Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Ohio House Passes I-73/I-74 Resolution - 75-15 Vote in Favor

(1/21) > >>

tolbs17:
Very good news! Now only if West Virginia and Virginia can build their highways with them...

https://www.wsaz.com/2022/01/27/ohio-house-passes-resolution-urging-i-73-i-74-extension/

Scott5114:
Please read articles before you post them. That was the Ohio House of Representatives passing a bill calling for ODOT to do that. It hasn't passed the Senate nor been signed by the governor. And in most legislatures (don't know about Ohio), a "resolution" is just an unfunded mandate that expresses the opinion of the Legislature and doesn't have any binding power. Even if it passed ODOT could probably just say "No, we don't think we will" absent a direct order from the Governor.

plain:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2022, 05:18:36 AM ---Please read articles before you post them. That was the Ohio House of Representatives passing a bill calling for ODOT to do that. It hasn't passed the Senate nor been signed by the governor. And in most legislatures (don't know about Ohio), a "resolution" is just an unfunded mandate that expresses the opinion of the Legislature and doesn't have any binding power. Even if it passed ODOT could probably just say "No, we don't think we will" absent a direct order from the Governor.

--- End quote ---

You just beat me to it.

Nothing is set in stone for this. I seriously don't see this going far, especially in I-74's case. Whatever routing is being considered for that would be a very difficult one. Lots of $$$ would have to be thrown at this.

SkyPesos:
Itís not April 1st.

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: plain on January 27, 2022, 05:29:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2022, 05:18:36 AM ---Please read articles before you post them. That was the Ohio House of Representatives passing a bill calling for ODOT to do that. It hasn't passed the Senate nor been signed by the governor. And in most legislatures (don't know about Ohio), a "resolution" is just an unfunded mandate that expresses the opinion of the Legislature and doesn't have any binding power. Even if it passed ODOT could probably just say "No, we don't think we will" absent a direct order from the Governor.

--- End quote ---

You just beat me to it.

Nothing is set in stone for this. I seriously don't see this going far, especially in I-74's case. Whatever routing is being considered for that would be a very difficult one. Lots of $$$ would have to be thrown at this.

--- End quote ---

Like was mentioned above, if the resolution clears the Ohio Senate, it would just state that the Ohio Legislature wants to governor and ODOT to pursue completing I-73 and I-74 through the state. It doesn't direct the state's executive branch to do so, nor does it allocate any funding to build either route.

Both the I-73 and I-74 corridors are currently served by 4-lane divided highways. In the case of US-23 (potential route for I-73), ODOT has been incrementally upgrading sections of the 4-lane highway to freeway by converting certain intersections to interchanges and building bypasses in a few areas where the road goes through more developed areas that can't be upgraded without disrupting the local community. I think you'll see US-23 converted to full freeway, particularly north of Columbus, in the foreseeable future. It might take a bit longer to get US-23 south of Columbus upgraded to full freeway, but ODOT is working in that direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version