News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Proposed US 412 Upgrade

Started by US71, May 22, 2021, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I find it interesting that I-42 is going to be a follow route on I-244, which means at least for now, a 42/244 overlap will exist from the NW corner of the IDL to I-44.

edwaleni

Quote from: bugo on September 11, 2023, 09:32:16 AM
It's going to be Interstate 42:

Quotea) Districts IV and VIII — Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Tulsa, Osage, Pawnee, Payne and Noble Counties
Add Designation of I-42 in various locations throughout the state

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/odot/transportation-commision/agenda/2023/tc_agenda-202309-r.pdf

I would say that puts it to rest.

The Ghostbuster

So, there may/will be two future Interstate 42s. The 42 designation still needs to be approved for it to be placed on the US 412 corridor, but it will probably be done.

bugo

Plutonic Panda

So fucking dumb. This road should be I-50. I will forever be prepared to die on that hill.

bugo

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 11, 2023, 08:24:10 PM
So fucking dumb. This road should be I-50. I will forever be prepared to die on that hill.

Me, too. The Springdale Chamber of Commerce blew a golden opportunity to be able to brag about being at the "corner of I-49 and I-50". 42 is about the worst choice of the eligible numbers that they could have picked. There's already an I-42, and about half of the western I-42 will be between I-40 and I-44, and the other half will be between I-44 and I-70, so no number is perfect, but 42 is not the best choice they could have made. I thought they would go for 46 or 48, which would have been preferable to 42, even though I was secretly rooting for the underdog I-50 designation.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah I-42 was the worst of all possible choices. Oklahoma is gonna Oklahoma. I would have to think they consulted ARDOT off the record about it as well, no?

vdeane

Why the hell would anyone duplicate I-42 when there are other perfectly good numbers available?  I hope someone from AASHTO or FHWA puts a stop to this madness.  If anything, we should be working to eliminate the duplicate 2dis, not add more of them.  I would go so far as to say that 42 is not an eligible number because I-42 already exists.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Strider

Wait a minute.. they're about to rename it to I-42? What... I-42 already exists in NC as an under construction interstate (soon to be signed official in some areas). What are they doing?

Revive 755

^ Maybe there's secret plan (that never comes to fruition) to connect the two I-42's?  :spin:

Strider

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 11, 2023, 09:12:24 PM
^ Maybe there's secret plan (that never comes to fruition) to connect the two I-42's?  :spin:

LOL. If that is their secret plan, it isn't happening.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Strider on September 11, 2023, 09:31:38 PM

It's not a done deal yet.  I haven't seen any movement on the Arkansas side to confirm this number, and it's still up to AASHTO/FHWA to approve, barring a Congressional designation, which has happened in recent Arkansas history with I-57 in Arkansas and Missouri.  I'm not offended by I-42 necessarily, but I agree with Bugo that Springdale is blowing a golden opportunity to be the numeric center of the Interstate Highway System.  It also makes it an easier lift to get it extended easterly eventually toward Nashville, which is where High Priority Corridor 8 has it's easterly terminus from the 1991 ISTEA.  It's not too late to write congressmen to get it reconsidered.

Bobby5280

I don't mind I-46 or I-48 being signed along that US-412 route. But turning and burning an "I-50" designation for a very short, MINOR Interstate route would way surpass the shameless vanity of that I-99 crap in Pennsylvania. Hell, if we're going to go that far why not go for broke and try to call the route Interstate ONE!? JFC.
:-/

bugo

I-50 fits into the grid as well as any number does. It will be north of I-44 and south of I-70. And they're not going to build a cross country I-50, so why save it for an occasion which will likely never happen?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

okc1

There needs to be a reduction of routes on the Tulsa IDL (inner loop). Last year I was going from South Tulsa to Sand Springs via US 64/OK-51. On the west leg of the loop, you have to cross all lanes of 244 to stay on 64/51. And there is a sharp curve right after you leave the loop. The addition of I-42 will just add to the confusion. Suggest breaking 51 into 2 separate routes and making 412 a hidden route.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

swake

Quote from: okc1 on September 12, 2023, 02:15:24 PM
There needs to be a reduction of routes on the Tulsa IDL (inner loop). Last year I was going from South Tulsa to Sand Springs via US 64/OK-51. On the west leg of the loop, you have to cross all lanes of 244 to stay on 64/51. And there is a sharp curve right after you leave the loop. The addition of I-42 will just add to the confusion. Suggest breaking 51 into 2 separate routes and making 412 a hidden route.

