News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2020, 09:37:26 PMOr when 'gay' was just way of saying 'happy and festive'?
Though not-TV-related per se, but the word junk has had an additional meaning for about a decade-and-a-half to two decades now (I will not elaborate, but most here certainly know).  I only bring such up because while I was making an appointment for 1-800-GOT-JUNK; one prompt lists Tell Us About Your Junk.

Obviously, such means to list/describe what furniture pieces & such for them to take; but, man somebody could have a field-day with that line.  One has to wonder if that site indeed has received some wild replies.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

In_Correct

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 06, 2020, 08:57:00 AM
Quote from: cwf1701 on January 04, 2020, 03:17:15 PMHow about words that have a different meaning today than when the show first aired. If they did a new "Leave It to Beaver", Could they have June day "Ward, was you a little hard on the Beaver"?
One line in a Season 3 episode of Lost In Space (original version, The Promised Planet episode) had both Will & Penny bargaining w/Dr. Smith, who's wearing a long-haired wig & hippie medallions, uttering the phrase (to Smith); You're a hard man.  While the script writers meant such in reference to bargaining; the above-phrase in and of itself can be interpreted a completely different way.

I might as well bring another one up. ... Star Trek's first pilot movie The Cage was filmed In Living Color in 1964. I was shocked when one of the Talosian demanded that Captain Pike choose a mate.

They found two women from his crew. One of them is Majel Barrett, voice of the computer, Suspiria, actress for Christine Chapel, Deanna's Mother, and Number One ... who seems to be closer in age to Pike.

Laurel Goodwin's character J. M. Colt is the other woman the Talosians found. It seems that she is much younger than Number One. ... perhaps in her early 20s. But it is as if she is young enough to be Pike and Number One's daughter. When describing Colt they brought up her "unusually strong female drives" referring to fertility as well as a potential mate for Pike. It is probably not good to say it today, but it is very shocking that they brought it up in 1964.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

dvferyance

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 10:52:08 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2019, 01:18:59 PM
a word that starts with a w that refers to an illegal immigrant

Quote from: roadman on December 30, 2019, 01:47:08 PM
"The answer to every farmer's prayers.  A mechanized w."

Wisconsinite

Just type the word instead of pussy-footing around it.

(I've waded across the Rio Grande before, approximately here.  Does that make me a Wisconsinite?)
I felt better about not taking that chance I thought I would play it safe. I am from Milwaukee where local talk show host Mark Belling was suspended for using that word

kphoger

A radio talk show host using provocative language?  Oh, the humanity!

Can't have that in snowflake America, now can we?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2020, 10:19:54 PM

I didn't catch the specifics, but in today's show Rush Limbaugh mentioned something about a local commentator somewhere who was recently fired for saying that there are two biological genders in the human species (ie, something about the physical XX and XY thing).

:rolleyes:

Mike

roadman65

Quote from: mgk920 on January 21, 2020, 11:39:17 PM

I didn't catch the specifics, but in today's show Rush Limbaugh mentioned something about a local commentator somewhere who was recently fired for saying that there are two biological genders in the human species (ie, something about the physical XX and XY thing).

Mike

It does not surprise me at all!  Ever since ole Barack left office, this society has been mixed up and turned upside down.  At one time we kept religion and politics out of conversations.  Now people can't wait to voice their opinions about something political and tell someone to f*** off if the other person supports a candidate or a cause that differs from their own.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 11:45:18 PM

Mike

It does not surprise me at all!  Ever since ole Barack left office, this society has been mixed up and turned upside down.  At one time we kept religion and politics out of conversations.  Now people can't wait to voice their opinions about something political and tell someone to f*** off if the other person supports a candidate or a cause that differs from their own.

Like you just did?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Mike

I just wasn't made for these times

In_Correct

The Bob Newhart Show tried anything with comedy.

Getting this one out of the way first:

In the episode Jerry's Retirement, Emily says "Heil Whitler!" and the episode ends with her in a troll face. I do not think this is offensive, but perhaps it is today. But the worse jokes are in the first two seasons.

Occasionally they would go to a restaurant and act kinda ignorant. In Bob and Emily and Howard And Carol And Jerry. There was the Japanese Restaurant, but that was Howard goofing up on a date. Even though he has been to Japan many times. Pat Morita, Shizuko Hoshi, and James Hong.

There was the time in Over The River And Through The Woods they drunk dialed mumbling Moo Goo Gai Pan over and over again. ... The Chinese Restaurant did not mind. They simply delivered multiple dishes and billed him. David Himes.

Beginning with Emily I'm Home -- Emily?, The Hartleys are supposed to have a weekly maid Marina (Alma Bertran) ... a slightly tanned Spanish Speaking woman that does not speak any English at all. Some how Emily hired her. Bob on the other hand has very weak Spanish. Today this would be considered cheap.

