Regional Boards > Central States

Nebraska

<< < (29/30) > >>

JayhawkCO:

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2023, 09:19:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AM ---I noticed that in the shield for Nebraska state routes, the covered wagons are not being pulled by horses. Instead it appears to be some sort of cattle instead of usual animals pulling those sort of buggies.

Does anyone know the reasoning to the history to the shield’s design. Wiki says it’s based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20’s to focus on the state’s history, but Wiki is jot creditable as far as facts as it’s made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

I think next to the Sunflower of Kansas, the Nebraska shield is quite interesting in design. I actually like the covered wagon on them as it’s fitting for such a state in part of the Great Plains where those were the first transport vehicles prior to our autos of today.

--- End quote ---
Surely you have heard of oxen?

--- End quote ---

Or played video games in the late 80's where your little brother died of typhoid?

roadman65:

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2023, 09:19:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AM ---I noticed that in the shield for Nebraska state routes, the covered wagons are not being pulled by horses. Instead it appears to be some sort of cattle instead of usual animals pulling those sort of buggies.

Does anyone know the reasoning to the history to the shield’s design. Wiki says it’s based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20’s to focus on the state’s history, but Wiki is jot creditable as far as facts as it’s made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

I think next to the Sunflower of Kansas, the Nebraska shield is quite interesting in design. I actually like the covered wagon on them as it’s fitting for such a state in part of the Great Plains where those were the first transport vehicles prior to our autos of today.

--- End quote ---
Surely you have heard of oxen?

--- End quote ---

I was going to say oxen, but felt more comfortable being more ambiguous just in case I’m wrong as some users ( not saying you) will love to point that out as we are AA Roads where users can get into the most heated arguments of any given topic.

J N Winkler:
George Koster's internal history of the then Department of Roads (1997) notes that Cochran designed the pioneer wagon silhouette in 1926.  He had originally planned to use the Plains bison as the basis, but Manitoba got there first.

Cochran was also the longest-serving agency head (11 years and 4 months, from March 1923 to July 1934, and again for 11 months, from January to December 1959) as of 1997, when Koster wrote.  I suspect that record still stands.

triplemultiplex:

--- Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 21, 2023, 10:25:56 AM ---Or played video games in the late 80's where your little brother died of typhoid?

--- End quote ---
Yeah clearly someone has never lost their oxen while crossing the Platte River. :-D

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AM ---Does anyone know the reasoning to the history to the shield’s design. Wiki says it’s based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20’s to focus on the state’s history, but Wiki is jot creditable as far as facts as it’s made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

--- End quote ---

Which wiki? AARoads Wiki has at least one roadgeek fact-checking everything newly posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version