News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The "Travel" board -- not visible when not logged in

Started by hbelkins, June 13, 2017, 10:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this? I know why "Fictional" and "Illustrations" are not visible to non-members, but why the "Travel" board? I'd think "Off-Topic" would be more of a candidate for being invisible to non-members than "Travel."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2017, 10:54:17 PM
I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this?

I thought I read the rationale as being that these threads may contain semi-sensitive information–disclosing the travel plans of specific members on particular days–and therefore should be kept from outsiders' eyes.

Edited to add: No, information about travel itineraries would be on the Road Trips board, not Travel. And Road Trips is visible to non-members. (As is the Road Enthusiast Meets board, and that frequently contains ultra-specific itinerary information.)

Perhaps Travel is hidden from non-members for the same reason that Off-Topic should be?

US 89

Quote from: briantroutman on June 13, 2017, 11:17:56 PM
I was perusing the forum without being logged in today and noticed that the "Travel" board isn't visible when you're not logged in. What's the rationale for this?

I thought I read the rationale as being that these threads may contain semi-sensitive information–disclosing the travel plans of specific members on particular days–and therefore should be kept from outsiders' eyes.

Edited to add: No, information about travel itineraries would be on the Road Trips board, not Travel. And Road Trips is visible to non-members. (As is the Road Enthusiast Meets board, and that frequently contains ultra-specific itinerary information.)

Perhaps Travel is hidden from non-members for the same reason that Off-Topic should be?

And Mass Transit...don't want a bunch of anti-road, pro-mass-transit people flooding this forum...

froggie

QuoteAnd Mass Transit...don't want a bunch of anti-road, pro-mass-transit people flooding this forum...

To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from creating their own accounts and, as long as they adhere to the guidelines, posting.  In point of fact, I know of a few that do have accounts here.

vdeane

I think the idea is that, by hiding the forums, people who aren't already registered will be less likely to know they even exist.  Trouble is, the question comes up so often in this forum that it's not as effective as it could be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Doubtful. Some of us are easily identifiable from our user names here, but names like "vdeane" and "froggie" and "roadguy2" don't really give any clues as to a poster's true identity. And even if your user name is "oscar" -- well, how many thousands of people named Oscar are there in the world?

Of course, I'd prefer that everyone here be identified by real name and not hide behind a user name so everyone knows who they're talking with.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2017, 01:40:29 PM

Doubtful. Some of us are easily identifiable from our user names here, but names like "vdeane" and "froggie" and "roadguy2" don't really give any clues as to a poster's true identity. And even if your user name is "oscar" -- well, how many thousands of people named Oscar are there in the world?

Of course, I'd prefer that everyone here be identified by real name and not hide behind a user name so everyone knows who they're talking with.
Road enthusiast meetings has photos of people. I am confused why travel is hidden. Road trips and road enthusiasts meeting have more personal information.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2017, 01:40:29 PM

Okay, Hayward.

Scott5114

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2017, 11:29:12 PM
QuoteAnd Mass Transit...don't want a bunch of anti-road, pro-mass-transit people flooding this forum...

To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from creating their own accounts and, as long as they adhere to the guidelines, posting.  In point of fact, I know of a few that do have accounts here.

The point is that you join the forums because you want to participate in the roads discussions that you can see while you're lurking, then when you register you find the hidden forums as a bonus and can post to them if it interests you. We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums–just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?), and we don't want to attract a large community of anti-road transit advocates that spill out into the other forums and shame people for liking the idea of having an interstate built. (It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

For Travel it is a little bit of the safety issue and a little bit of the same as the other two, as we want roadgeeks to have a place to enjoy commenting on their travels, which are not likely to be to the sort of places you might find in travel magazines ("ugh, why would you even thing about staying in Vicksburg, Mississippi? Let me give you an exhaustive review of every hotel in Cabo San Lucas so you can go on a real trip..."). Less likely to happen than the other two forums, but not really something I think anyone would want to deal with.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2017, 04:30:54 AM
For Travel it is a little bit of the safety issue and a little bit of the same as the other two, as we want roadgeeks to have a place to enjoy commenting on their travels, which are not likely to be to the sort of places you might find in travel magazines ("ugh, why would you even thing about staying in Vicksburg, Mississippi? Let me give you an exhaustive review of every hotel in Cabo San Lucas so you can go on a real trip..."). Less likely to happen than the other two forums, but not really something I think anyone would want to deal with.

