Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

The Future of US 12 in Wisconsin

(1/45) > >>

US 12 fan:
Now that the Baraboo Bypass is open, what is the future of US 12 in Wisconsin?

1. Will there be a bypass at Sauk City? I know there can't be any talk about it until 2020.
2. Will DOT restart plans for having a bypass in Fort Atkinson eventually?
3. Will they eventually expand the freeway end at Elkhorn to eventually connect with the Whitewater Bypass?
4. What parts of US 12 does the DOT want to turn into a freeway or at least expand the parts that are a freeway? I know they are looking at plans to expanding the freeway from outside Middleton to Highway 19 at the very least but are there any other parts?

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: US 12 fan on August 20, 2017, 09:46:11 PM ---Now that the Baraboo Bypass is open, what is the future of US 12 in Wisconsin?

1. Will there be a bypass at Sauk City? I know there can't be any talk about it until 2020.
3. Will they eventually expand the freeway end at Elkhorn to eventually connect with the Whitewater Bypass?
4. What parts of US 12 does the DOT want to turn into a freeway or at least expand the parts that are a freeway? I know they are looking at plans to expanding the freeway from outside Middleton to Highway 19 at the very least but are there any other parts?

--- End quote ---

2.  I doubt it. Nothing will happen for decades, if ever. Unless traffic counts go way up, it really isn't needed except on some summer weekends.  Rehabbing US-12 between Fort Atkinson and Whitewater was supposed to take place next year, but now most of it's been pushed back to 2022.  It's just not a high priority.

3.  I doubt this as well.  While US-12 between Elkhorn and WI-20 can be a bit of a mess, it's not terrible.  And the expense and controversy of cutting through the Kettle Moraine likely means it will politically never fly.

The only way these go forward IMO is if Illinois ever upgrades their portion, which looks likely never to happen either.

peterj920:
In the majors project report, US 12 between Elkhorn and Whitewater is being looked at as a major project candidate.  Whitewater is now the largest city without a 4 lane highway connection, so there may be a push to include the city to Wisconsin's freeway/expressway network.  That was the argument that Marshfield made for upgrading US 10.  I have a link to the report below. 

http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/status.pdf

JREwing78:
I'm pretty sure, absent a massive influx of highway funding, that nothing's going to happen to US-12 between Fort Atkinson and Elkhorn, or with US-14 between Darien and Madison. It may be on the books, but there's not much political will to fix the funding issues with WisDOT.

GeekJedi:

--- Quote from: US 12 fan on August 20, 2017, 09:46:11 PM ---Now that the Baraboo Bypass is open, what is the future of US 12 in Wisconsin?

--- End quote ---

1. I see that as likely, if the funds are available.
2. I think that ship sailed. The traffic numbers don't support it at this point.
3. Unlikely. With interstate speeds at 70MPH, and the I-90 expansion, there's no real need for it anymore. The intention of an "upgraded" US-12 wasn't to serve Whitewater with a four-lane route, it was to provide a Chicago-to-Madison route.
4. I don't see many upgrades of US-12 near or mid-term. The traffic counts don't justify it, and as time moves on, much of that corridor just isn't as necessary as it once was. With reduced DOT funding, there are many other projects that need to be at the front of the line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version