Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

<< < (2/296) > >>

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: osu-lsu on August 13, 2010, 01:42:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: ShawnP on August 12, 2010, 07:09:23 PM ---Was reading in the latest STIP for Kentucky today that Kentucky must keep the feds abreast of the big dog projects in Kentucky aka Louisville Bridges Project, Brent Spence Bridge, I-69 and I-66. Of those I see the first two as definite in the next ten years and a maybe on the third and dead on the forth. Kentucky should use money intended for I-66 on I-65 (six laning and Jersey's) between Bowling Green and Elizabethtown which is very dangerous and scene of some horrific traffic accidents recently.

--- End quote ---

Seemed like I-65 was six lanes for most of the way from Nashville to Louisville when I drove it back in December.

--- End quote ---

I-65 is six lanes from the state line north to the vicinity of Exit 43, which is the Cumberland Parkway, and then from Elizabethtown (Exit 93) to the state line. There is a 50-mile stretch that is four lanes.

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on August 13, 2010, 02:14:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: osu-lsu on August 13, 2010, 01:42:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: ShawnP on August 12, 2010, 07:09:23 PM ---Kentucky should use money intended for I-66 on I-65 (six laning and Jersey's) between Bowling Green and Elizabethtown which is very dangerous and scene of some horrific traffic accidents recently.

--- End quote ---

Seemed like I-65 was six lanes for most of the way from Nashville to Louisville when I drove it back in December.

--- End quote ---

I-65 is six lanes from the state line north to the vicinity of Exit 43, which is the Cumberland Parkway, and then from Elizabethtown (Exit 93) to the state line. There is a 50-mile stretch that is four lanes.

--- End quote ---

Thought I-65 was 6 lanes north Bowling Green, just couldn't remember where it ran out.

ShawnP:
That fifty mile stretch has been the area of some horrible crossovers. Earlier this year a Tractor Trailer crossed over just north of the six laning and killed 10 people in a Church van on the other side. I have seen plans for a five mile stretch starting next spring and they have slowly spit out the money for ROW and plans. But this area is in dire need of upgrades.

Grzrd:

--- Quote from: truejd on August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM ---Does anyone know the status of the portion of I-69 that would connect Henderson, KY and Evansville, IN?  I've read about plans for it in the local newspapers around there but haven't heard anything in a while.

--- End quote ---
Here's a link to an article in yesterday's Evansville Courier-Press which states that I-69 Ohio River Bridge funding split will be 2/3 Kentucky and 1/3 Indiana: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/sep/18/no-headline---18a04i-69/

--- Quote ---The total cost of the bridge and 13-mile section near Henderson is estimated at $1 billion, according to Ted Merryman, the I-69 Project Manager for Kentucky.
"Kentucky will be responsible for about two-thirds of the funding and Indiana will be responsible for a third of the funding," Merryman said in his overview presentation.

--- End quote ---

Grzrd:

--- Quote from: Grzrd on September 20, 2010, 12:38:59 PM ---"The total cost of the bridge and 13-mile section near Henderson is estimated at $1 billion, according to Ted Merryman, the I-69 Project Manager for Kentucky.
"Kentucky will be responsible for about two-thirds of the funding and Indiana will be responsible for a third of the funding," Merryman said in his overview presentation."

--- End quote ---
According to article in today's Evansville Courier Press, the cost estimate for the bridge plus the new roadway to tie into the Pennyrile Parkway has risen to $1.4 billion:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/feb/12/lobbyists-to-be-hired-for-i-69-bridge/

The article indicates that Western Kentucky and Indiana groups have hired Appian, Inc., an Indianapolis firm specializing in transportation lobbying, to lobby for federal funding for the project.  The groups concede that tolls will comprise part of the funding, but will only cover 26% to 43% of the cost.  The groups also acknowledge that, even with the lobbying effort starting now, the bridge is AT LEAST a decade away.

With that timetable, no telling how many billions of dollars the bridge would ultimately cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version