But that would go in the Road Trips category.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

The point is that you join the forums because you want to participate in the roads discussions that you can see while you're lurking, then when you register you find the hidden forums as a bonus and can post to them if it interests you. We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums–just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?), and we don't want to attract a large community of anti-road transit advocates that spill out into the other forums and shame people for liking the idea of having an interstate built. (It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Lord knows any newspaper article favoring bicycles and mass transit that allows commenting usually attracts numerous anti-road people to the point where it's impossible to have any sort of discussion.  And I seriously doubt bus, train and bicycle forums would even entertain the thought of having a dedicated car topic in their forums.

I would love to figure out that community a little, actually.  I happened to be in a parking lot of a store near an state road intersection to my house.  I noticed a traffic counter person at the intersection.  I also noticed a lot of bicyclists going thru the intersection.  And I mean, a LOT of bicyclists.  Every time one would come thru, the traffic counter person would mark her little clipboard.  She wasn't concerned about anything else.  Knowing this intersection a mile from my house, I can tell you that not only does this intersection see very few bicyclists, the normal bicyclist going thru this intersection is more of a local, and definitely not riding fairly expensive bicycles with helmets and bicycling gear.

It was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.  I didn't stick around or try to determine if the bicyclists were looping around to increase the count, although I would suspect that they would need to reverse their direction at some point to return to their origin.

US 89

just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in (and if you can why aren't you writing books about it?)

Someone really should or should not write a book about Alanland.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2017, 08:23:17 AM
I would love to figure out that community a little, actually.  I happened to be in a parking lot of a store near an state road intersection to my house.  I noticed a traffic counter person at the intersection.  I also noticed a lot of bicyclists going thru the intersection.  And I mean, a LOT of bicyclists.  Every time one would come thru, the traffic counter person would mark her little clipboard.  She wasn't concerned about anything else.  Knowing this intersection a mile from my house, I can tell you that not only does this intersection see very few bicyclists, the normal bicyclist going thru this intersection is more of a local, and definitely not riding fairly expensive bicycles with helmets and bicycling gear.

It was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.  I didn't stick around or try to determine if the bicyclists were looping around to increase the count, although I would suspect that they would need to reverse their direction at some point to return to their origin.

What is the purpose of this? Try to convince the state DOT that there's more bike traffic than there actually is, so that they will remove vehicle lanes and put bike lanes there instead?

Roadgeekteen

I enjoy reading fictional highway senarios.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

froggie

Quote from: Scott5114We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums–just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in

You're aware that we have a few people on this forum who fit this description to a T, right?

Quote from: jeffandnicoleLord knows any newspaper article favoring bicycles and mass transit that allows commenting usually attracts numerous anti-road people to the point where it's impossible to have any sort of discussion.

That may be the case in Jersey, and while the end result is similar elsewhere, the means aren't.  In those areas I'm familiar with, such articles tend to attract more anti-bike and anti-transit commenters than they do anti-road comments...referring to DC, Norfolk, and Minneapolis specifically here.

QuoteIt was clear that the bicycling community found out something about the traffic counter at the intersection ahead of time, and purposely arranged to have the cyclists park somewhere nearby and ride thru this intersection.

Again, this may be a Jersey thing and possibly other areas, but not everywhere.  The bike/ped counts I'm familiar with in Minneapolis and the DC area are legit counts without the type of "inflation" you're referring to.

Scott5114

Quote from: froggie on June 16, 2017, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums–just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in

You're aware that we have a few people on this forum who fit this description to a T, right?

Why do you think we changed it so it isn't visible to non-logged-in users? ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JJBers

You think of how many buses we can buy instead of building I-69...so many that we need to build I-69. :spin:
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Alps

Quote from: JJBers on June 17, 2017, 11:03:57 AM
You think of how many buses we can buy instead of building I-69...so many that we need to build I-69. :spin:
What the fuck?

JJBers

Quote from: Alps on June 17, 2017, 03:53:02 PM
What the fuck?
See from few posts back...though the last part makes no sense looking back.

LGL52VL

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Alps

Quote from: JJBers on June 17, 2017, 03:55:58 PM
What the fuck?

LGL52VL

None of it makes sense... always helps to quote.

MNHighwayMan

We don't want people to join if they are only going to post in those two forums–just posting in fictional and nowhere else doesn't really add much value to the forum unless you can create a fictional world everyone gets sucked into and wants to live in

Like Alanland.  :bigass:

JJBers

Quote from: Alps on June 17, 2017, 05:05:00 PM
What the fuck?

LGL52VL

(It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Source material...

LGL52VL

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Alps

Quote from: JJBers on June 17, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 17, 2017, 05:05:00 PM
What the fuck?

LGL52VL

(It wouldn't be much fun for anyone if every I-69 thread were filled with "think of how many buses you could buy with this money" every third post.)

Source material...

That's legit. :D

US 89

Maybe you could scrap those buses for parts and recycle the parts to help make the asphalt to pave I-69.  :rolleyes:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.