News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 21, 2022, 08:20:51 AM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on June 20, 2022, 11:43:16 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 19, 2022, 11:25:46 PM
One of the things I've noticed recently on I-69 in SW Indiana is that INDOT posted signage alerting drivers to the time zone change. <snip>
That's great. Hopefully they'll do that on I-65 up north one of these days.

i agree, always confused where the line is!  :-D

The time zone boundary is the Jasper/White county line, which is about 2 miles south of the US 24/231 Wolcott/Remington exit. Another way to keep track is the beginning/end of the White County wind farm.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

abqtraveler

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 21, 2022, 08:30:26 AM
One of the things I've noticed recently on I-69 in SW Indiana is that INDOT posted signage alerting drivers to the time zone change. <snip>

The time zone boundary is the Jasper/White county line, which is about 2 miles south of the US 24/231 Wolcott/Remington exit. Another way to keep track is the beginning/end of the White County wind farm.
Indiana has not done a good job of posting the boundary between eastern and central time. The only place I know for sure where there was a sign marking the change from EST to CST (and vice versa) was on the Indiana Toll Road at the LaPorte/St. Joseph county line near New Carlisle (between MPs 61 and 62). As a kid, we would often drive from Fort Wayne to visit relatives near Valparaiso, and I never saw a sign indicating the time zone boundary on US-30 at the Marshall/Starke county line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7419327,-86.5244715,3a,64.8y,92.79h,83.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUWljYGpLKwINSQWEDaT-xA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

IndyAgent

I made the drive to Bloomington from Greenwood last night and the progress is going well but for some reason they had barrels reducing to one lane and the road looks complete. Anyone know why this is going on?

ITB

Quote from: IndyAgent on June 29, 2022, 12:47:24 PM
I made the drive to Bloomington from Greenwood last night and the progress is going well but for some reason they had barrels reducing to one lane and the road looks complete. Anyone know why this is going on?

Probably because the striping process is still ongoing. Instead of the usual painted on markings, a new type of reflective tape is being used that involves grinding shallow groves in the pavement. Read all about it here.

zzcarp

INDOT released a video of them placing the Myra Lane bridge beams across the highway.

https://twitter.com/i69finishline/status/1545049666097623040
So many miles and so many roads

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 21, 2022, 11:06:43 AM

Indiana has not done a good job of posting the boundary between eastern and central time. The only place I know for sure where there was a sign marking the change from EST to CST (and vice versa) was on the Indiana Toll Road at the LaPorte/St. Joseph county line near New Carlisle (between MPs 61 and 62). As a kid, we would often drive from Fort Wayne to visit relatives near Valparaiso, and I never saw a sign indicating the time zone boundary on US-30 at the Marshall/Starke county line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7419327,-86.5244715,3a,64.8y,92.79h,83.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUWljYGpLKwINSQWEDaT-xA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Also, I think there's a bit of "flexibility" in time zones near the borders. Here, for example, the Petro is on Central Time, while the Pilot is on Eastern, at least at the pumps I used.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 07, 2022, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on June 21, 2022, 11:06:43 AM

Also, I think there's a bit of "flexibility" in time zones near the borders. Here, for example, the Petro is on Central Time, while the Pilot is on Eastern, at least at the pumps I used.

Slightly ironic since the Petro is farther east. Not sure why Pilot would be on the wrong time, but for someplace that's open 24 hours it shouldn't matter. If I went to the McDonald's at 10:15 and was told I couldn't get breakfast because they operate on Eastern I'd be pissed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ITB

I-69 construction progress was the topic of a WTHR News report broadcast earlier today. The report notes the Martinsville to Indianapolis project (Section 6) is now fifty percent complete and remains on schedule. There's some nice drone footage of the SR 37/SR-CR 144 intersection. The online posted story also has a nice drone photo of the County Line Road interchange.

The video report and story text can be accessed here.

silverback1065

Quote from: ITB on July 08, 2022, 09:36:36 PM

I-69 construction progress was the topic of a WTHR News report broadcast earlier today. The report notes the Martinsville to Indianapolis project (Section 6) is now fifty percent complete and remains on schedule. There's some nice drone footage of the SR 37/SR-CR 144 intersection. The online posted story also has a nice drone photo of the County Line Road interchange.

it's not on schedule, i heard in that same story that it's years AHEAD of schedule. that's great!

