Regional Boards > Southeast

I-61...anything new?

<< < (3/3)

golden eagle:
Or x20, since I don't think it has been determined whether the proposed interstate would end at I-20 or at I-55.

froggie:

--- Quote ---That'd be a long 3-digit interstate.
--- End quote ---

Long, yes.  But not unprecedented (I-476 PA, for example).

--- Quote ---An even-numbered I-x55 would make more sense since it would bypass having to meet I-55 in Louisiana. Kind of like I-675 in Atlanta providing an easier jaunt onto I-285 for interests on I-20 eastbound.
--- End quote ---

Except that the south end may not be at I-10, but south of I-10.  In such a case, an odd 3-digit number would be appropriate...

--- Quote ---Or x20, since I don't think it has been determined whether the proposed interstate would end at I-20 or at I-55.
--- End quote ---

There's that possibility too.  But I see this more as a spur route off I-55 for those coming from further north (i.e. Memphis/St. Louis/Chicago) heading to the Mississippi coast instead of New Orleans...

golden eagle:
I'm going off of fuzzy memory, but when talk of an I-61 first came about, I thought central Mississippi transportation commissioner Dick Hall said it would end at Richland, thus it would end at I-20. Of course, that doesn't mean the terminus would end there. Perhaps, a better terminus would be for I-61 to end at the proposed Airport Parkway. At the southern end, I'd rather for it to end at U.S. 90 than at I-10.

florida:

--- Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2009, 10:07:11 AM ---

--- Quote ---An even-numbered I-x55 would make more sense since it would bypass having to meet I-55 in Louisiana. Kind of like I-675 in Atlanta providing an easier jaunt onto I-285 for interests on I-20 eastbound.
--- End quote ---

Except that the south end may not be at I-10, but south of I-10.  In such a case, an odd 3-digit number would be appropriate...

--- End quote ---

If there's still a clean slate down there from Katrina, then it would be easier to have it end south of I-10.

froggie:

--- Quote ---If there's still a clean slate down there from Katrina, then it would be easier to have it end south of I-10.
--- End quote ---

There isn't a "clean slate", so to speak, but the "Port of Gulfport connector" has long been planned and is thus far the only segment funded for construction.

I've read state documents that list said connector as "I-310", although such a number has not (to my knowledge) been approved by either MDOT or FHWA.  MDOT is labeling it as MS 601.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version