News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Can't delete first post

Started by hotdogPi, August 15, 2013, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

How do I get an external link that says something other than the link itself? I am planning on using one in my signature.

EDIT: Realized this was a duplicate. You can remove this.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

You can remove it yourself. You saw where it allows you to modify a post, obviously. You should see a "Remove" button next to that. Use that button. I just dug up a thread I had started to verify that button appears in the first post in a thread and it was there, so I assume the same is true for you.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

I tried and it said there was an error.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Grzrd

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2013, 03:37:39 PM
You can remove it yourself. You saw where it allows you to modify a post, obviously. You should see a "Remove" button next to that. Use that button. I just dug up a thread I had started to verify that button appears in the first post in a thread and it was there, so I assume the same is true for you.

I have tried to delete a brand-new thread immediately after starting it once I realized it was on the wrong board, etc.  I was not allowed to delete it.  I think an admin needs to intervene somehow.

Alps

[url=http://link.com]Text you want to display[/url]

1995hoo

Quote from: Grzrd on August 15, 2013, 03:46:53 PM

I have tried to delete a brand-new thread immediately after starting it once I realized it was on the wrong board, etc.  I was not allowed to delete it.  I think an admin needs to intervene somehow.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I didn't actually try removing the prior post of mine I checked this with because it wasn't something I wanted to delete, so I hadn't actually verified the procedure–I just assumed it would work (I know, never make assumptions). This is good to know for future reference.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 18, 2013, 02:54:58 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 15, 2013, 03:46:53 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info. I didn't actually try removing the prior post of mine I checked this with because it wasn't something I wanted to delete, so I hadn't actually verified the procedure–I just assumed it would work (I know, never make assumptions). This is good to know for future reference.

You can't delete the first post in a thread because that would delete the entire thread, and doing that would mean deleting other users' posts, which is obviously not something that should be allowed. (The first post in each thread is special in another way–if you edit the subject line of the first post, it changes the subject line of the entire thread.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2013, 02:44:37 AM
You can't delete the first post in a thread because that would delete the entire thread, and doing that would mean deleting other users' posts, which is obviously not something that should be allowed.
But you can't delete the first post even if nobody's replied.

Just tested it by making this post in a new thread:
Quote from: An Error Has Occurred!
You cannot delete your own topics in this board. Check to make sure this topic wasn't just moved to another board.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Presumably this is because SMF just checks to see if it's the first post, not whether any actual deletion of other posts would happen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

I changed the thread title through the board, and now I see that it says "Last Edit: Today" in the first post even though I never actually went and edited the post. Bizarro.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.