News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Soft drinks in restaurants tasting like postage stamps

Started by bandit957, May 24, 2022, 08:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Ever get a soft drink at a restaurant that tasted like a postage stamp?

I've heard this problem has expanded to iced tea lately too.

Once in a while, you'll get a soft drink at a restaurant that tastes minty, which it shouldn't.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

No, but my wife once got a milkshake at Spangles that tasted like soap.  We haven't been back to that Spangles ever since.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Sometimes you can tell as soon as it comes out of the fountain that the pop is bad, and you can try another pop brand as a backup. Other times, you get the nasty surprise of drinking colored carbonated water that looks normal in every way until you try to drink it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Can't say I've had a postage stamp flavored shake.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bandit957 on May 24, 2022, 08:40:10 PM

Are you sure your taste buds aren't fried?

I know locally that I've had no issues at the places I frequent, sans the occasional flavor just running out (thus I swap to something different).

Dirt Roads

Quote from: bandit957 on May 24, 2022, 08:40:10 PM

No, but diet sodas that have Aspartame sweetener tend to have a relative short [expiration] date and will become bitter in the soda line.  In the grocery stores, diet sodas are stamped with a "Best Before" date.  I'm assuming that the same is now true in the commercial soda supply side, but there weren't any dates on soda canisters back when I worked for a pizza place back in the early 1980s.  There's been a rumor going around for decades about one of the chemicals that Aspartame breaks down into, but I've yet to see substantive evidence of that happening in the bottle (unless a diet soda is exposed to very high temperatures).  Being from West Virginia, I am prone to being able to detect such substances from a long distance away.   :coffee:

webny99

Rothman

Yep, diet sodas taste like chemicals that you aren't supposed to drink to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 10:57:51 AM
What do postage stamps taste like?

Have you seriously never licked a stamp?

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

It's fun that when I see a particular new topic posted, I don't even have to guess who started it.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 11:05:24 AM

Uh... no. I've used saliva to seal an envelope a few times, but the only kind of stamps I'm familiar with are self-adhesive.

kphoger

Well, that boils down to our age difference, then.

Quote from: Bob Greene, Chicago Tribune, 26-FEB-2002
Yet one wouldn't want to guess about a matter this important, so I got in touch with the United States Postal Service in Washington, where the postal official who knows the most about lickable and non-lickable stamps -- his name is Don Smeraldi -- was only too happy to help me out ... "It's happened really quickly," Smeraldi told me. "In 1995, just under 20 percent of postage stamps were self-adhesive." ... from the 20 percent share that self-adhesive stamps owned in 1995, the number leapt to over 60 percent in 1996, over 87 percent in 1999, and over 90 percent in 2000.

I was a teenager in the 1990s.  You were... umm, well actually you weren't yet.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 11:13:42 AM
I was a teenager in the 1990s.  You were... umm, well actually you weren't yet.

I actually was alive for the last few months of the 1990's (which I'm honored by, BTW), but I don't remember doing any stamp licking.  :-P

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 11:07:25 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 11:05:24 AM

Uh... no. I've used saliva to seal an envelope a few times, but the only kind of stamps I'm familiar with are self-adhesive.

It tastes the same as the envelope adhesive basically.

bandit957

Back in the '90s, people had to mail stuff more.

abefroman329

My brother has said that he doesn't like the Coke Freestyle machines because his drink tastes like every other drink the machine offers, but since I'm mixing two or more pops anyway, I don't notice.

wanderer2575

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 25, 2022, 11:49:35 AM
The restaurant tastes like a postage stamp?

He could have written 'Soft drinks tasting like postage stamps in restaurants' instead.  Then you'd be wondering why stamps taste different in restaurants than elsewhere.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I wonder why self-adhesive envelopes didn't take off the way self-adhesive stamps did.  I always buy them, but most envelopes I mail are birthday cards or the rare bill that I still get by mail rather than online, so that doesn't help much.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on May 25, 2022, 01:00:46 PM
I wonder why self-adhesive envelopes didn't take off the way self-adhesive stamps did.  I always buy them, but most envelopes I mail are birthday cards or the rare bill that I still get by mail rather than online, so that doesn't help much.
Larger envelopes did.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2022, 12:42:42 AM
Can't say I've had a postage stamp flavored shake.

Culver's new Nostalgic Flavor of the Day.

I've had a Lenny's Sub in Memphis that tasted faintly of soap, so I've avoided them since.

bandit957

Back around 2001, I remember that French fries at fast food restaurants usually tasted a little bit like soap. Apparently, it was some ingredient they started using at the time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bandit957 on May 25, 2022, 03:32:40 PM
Back around 2001, I remember that French fries at fast food restaurants usually tasted a little bit like soap. Apparently, it was some ingredient they started using at the time.

We were at a restaurant recently where the mashed potatoes tasted way off, like there was some sort of metallic taste to them. We told our server who got the manager. The manager wrote it off as it was too much garlic. Now, we arent newborns. We didnt start eating foods yesterday. Wasn't a garlic issue. The server came by later to tell us she ate the mashed potatoes as part of her meal earlier and she thought they tasted off too but they weren't going to listen to her. She hoped us saying something would be taken more seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on May 25, 2022, 01:00:46 PM

It always seemed to me like self-adhesive envelopes don't stay closed as well as the kind you lick, so I stopped buying them. Plus, unlike with self-adhesive stamps, which are all stuck to a common backing you don't have to deal with until you use all of the stamps, self-adhesive envelopes have that strip you have to throw away on every envelope you use. That seems like it would become a hassle if you had 20 or 30 envelopes you had to send out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.