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 08, 2022, 11:36:10 PM

it's not on schedule, i heard in that same story that it's years AHEAD of schedule. that's great!
The "years ahead of schedule" was an error and was removed from later versions of the story on their web site. "NOTE: This story has been updated to correct the project is on time and not three years ahead of schedule."

ITB

Whelp, seems I missed that little bit of "news." Oh, well.

Got some pictures for you guys. Photos were taken Sunday, July 10, 2022, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south with the long range lens from near the Myra Lane overpass in Morgan County, a little north of Martinsville. The overpass pictured will carry Teeters Road. To better see the mileage signage for the Martinsville exits, expand the photo.

Myra Lane overpass; looking west. Coming along, but still a bit to do here, including the side walls and the approach slabs.

Another view of the Myra Lane overpass; looking southwest.

Long range view; looking south from near the Myra Lane overpass. The retaining wall is being painted to resemble brick work.

The center bent and pilings for the western abutment for the overpass that will carry Smith Valley Road in Johnson County; looking northeast. Not much progress here, then again it's scheduled to be completed in 2023.

Using the long range lens, looking south from near the Smith Valley Road work zone. Visible in the deep background is the SR 144 overpass (best seen when the photo is expanded). On the right is the southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road.

Different view of the southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road; looking south. As the stakes for the stringline are still in place, the ramp was very recently paved, probably last week.

The view looking north from the Smith Valley Road work zone. Work continues on the bridge that will carry the southbound mainline over Honey Creek.

Closer look of the center bent and western abutment pilings of the future Smith Valley Road overpass; looking northeast.

What the eye sees looking south from near the Smith Valley Road work zone. If expanded, the SR 144 overpass can be discerned in the deep background.

More pictures to come.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 09, 2022, 12:31:26 PM

The "years ahead of schedule" was an error and was removed from later versions of the story on their web site. "NOTE: This story has been updated to correct the project is on time and not three years ahead of schedule."

:-D That didn't seem right when I heard it.

ITB

Another set. Again, photos were taken Sunday, July 10, 2022.

The view looking north from the Smith Valley Road interchange work zone in Johnson County. In the background, work continues on the southbound mainline bridge over Honey Creek. This is what the eye sees. In the previous photo set, a similar picture was taken with the long range lens.

West of the future interchange, Smith Valley Road will slope down and meet a roundabout, which will have connections to the newly built frontage road that will run roughly parallel to I-69 between County Line Road to the north and State Road 144 to the south; looking west.

The frontage road that juts off north from the roundabout pictured above, and the bridge that carries it over Honey Creek; looking north.

Another view of the frontage road; looking north.

The view looking north about a mile south of Smith Valley Road work zone. When the photo is expanded, the State Road 37/Smith Valley Road intersection can be discerned in the deep background. On the left is the future southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road, as well as the new recently built frontage road (far left).

Turning around, the view looking south.

Using the long range lens, the State Road 144 overpass comes into view; looking south.

The view looking east. Housing developments continue to fill in the land between Smith Valley Road and County Road 144 to the south. A few have even crossed south of CR 144.

Large MSE retaining wall behind the gas station/convenience store, which will help support the southbound exit ramp to SR 144; looking east.

Crane assembly at the SR 37/SR-CR 144 construction zone in preparation to place the beams over Bluff Creek for the future northbound exit ramp to CR 144; looking northeast.

Another perspective; looking north.

Looking east toward the State Road 37/State Road 144 intersection. At this time, to facilitate construction, access to CR 144 from either SR 37 or SR 144 has been closed off.

An expanded view of the approach to the SR 144 overpass and the large retaining wall pictured above; looking east.

State Road 144 overpass; looking northeast.

Long range perspective looking north from the Smith Valley Road work zone toward the mainline bridge work over Honey Creek.

A more expansive view looking north from about one mile south of the Smith Valley Road work zone.

Another perspective of the future southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road; looking south.

One more. Long range view looking south from the Smith Valley Road interchange work zone.

Edit: swapped out a photo for another; added two more; grammar

ITB

There was a crash early this morning at the State Road 37/SR-CR 144 intersection. It happened around 6:20am, and was significant enough that two firetrucks, one fire rescue vehicle, and at least one ambulance responded. The scene was captured by an INDOT traffic camera.

INDOT Trafficwise camera

INDOT Trafficwise camera

Link: INDOT Trafficwise

As an aside, the bottom picture depicts the recently placed beams for the bridge over Bluff Creek that will carry the northbound exit ramp to CR 144.