I-444 is already a hidden route on the IDL

bugo

Quote from: kphoger on September 12, 2023, 10:03:04 AM
Quote from: bugo on September 11, 2023, 08:49:15 PM
brag about being at the "corner of I-49 and I-50"
lol

I'm only about 20% joking, and that's only because I think it would be funny to see everybody lose their fucking minds if they did indeed designate it as I-50.

The Ghostbuster

Currently, Interstate 70 meets Interstate 71 in Columbus, Ohio; Interstates 73 and 74 are co-designated in North Carolina; Interstate 74 ends at Interstate 75 in Cincinatti, Ohio; Interstate 76 meets Interstate 77 in Akron, Ohio; Interstate 79 meets Interstate 80 southeast of Mercer, Pennsylvania and northwest of Grove City, Pennsylvania; Interstate 80 meets Interstate 81 near St. John's, Pennsylvania; and Interstate 90 meets Interstate 91 in the Springfield, Massachusetts area. In the future, Interstate 69 will meet Interstate 70 in Indianapolis, IN and Interstate 86 will meet Interstate 87 in Harriman, New York.

Strider

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 11, 2023, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: Strider on September 11, 2023, 09:31:38 PM

It's not a done deal yet.  I haven't seen any movement on the Arkansas side to confirm this number, and it's still up to AASHTO/FHWA to approve, barring a Congressional designation, which has happened in recent Arkansas history with I-57 in Arkansas and Missouri.  I'm not offended by I-42 necessarily, but I agree with Bugo that Springdale is blowing a golden opportunity to be the numeric center of the Interstate Highway System.  It also makes it an easier lift to get it extended easterly eventually toward Nashville, which is where High Priority Corridor 8 has it's easterly terminus from the 1991 ISTEA.  It's not too late to write congressmen to get it reconsidered.

NC is definitely not going for it (I live there and their plan is for I-42 to run from I-40 to Morehead City, that's it.) I doubt Tennessee will be willing to do that either.

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 12, 2023, 02:57:15 PM
Currently, Interstate 70 meets Interstate 71 in Columbus, Ohio; Interstates 73 and 74 are co-designated in North Carolina; Interstate 74 ends at Interstate 75 in Cincinatti, Ohio; Interstate 76 meets Interstate 77 in Akron, Ohio; Interstate 79 meets Interstate 80 southeast of Mercer, Pennsylvania and northwest of Grove City, Pennsylvania; Interstate 80 meets Interstate 81 near St. John's, Pennsylvania; and Interstate 90 meets Interstate 91 in the Springfield, Massachusetts area. In the future, Interstate 69 will meet Interstate 70 in Indianapolis, IN and Interstate 86 will meet Interstate 87 in Harriman, New York.

and i get so tired of ohio bragging about it all the time
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Not sure why people are getting worked up over a non-contiguous naming scheme.

I-76 has been non-contiguous since I-80S was renamed in Colorado years ago from Julesburg to Denver.

I-76 also goes from Youngstown to Seville, OH.

bugo

That's not a good reason to duplicate a number when there are unique numbers available that fit the grid just as well. There's no reason to use 42 when 46-50 are available.

vdeane

Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2023, 05:02:09 PM
Not sure why people are getting worked up over a non-contiguous naming scheme.

I-76 has been non-contiguous since I-80S was renamed in Colorado years ago from Julesburg to Denver.

I-76 also goes from Youngstown to Seville, OH.
I hate those too, but at least they have the excuse that there are few numbers available in that part of the grid (although I really think that I-84 and I-86 could be eliminated by making I-82 N-S and I-86 a 3di).  I-87 should be E-W and I-42 has plenty of other numbers available.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bobby5280

Quote from: bugoI-50 fits into the grid as well as any number does. It will be north of I-44 and south of I-70. And they're not going to build a cross country I-50, so why save it for an occasion which will likely never happen?

An "I-50" designation would imply major route importance. The fact that certain people are campaigning for that number only goes to prove my point. US-412 from Tulsa to Springdale is extremely NOT an important Interstate route. If we can get away with calling that "I-50" then that standard would open other ridiculous possibilities. Some jackass (a politician most likely) could come along and suggest something like the WA-16 freeway from Tacoma to Bremerton be labeled as Interstate 1.

Not all one thru ninety-nine digits need to be used up in Interstate highway designations. Considering how the US highway system has had so many routes decommissioned and cannibalized, maybe this situation could be something which helps protect US-50.

Quote from: okc1There needs to be a reduction of routes on the Tulsa IDL (inner loop).

Some routes could maybe not be signed. Still, the problems with Tulsa's IDL have more to do with the very small geographical size of the loop and its high frequency of exits and interchanges. Traffic weaving issues are going to be bad regardless of how the routes are signed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.