Regional Boards > Southeast

Louisiana

<< < (240/243) > >>

jasonh300:
The Harvey Tunnel prepares for a 2-year shutdown for refurbishment.

https://www.wwltv.com/amp/article/news/local/harvey-tunnel-prepares-for-shutdown-construction-irritates-drivers/289-ae1e4712-7d2c-4858-96a3-bf0ec24c6fa0

Bobby5280:
I'm kind of surprised they didn't simply close down the Harvey Tunnel once the Westbank Expressway bridges were built over the canal back in the 1980's.

bwana39:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 17, 2023, 01:56:53 PM ---I'm kind of surprised they didn't simply close down the Harvey Tunnel once the Westbank Expressway bridges were built over the canal back in the 1980's.

--- End quote ---

I had thought that was the plan. The tunnel has leaked pretty much since it was built.

jasonh300:

--- Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 02:17:52 PM ---I had thought that was the plan. The tunnel has leaked pretty much since it was built.

--- End quote ---

Are you confusing the Harvey Tunnel with the Belle Chasse Tunnel (the Belle Chasse Car Wash)?  I've been driving the Harvey Tunnel since 1988 and don't ever recall it leaking.  The Belle Chasse Tunnel sometimes has water pouring out though the crack around the lowest point.

I suppose they didn't eliminate the tunnels since the Expressway is a commercial corridor.  The industrial areas on each side of the canal are much more easily reached from the tunnel, and in recent years, a diversion of Destrehan Avenue on the west side of the tunnel allows for traffic to come out of the tunnel and turn left directly onto an extension of Destrehan. 

bwana39:

--- Quote from: jasonh300 on November 17, 2023, 02:45:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: bwana39 on November 17, 2023, 02:17:52 PM ---I had thought that was the plan. The tunnel has leaked pretty much since it was built.

--- End quote ---

Are you confusing the Harvey Tunnel with the Belle Chasse Tunnel (the Belle Chasse Car Wash)?  I've been driving the Harvey Tunnel since 1988 and don't ever recall it leaking.  The Belle Chasse Tunnel sometimes has water pouring out though the crack around the lowest point.

I suppose they didn't eliminate the tunnels since the Expressway is a commercial corridor.  The industrial areas on each side of the canal are much more easily reached from the tunnel, and in recent years, a diversion of Destrehan Avenue on the west side of the tunnel allows for traffic to come out of the tunnel and turn left directly onto an extension of Destrehan.

--- End quote ---

You are probably right. I didn't know there were two tunnels down there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version