ITB

Some more pictures. Because rain was forecast for today, Sunday, I went up for another look-see yesterday. Photos were taken Saturday, July 16, 2022.

Looking north from the western abutment of the Southport Road overpass in Indianapolis. On the right is the northbound mainline bridge over Little Buck Creek, as well as the bridge (right) that will carry the northbound entrance ramp from Southport Road.

Closer look of the two bridges over Little Buck Creek; looking northeast.

Bridge deck finisher in place on the Southport Road overpass, meaning the deck pour is soon forthcoming; looking slightly southeast.

Using the long range lens, looking north from the Southport Road overpass. Construction of the northbound mainline bridge over Banta Road is on the right, mid-background.

What the eye sees looking north from the Southport Road overpass.

Falsework along the northern edge of the Southport Road overpass; looking east.

Another view looking north.

State Road 37/Southport Road intersection; looking southeast. Later, heading south, I was stopped at this light. When it turned green, a car in the northbound left turn lane proceeded through the intersection and into the southbound left turn lane. Realizing the mistake, the driver did a quick U-turn in the southbound lanes right here. Fortunately, traffic was light at that moment.

Another perspective of the Southport Road overpass; looking southeast. Considering the width of the bridge, it's going to be large and time consuming deck pour. There could be as many as 10 or 15 mixers shuttling back and forth between the site and the batch plant.

Poles for traffic lights and signage on site at the Southport Road work zone; looking east.

Also on site at Southport, several large coils of tubing for underground utilities.

ITB

Another batch. Again, photos were taken Saturday, July 16, 2022.

State Road 144 overpass in Johnson County; looking slightly southwest. The northbound entrance ramp from CR 144 is in the foreground.

Deck of the SR 144 overpass; looking west. The area where the concrete looks rough is for the sidewalk; it will receive another layer of concrete. Also, the pour for the approach slab seems not too far off.

View looking slightly northwest from the SR 144 overpass. In the background is a stretch of newly paved concrete for the future northbound lanes where a crew has been at work paving a section of the northbound roadway between SR 144 and Smith Valley Road. Between Fairview Road and the SR-CR 144 interchange Morgan/Johnson county line, the road surface of I-69 will be concrete.

The bridge over Bluff Creek that will carry the northbound ramp to CR 144 at the future SR-CR 144 interchange; looking south.

State Road 37/SR-CR 144 intersection; looking southwest. CR 144 east is currently sealed off with barricades at this location as well as at frontage road entrance and another point further east. Despite the signage and barriers, I observed a vehicle driving south on the frontage road maneuver around them to get where they wanted to go.

Another perspective of the SR 144 overpass and its falsework; looking west.

Looking east toward CR 144 from the eastern roundabout of the future SR-CR 144 interchange. By the way, I was born about 10 miles down this road, in Johnson County Memorial Hospital (now called Johnson Memorial Health). Betcha didn't know that.

Long range shot looking slightly northwest from the new frontage road about a quarter mile south of the SR 144 overpass. In the deep background, the southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road is visible (better seen if the photo is expanded). Probably should have driven down to little rise and gotten the tripod out for some better snaps, but it was getting late and I, a little tired. Early next week looks like I'll be going to IND again, so maybe on the way back I'll detour over for another look-see. We'll see.

Another view of the northbound entrance ramp from the eastern roundabout of the future SR-CR 144 interchange; looking slightly northwest.

One more of the bridge work for the northbound ramp over Bluff Creek to CR 144; looking south. The temporary traffic light at Banta Road is visible in the deep background. With CR 144 closed at SR 37, Banta Road and Whiteland Road are getting a lot of the detoured traffic, and it's considerable.

And, finally, here's a few photos from the Epler Avenue area in Indianapolis.

Epler Avenue just west of Elper Ave./Belmont Ave. intersection; looking west. Visualize a bridge here, as this is where the Epler Avenue overpass will be built over I-69. Also, there will be a northbound ramp to Epler, as well as a southbound one from Epler. Those old utility poles are going to have to be removed, or at the very least replaced with modern, much taller ones.

Turning around, looking east, the view in the other direction. The SR 37/Epler Ave. intersection is in the background.

Looking south toward Belmont Ave. from the Epler Ave./Belmont Ave. intersection. Although this section of road will remain, Belmont Avenue will be rerouted west of I-69 between Epler and Southport Road. Good chance this small section of road, which will terminate not all that far down, will be re-signed.

