  Not that bad razor blade edits hadn't gotten out in the past.  One of the charms of Little Steven's Underground Garage is that the host sources the original mono versions of songs from the 60s he plays.  "Bend Me, Shape Me" has a bad edit on the older version that goes "B-Bend me, shape me..." but that's disappeared in modern restored stereo CD versions.

As for "I Want Your Sex" being dropped out of American Top 40, instructions were given on how to remove it to stations for each week the song was on the countdown.  http://charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-01-87.pdf

golden eagle

Quote from: dlsterner on January 18, 2022, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 17, 2022, 10:04:20 AM

If I remember correctly, it was the only record that Casey Kasem refused to mention by name during the recording of 'American Top 40'.

When Shadoe Stevens hosted AT40, he refused to say "Me So Horny" from 2 Live Crew.

michravera

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 15, 2022, 09:54:57 AM

I recall Canada's communication commission wanted to ban the uncensored version from playing on any radio station in the country, which caused a backlash where classic rock stations in more conservative parts of the country played the song on loop to protest.

I'm pretty sure that I first heard the oft-omitted verse in Brazil. The song was #1 in the country Christmas week in 1985.  When I was there in January 1985, the #1 song was a song of which you've likely never heard unless you lived in the Portuphonic world (maybe even just Brazil or even RJ state) and maybe not even then. It was the theme from a nighttime soap opera. During 1985, a satellite was launched that pretty much brought Brazil into the rest of the world. I bought the "Brothers in Arms" medium after I got back to California (and maybe after I heard "So Far Away"). I think that I bought "The Roaring Silence" on the same trip to Tower. The oft-omitted verse *WAS* on the medium.

kkt

The publicity from being banned might have actually boosted the song's popularity...

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on January 21, 2022, 06:34:03 PM

The publicity from being banned might have actually boosted the song's popularity...

I think that was certainly the case with Luther Campbell and 2 Live Crew.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MoiraPrime

Sirius XM's Dance station "BPM" would regularly play a demo version of Avicii's song "Silhouettes". It was a early version that had Salem Al Fakir as the singer instead of the final female vocalist. It's always been weird that they played this version instead of the final one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLlqfHOSNs

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2022, 07:13:14 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 21, 2022, 06:34:03 PM

I think that was certainly the case with Luther Campbell and 2 Live Crew.

If we could gamble on "HB referencing 2 Live Crew at some point" on this forum we'd probably all net a rather large return  :)

(I also appreciate that an 11 year old me was introduced to lines from Full Metal Jacket due to that musical act)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.