News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Williamson County (Northern Austin Metro) Projects

Started by thisdj78, June 11, 2021, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

Quote from: MaxConcrete on October 27, 2022, 10:46:24 AM
I was driving through the area near the Samsung construction zone, and I saw a tent with a group of people at FM 3343. It turned out it was the official groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the FM 3343 overpass. I missed the main event, but there was still some activity and I took these photos.

When leaving the event I saw a car-carrier with a load of Teslas going to a parking lot on the southeast corner of the intersection. That parking lot is the site where Teslas are loaded onto trains.

I just looked at the long term schematic for this intersection, looks pretty clear that they intend for US79 to be a full freeway between Hutto and Taylor:

https://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/Departments/Infrastructure/Roadbond/Documents/FM3349/20200910-FM3349-Final_Ultimate.pdf?ver=2020-09-14-152659-823

thisdj78

According to this document, construction will start mid-2024 to fill the frontage road gap on SH45:

https://www.pflugervilletx.gov/home/showpublishedimage/14665/637981636123370000

The Ghostbuster

I know no one can predict the future, but I have a feeling that building the TX 45 frontage roads between FM 1626 and Interstate 35 will be the last portion of the highway that is ever constructed. I get the sense that trying to complete the full 45 beltway around Austin will be very difficult, if not impossible.

thisdj78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2023, 01:19:19 PM
I know no one can predict the future, but I have a feeling that building the TX 45 frontage roads between FM 1626 and Interstate 35 will be the last portion of the highway that is ever constructed. I get the sense that trying to complete the full 45 beltway around Austin will be very difficult, if not impossible.

I could see it being extended west from 1826 to US290 (it's actually in the 2045 Master Plan) or maybe even up to SH71. But the gap between US183 and SH71 never will, which is unfortunate because that is the corridor that needs a limited access highway the most.

Bobby5280

Once the Southern leg of TX-45 is completed across I-35 (filling the unbuilt gap between FM-1626 and I-35) it will create a better possibility of extending the West end of TX-45 out to meet up with the US-290 corridor. The US-290 corridor itself will have to be upgraded to Interstate standards in some manner at least out to the US-281 corridor, if not all the way out to I-10.

But, yeah, there's no chance of TX-45 actually becoming a complete loop around Austin. TX-360 on Austin's West side is the only one with a shot at being gradually upgraded to full controlled access (one intersection at a time). Farther West it's a lot of upper class towns & neighborhoods (Bee Cave, The Hills, Lakeway, Briarcliff, etc). If anyone tries to make a bypass to the West of all that stuff they're going to be on the door step of US-281.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 01, 2023, 05:00:07 PM
Once the Southern leg of TX-45 is completed across I-35 (filling the unbuilt gap between FM-1626 and I-35) it will create a better possibility of extending the West end of TX-45 out to meet up with the US-290 corridor. The US-290 corridor itself will have to be upgraded to Interstate standards in some manner at least out to the US-281 corridor, if not all the way out to I-10.

But, yeah, there's no chance of TX-45 actually becoming a complete loop around Austin. TX-360 on Austin's West side is the only one with a shot at being gradually upgraded to full controlled access (one intersection at a time). Farther West it's a lot of upper class towns & neighborhoods (Bee Cave, The Hills, Lakeway, Briarcliff, etc). If anyone tries to make a bypass to the West of all that stuff they're going to be on the door step of US-281.

What's interesting is that they are actually planning to build a grade separated intersection on 620 at Anderson Mill. Just that intersection alone will require a lot of property to be acquired for ROW:

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/aus/rm620-anderson-mill/082621-schematic.pdf

Bobby5280

That is interesting. But the end result will be a bit odd since it would leave about a mile long non-freeway/toll-road gap from the West side of the TX-45/US-183 interchange. Farther South along RM-620 they might be able to do a couple more grade separations at intersections. It would be a miracle if they could push a freeway as far South as Mansfield Dam. On the other side of the dam, going down toward Bee Cave, I think that road in its current configuration is as good as it's going to get.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 02, 2023, 03:15:53 PM
That is interesting. But the end result will be a bit odd since it would leave about a mile long non-freeway/toll-road gap from the West side of the TX-45/US-183 interchange. Farther South along RM-620 they might be able to do a couple more grade separations at intersections. It would be a miracle if they could push a freeway as far South as Mansfield Dam. On the other side of the dam, going down toward Bee Cave, I think that road in its current configuration is as good as it's going to get.