Last remaining structures of the SRM Concrete batch plant near the Epler Ave./Belmont Ave. intersection; looking west. This facility is being taken down because I-69 is coming right through here, from left to right.

One last view of the Southport Road overpass; looking east. Although at first glance it appears the overpass structure is somewhat near to the ground, that's not the case. Actually, it's about eight or 10 feet higher; note the ladder on the left.

I took a brief look at the work zone where the I-69/I-465 system interchange will be located and not much has changed image wise, so no pictures of that. Work is still continuing of course, but it primarily involves underground utilities and drainage. Ground settlement also is still ongoing. Construction there will kick into high gear early next year.

Edit: grammar; minor wording edits

bmeiser

Quote from: ITB on July 14, 2022, 12:35:25 PM
There was a crash early this morning at the State Road 37/SR-CR 144 intersection. It happened around 6:20am, and was significant enough that two firetrucks, one fire rescue vehicle, and at least one ambulance responded. The scene was captured by an INDOT traffic camera.

INDOT Trafficwise camera

INDOT Trafficwise camera

Link: INDOT Trafficwise

As an aside, the bottom picture depicts the recently placed beams for the bridge over Bluff Creek that will carry the northbound exit ramp to CR 144.
One of Bargersville's 9 Tesla police cars featured here.

Pixel 6

ITB

On the return trip from IND, I swung over from SR 67 to SR 37 via the backroads of south Indianapolis – Camby Road, Mann, Southport, etc. All along the stretch of SR 37 between Southport Road and State Road 144 was a beehive of construction activity. Earth moving, paving, bridge work, you name it, it was happening.

It was a typical Indiana summer day weatherwise. Sunny, warm, with a touch of haze in the sky. Not quite noon, the sun was high in the sky. Although strong sunlight is not ideal for good picture taking, I snapped off a few nonetheless.

Photos were taken Tuesday, July 29, 2022.

Looking north with the telephoto lens from about a quarter mile north of the State Road 144 overpass. In the deep background is the Smith Valley Road construction zone, where an interchange will be built.  The southbound entrance ramp from Smith Valley Road is discernible, but not particularly sharp.

Closer look.

What the eye sees; looking north. On the left, a crew was placing dowel rod assemblies in preparation for another run of concrete paving.

Instead of taking the assemblies one by one from the truck, the crew used the mounted mini crane to move a stack to the ground.

The harsh midday sunlight and heavy summer air made getting a tack sharp long range photo well nigh impossible, even using the tripod and remote shutter. I'm sure there are others who can do better – those who have better equipment and better skills. I knew it was going to be a challenge from the git-go. Perhaps later this summer, and when the sun's lower in the sky, I'll give it another shot.

Looking south toward the State Road 144 overpass.

Closer look. A concrete pour was underway for one of the bridge's superstructure columns, which appears to be some sort of design element to make the overpass, well, a little less ordinary.

Changing locations, here's a trio looking north from near SR 37/Banta Road intersection.

Looking north toward the State Road 144 overpass. In the background are the towers of downtown Indianapolis, as well as the smokestacks of IPL's Harding Street Generation Station. Looking at Google Maps, it seems the downtown towers are roughly 15-17 miles north of where I was taking the photo – the SR 37/Banta Road intersection. The smoke stacks are a bit closer around 12-13 miles. Please bear in mind these are rough estimates.

Closer look.

Different perspective. In the foreground is the new pavement of the northbound lanes. Kind of wish a clear or semi-clear joint sealant was used instead of the black. The black filler give the road an aged appearance, which it definitely isn't.

One more looking north toward the construction zone between SR 144 and Smith Valley Road.

ITB

On Sunday, I took a jaunt to Morgan County for a look-see. Two hours total – half an hour up, half hour back, and about an hour for picture taking. The sun was low in the evening sky. After my first stop, however, I realized that I would lose the "light" once it dropped below the treeline, so I quickened my pace.

Construction is on the verge of wrapping up between Martinsville and State Road 144. Late this week or early next, the Teeters Road overpass, just north of Martinsville, will open, as will the recently completed connecting frontage road – the extension of Morgan Street. Work continues on the Myra Lane overpass and short adjoining road segments, but that should complete either late this month or early next. Once that finishes up, the temporary driveways for First United Methodist Church and Ozark Fisheries will be sealed off. After that, only minor tasks will remain, such as grinding rumble strips, installing guardrails, landscaping, and permanent striping.

