News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Banned but not banned?

Started by Kniwt, August 02, 2011, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

Eek! So I come home tonight and try to load the forum, and I get "An Error Has Occurred! Sorry Kniwt, you are banned from using this forum!"

So I delete my cookies and try again: "An Error Has Occurred! Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!"

So I've remote-login'd to a work machine, and I'm now obviously very much logged in and not banned. This suggests that there's some type of IP-based ban that's gone into effect sometime in the past 24 hours. Beyond that, however, waaaah!

Any suggestions? ("Dump your ISP" isn't going to be a valid suggestion, though.)

rickmastfan67

I'll look into this for you Kniwt and get back to you.

<<>>

Ok Kniwt, have you been using Proxy IPs?  Please come clean if you have been.  We've been trying to cut down on spam accounts signing up for the forum and the forum logged you logging in from 3 different IPs in a few minutes pointing to use of a proxy.

Kniwt

Well, my workplace sells proxy servers! But for security, not avoidance. At home, never. (And, oddly enough, it's at home, not work, where I'm banned.)

But I think I can explain three IPs rather easily otherwise ... one (maybe even two) from work, one from home 15 minutes later, and one from my phone. Admittedly, it's not the type of thing I even think about.

Edit: Oh, just got to work, and my primary desktop is banned, too. Had to remote login to this lab machine again. Grumble. Maybe I'm not really loved after all. :(

rickmastfan67

Kniwt, can you please give me the IP that is 100% your home one?  If you don't want to post it in the forums, please PM me it.  I'll try to make sure that it isn't banned anymore.

As for the work one, do you use a proxy there?  If not, get the IP for it as well and PM me it too so I can make sure it's unbanned.

Alps

I'd also be interested to know these IPs. I've done a lot of work with the ban filters lately, and this will be very useful feedback.

Kniwt

Messages sent and exchanged with the admins. I'm back in the forums at home; thanks to the admins for their help.

AsphaltPlanet

I am having this problem with my laptop lately too. It started happening when I was at a library in North York.  Any help to get unbanned would be appreciated. As far as I know I don't use a proxy server.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2012, 02:15:38 PM
I am having this problem with my laptop lately too. It started happening when I was at a library in North York.  Any help to get unbanned would be appreciated. As far as I know I don't use a proxy server.

I was just looking at the logs and noticed you were only banned at one IP back on March 1st and 8th and nothing this month.

I've un-banned that IP.  Please let me know if you're having any more problems. ;)

AsphaltPlanet

^ Thank you, that worked perfectly.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

national highway 1

Sorry for bumping and apologies for being a bit off-topic,
but in the past my post count was demoted by Jake as a 'punishment' for being a bit too enthusiastic about reaching a certain post count. Admins, if it isn't too much trouble, would you please mind reinstating my original post count?
Thanks. :)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

nyratk1

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 10, 2012, 04:53:58 AM
but in the past my post count was demoted by Jake as a 'punishment' for being a bit too enthusiastic about reaching a certain post count. Admins, if it isn't too much trouble, would you please mind reinstating my original post count?

Reinstate his original post count but make it a negative number. >:D

Scott5114

I am not sure there is any way of achieving this in software. The forum does not actually calculate the number of posts you have made, it simply adds one to the number stored in the database whenever you post. I believe the adjustment was originally done by directly modifying the stored number. You would need an admin to query the database manually to verify the proper count and then write it to the database.

I think Jake's actions made clear how much post counts really matter in the grand scheme of things.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

This must have occurred a long time ago as Jake cannot make such that change. I will query the database and see what your post count is and reset it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Alex on May 10, 2012, 10:51:44 AM
Jake cannot make such that change.

technically, I can, unless you've changed the pwd to the SQL  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 10, 2012, 12:07:15 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 10, 2012, 10:51:44 AM
Jake cannot make such that change.

technically, I can, unless you've changed the pwd to the SQL  :sombrero:

:-D ...And look at my use of "such that"  :pan:

kphoger

Your face is such that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2012, 12:51:18 PM
Your face is such that.
I'm trying to figure out if you're hilarious or a troll. But I'm not laughing.

NE2

Your dad is hilarious or a troll.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on May 11, 2012, 06:54:06 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2012, 12:51:18 PM
Your face is such that.
I'm trying to figure out if you're hilarious or a troll. But I'm not laughing.

I think I've posted a total of two Your Face (or similar) jokes on here.  The troll threshhold must be exceedingly low...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.