The 2045 plan shows it eventually being completely limited access between Anderson Ln and 183 but I haven't seen any details or schematics on that last segment:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/lake-travis-view/2019/07/18/2-major-corridors-near-lake-travis-could-be-reversible-in-2045/4665665007/

thisdj78

MaxConcrete

Quote from: thisdj78 on October 17, 2023, 07:53:34 AM
Williamson County announces Segment 1 of Samsung Highway open

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/williamson-county-announces-segment-1-of-samsung-highway-open/

It appears that the project mentioned in the article is the segment colored dark blue in the map. The green route is a planned future freeway, but is starting small with only one side of frontage roads being built. I don't know the status of the work on the frontage road going toward SH 130.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

thisdj78

Quote from: MaxConcrete on October 20, 2023, 10:58:27 PM
Quote from: thisdj78 on October 17, 2023, 07:53:34 AM
Williamson County announces Segment 1 of Samsung Highway open

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/williamson-county-announces-segment-1-of-samsung-highway-open/

It appears that the project mentioned in the article is the segment colored dark blue in the map. The green route is a planned future freeway, but is starting small with only one side of frontage roads being built. I don't know the status of the work on the frontage road going toward SH 130.

The section from Toll 130 to CR137 opened this past week (link below).

Interestingly enough, they refer to it as the East Wilco highway, but up until last week, we've been referring to it as the Southeast Loop. Segment 3 intersection at US79 is currently under construction, was it you that was there shortly after the ground breaking or someone else?

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/williamson-county/williamson-county-opens-first-segment-of-east-wilco-highway/

MaxConcrete

TxDOT is soliciting a consultant for SH 29 from IH 35 westward about 26 miles to Bertram.

All of this corridor except a short section near IH 35 is slated to be a freeway in the Williamson County long range plan.

However, the meeting presentation does not give any indication of the ultimate design standard (freeway or less) for any part of the corridor.

The Williamson County plan shows a bypass to the south of Liberty Hill. There is no indication of a bypass in the TxDOT presentation, but the Liberty Hill section is designated as a separate section (see page 28), with the work scope not including schematic. I don't know what that means, because if a bypass is being considered, I would expect schematics to be in the scope of work.

I suppose we'll find out more in about 2 years when the process reaches the point of public meetings.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

I wouldn't expect any of TX-29 between Liberty Hill and I-35 to be upgraded to an Interstate-quality freeway. They would have better luck concentrating on Ronald Reagan Blvd (where at least some efforts have been made to preserve room for expansion). Even to the West of Liberty Hill to Bertran there is quite a bit of development alongside existing TX-29.

If the ultimate plan is an East-West freeway/tollway connection from US-281/Burnet to I-35/Georgetown pretty much the whole thing would need to be built on a new terrain route, except for the portion that can overlap Ronald Reagan Blvd. At least that would provide a do-able connection into I-35.

longhorn

Williamson county needed to start on Ronald Reagan expansion yesterday.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 20, 2023, 09:37:35 PM
I wouldn't expect any of TX-29 between Liberty Hill and I-35 to be upgraded to an Interstate-quality freeway. They would have better luck concentrating on Ronald Reagan Blvd (where at least some efforts have been made to preserve room for expansion). Even to the West of Liberty Hill to Bertran there is quite a bit of development alongside existing TX-29.

If the ultimate plan is an East-West freeway/tollway connection from US-281/Burnet to I-35/Georgetown pretty much the whole thing would need to be built on a new terrain route, expect for the portion that can overlap Ronald Reagan Blvd. At least that would provide a do-able connection into I-35.

The RM 2243 freeway draft environmental assessment was completed in March. RM 2243 runs generally parallel to SH 29 and is only 2-3 miles south of SH 29, so building a freeway on both corridors would be somewhat redundant. As always, money is limited, especially with the IH 35 rebuild consuming most available funds in the Austin district. A freeway on RM 2243 should be able to meet east-west travel needs east of SH 183. There is a better justification for an SH 29 freeway west of SH 183.

I still hope for SH 29 freeway status as indicated in the Williamson County long-range plan. Eventually we'll find out what TxDOT has in mind (and can afford).
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

ski-man

- Wonder if this would get a Texas/State Highway designation iso a FM road when built?

- Ku Klux Klan Cave along the route???

thisdj78

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.