This may be the final set of pictures for Morgan County. Photos were taken Sunday, July 31, 2022.

The Teeters Road overpass; looking north. On the left is a sliver of the extension of Morgan Street, where a guardrail will be installed.

Looking north from the Teeters Road overpass toward the Myra Lane overpass.

Looking south from near the Myra Lane overpass. In the background is the Teeters Road overpass.

Different perspective of the Teeters Road overpass; looking southeast.

The Myra Lane overpass; looking slightly northeast. Although classes won't start for another three weeks, students are beginning to trickle back to Bloomington, as many apartment leases begin in August. For those who don't know, Bloomington is home to the main campus of Indiana University and its 50,000 students.

The view looking southeast from the Teeters Road overpass. Wouldn't surprise me if someone moved the barrier to go across the overpass.

Looking north from near the Teeters Road overpass. Although not officially open, the extension of Morgan Street proved too enticing for a handful of drivers. To be fair, there was a sign noting the road could be used to access the golf club, but I didn't see anyone enter or exit there.

Another view looking south from the Myra Lane overpass.

Rebar for the north sidewall of the Myra Lane ovepass, and adjoining falsework; looking east.

Another look southeast from near the Teeters Road overpass. With the sun now behind the treeline, the light was rapidly giving way.

And, again, looking south from the Myra Lane overpass.

ITB

A few more pictures. Again, the photos were taken Sunday, July 31, 2022.

Looking slightly southeast from the Teeters Road overpass, located about a mile north of the I-69/SR 44 interchange in Martinsville.

Teeters Road ovepass; looking east.

Shifting a bit further north in Morgan County, the view looking north from the Egbert Road overpass. New signage is now up for the Henderson Ford Road interchange.

Turing around, the view looking south from Egbert. To get your bearings, the Myra Lane overpass is about a quarter mile past the crest of the hill. In the left background is the temporary driveway for First United Methodist Church—Martinsville. Hmm ... seems we have a bit of tailgating. The construction zone speed limit is 45 mph, and some drivers try to stay close to it. Others, however, find it really irritating, and are bothered by anything below 60 mph, or even 65.

And here's the Myra Lane overpass; looking east.

Another shot looking north from the Egbert Road overpass. In the background, note the removal of the orange barrels on the northbound lanes. Between approximately this spot and the SR-CR 144 intersection, all four lanes are now in use, with the speed limit increased to 55 mph.

Looking southeast from near the Myra Lane overpass toward the Ozark Fisheries facility. If you need to stock your pond with Koi or Goldfish, or whatever, I'm sure they'd been happy to help you out. Martinsville was once dubbed the Goldfish Capital of the world. Haven't heard this in recent years, so maybe it's not longer relevant or just not promoted.

Another view of the Teeters Road overpass; looking southeast. With the opening of the Martinsville segment late last year, truck traffic appears to have ticked up.

Again, looking north from the Egbert Road overpass. As it's Sunday, people are heading north, returning home from a weekend of recreational activity on the lakes of south-central Indiana, often Lake Monroe or Lake Lemon in Monroe County, or Patoka Lake further south, as well as several others.

Looking south from the Myra Lane overpass. Since most of Indiana falls lies within the western portion of the Eastern Time Zone, summer evenings are long with the sun setting after 9:00pm for several weeks. A lot of people enjoy the delicious, long, lingering evenings. But they do produce a rather late start at the drive-in theaters. Yes, there's still a few around.

edwaleni

I had the pleasure to drive through the I-69 construction zone this past weekend.

I thought about taking some pictures but ITB has that covered way better than myself.

I only went as far as Waverly from the I-465 circle.

With the advent of GPS based highway construction, you get unusually completed segments mixed with lots of temp pavements and lane shifts.

Unfortunately INDOT has closed a lot of intersections already south of Southport Road and this caught me a little off guard. In one case I had to go all the way down to IN-144 when I passed the traffic lights at Fairview Road and didn't know it was the last one for awhile.

They are doing a good job of converting Old IN-37 into a frontage road, with roundabouts at Smith Valley Road. But getting on it at IN-144 requires a detour and I was forced to u-turn to come back and take the detour route.

I didn't mind all the oversights honestly as I was mostly there for historical research and Google Maps was worthless in a construction zone.

The collection of dirt at I-465 for the future ramps is moving at a fast clip. IN-37 south of I-465 was nothing but a mass of gravel and aggregate trucks coming and going. Lots of loose gravel so watch your windshields.

The light at Southport was long and when I drove through there was a lot of traffic on Southport passing through, so this is going to become a busy exit, especially after they make the connection with Decatur Township.

As for that gravel pit "tunnel" under I-465, the materials firm has knocked out a gap out of their dirt wall on the north side of I-465 and it appears they are routing some vehicles through it as I saw a lot of tire tracks and they have installed night lighting for the tunnel. On an earlier post I had mentioned that it wasn't being used anymore, but it appears they have reactivated it for the project.

With I-70 closed near downtown, this has shifted a lot of traffic onto the south side of I-465 and the construction zone for I-69 does get backed up and you have to watch it when going east and crossing the White River, the slow down is at times abrupt and with little or no shoulders due to the construction it can get a hairy at times. But oddly when you get past IN-37 exit zone, the traffic clears out and gets back to normal fairly quickly. If I didn't know better I would say that the freight trucks are already starting their move to use the I-69 route.

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on August 16, 2022, 12:55:48 PM
I had the pleasure to drive through the I-69 construction zone this past weekend.

I thought about taking some pictures but ITB has that covered way better than myself.

I only went as far as Waverly from the I-465 circle.

With the advent of GPS based highway construction, you get unusually completed segments mixed with lots of temp pavements and lane shifts.

Unfortunately INDOT has closed a lot of intersections already south of Southport Road and this caught me a little off guard. In one case I had to go all the way down to IN-144 when I passed the traffic lights at Fairview Road and didn't know it was the last one for awhile.

They are doing a good job of converting Old IN-37 into a frontage road, with roundabouts at Smith Valley Road. But getting on it at IN-144 requires a detour and I was forced to u-turn to come back and take the detour route.

I didn't mind all the oversights honestly as I was mostly there for historical research and Google Maps was worthless in a construction zone.

The collection of dirt at I-465 for the future ramps is moving at a fast clip. IN-37 south of I-465 was nothing but a mass of gravel and aggregate trucks coming and going. Lots of loose gravel so watch your windshields.

The light at Southport was long and when I drove through there was a lot of traffic on Southport passing through, so this is going to become a busy exit, especially after they make the connection with Decatur Township.

As for that gravel pit "tunnel" under I-465, the materials firm has knocked out a gap out of their dirt wall on the north side of I-465 and it appears they are routing some vehicles through it as I saw a lot of tire tracks and they have installed night lighting for the tunnel. On an earlier post I had mentioned that it wasn't being used anymore, but it appears they have reactivated it for the project.

With I-70 closed near downtown, this has shifted a lot of traffic onto the south side of I-465 and the construction zone for I-69 does get backed up and you have to watch it when going east and crossing the White River, the slow down is at times abrupt and with little or no shoulders due to the construction it can get a hairy at times. But oddly when you get past IN-37 exit zone, the traffic clears out and gets back to normal fairly quickly. If I didn't know better I would say that the freight trucks are already starting their move to use the I-69 route.

that tunnel is being used to move that dirt across 465, i saw a giant dump truck cross one day when i was stuck in traffic down there!

ITB

"INDOT dedicates Myra Lane, Teeters Road overpasses above future I-69"

With the opening of these overpasses, construction is on the verge of wrapping up in Morgan County. A few tasks remain, such as grinding rumble strips, striping, and installing cable barrier. The temporary traffic signal at Banta Road, located near the Morgan/Johnson county line, most likely will remain until all the ramps of the SR 144 interchange open.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ITB on August 24, 2022, 05:47:00 PM

"INDOT dedicates Myra Lane, Teeters Road overpasses above future I-69"

With the opening of these overpasses, construction is on the verge of wrapping up in Morgan County. A few tasks remain, such as grinding rumble strips, striping, and installing cable barrier. The temporary traffic signal at Banta Road, located near the Morgan/Johnson county line, most likely will remain until all the ramps of the SR 144 interchange open.
ITB, any thoughts on when they might get up to finishing the road up to the Wicker Road intersection?  That's my turn off to go in on Bluff Road (old 37) to downtown.  Basketball season is just around the corner.

Interstate 69 Fan

BGS for the County Line Exit are up heading SB from Southport Rd, and NB only at the actual off-ramp. Heck even the on-ramp signs from Co Line Rd have I-69 shields revealed and up.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.