And also The Bob Newhart Show is set in Chicago ... North Chicago ... and Edgewater, Illinois. Even so Bob Newhart had Native Africans as his patients in several episodes. The first episode is Not With My Sister You Don't, about a man (Mr. Dabney, Mel Stewart) with unexplained anger issues that he blames Caucasians. But after he explodes in the stair well be cause he failed to catch an elevator he forgets the whole thing and agrees to continue seeing Dr. Hartley. But since he is a recurring patient, why does he not return in other episodes?

The episode You Can't Win 'Em All has Phil Bender (a fictional character) depicted quite heroically. Jim Watkins / Julian Christopher.

But in the episode Blues For Mr. Borden they tried to tell the first joke (from Not With My Sister You Don't) a second time, but simply is not funny the second time. It is not the same character nor actor, but it is about another angry man (Mr. Billings, Julius Harris). Just as the first angry patient, he is on for only one scene. They never go in depth about any of his problems. Instead they gloss over the same thing as he did with Mr. Dabney earlier. The only thing they added was some type of warrior costume for the third patient as well as a guard dog named Whitey. Perhaps named after the poem Whitey On The Moon. ... As the patient leaves he tells his dog to sit, as a result Jerry cowers to them. This time I never laughed. While this scene is supposed to be memorable, it seems that everybody remembers it wrong.

The episode My Business Is Shrinking has Ron McIlwain as Wayne Jefferson, another athlete who motivated Dr. Hartley.

The episode We Love You Good Bye has Ann Weldon as Adele Sinclair, a positive character in a woman only group. This is the first episode with a Native African Person in more than one scene.

The episode Here's To You, Mrs. Robinson has a Native African Couple. Fred D. Scott has a few lines.

The episode Desperate Sessions (a very spooky episode, as well as the elevator scene from Mary Tyler Moore's Christmas And The Hard Luck Kid) has a Native African couple in the background.

The next two episodes Ex Con Job and Son Of An Ex Con Job is about Bob working in a prison. These are perhaps the most sincere episodes. Entire episodes (two of them) instead of only scenes. One of the guys (Arthur Tatum) goes to their place which Emily offers him coffee. She asks him without pausing: "How do you like your coffee? Black?" with him replying "You can call me Tatum." These lines deserve more laughs, with Reuben asking if the P.R. guy (Pubic Relations) is a Puerto Rican in second place. Allen Case as Steve Kopelson, Ric Mancini as Al Brolio, Bert Rosario as Reuben Ortiz, Wyatt Johnson as Richard Hawkins, and Taurean Blacque as Arthur Tatum.

I might be completely wrong, but it seems like during the first two seasons of The Bob Newhart Show they were not afraid to tell many jokes no matter what.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

GenExpwy

Mike

Jon Caldara, columnist for the Denver Post.

In_Correct

The Rookies episode A Farewell Tree From Marly. The word that they used to describe her as Retarded.

Rothman

Quote from: GenExpwy on January 22, 2020, 02:45:02 PM

Mike

Jon Caldara, columnist for the Denver Post.
You let "gender" out your mouth, you will pay the price if you don't know the difference between sex and gender.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2020, 04:26:59 PM
You let "gender" out your mouth, you will pay the price if you don't know the difference between sex and gender.

Quote from: Merriam Webster
noun

2a: SEX sense 1a

sex

noun

1a: either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male especially on the basis of their reproductive organs and structures
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2020, 04:31:39 PM

noun

sex

noun

1a: either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male especially on the basis of their reproductive organs and structures
Don't go into journalism.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

The Smothers Brothers.

Oh wait.  They weren't allowed back then either.

Terry

In_Correct

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2020, 05:18:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2020, 04:31:39 PM

noun

sex

noun

Don't go into journalism.

Journalism is silly. They deliberately avoid The Serial Comma.

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on January 22, 2020, 07:02:43 PM
The people telling you gender and sex are different are also the ones telling you there are 342 genders

Do not continue this discussion. The forum rules are being amended. Stand by.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Go search Youtube for the racist Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on January 22, 2020, 11:50:40 PM

Not only racist Mickey Mouse, there was also racist Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Popeye cartoons as well. They're on Dailymotion if you can't find them on Youtube.

kphoger

Quote from: In_Correct on January 22, 2020, 06:18:44 PM
Journalism is silly. They deliberately avoid The Serial Comma.

But can we continue this discussion?   :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 23, 2020, 07:57:16 AM

Not only racist Mickey Mouse, there was also racist Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Popeye cartoons as well. They're on Dailymotion if you can't find them on Youtube.

You mean that they escaped from the clutches of Disney™?  It will be very interesting, indeed, when those copyrights (Finally, as Congress has shown no interest in any further protection term extensions) start to expire!

:-o

Mike

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on January 23, 2020, 01:44:08 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 23, 2020, 07:57:16 AM

You mean that they escaped from the clutches of Disney™?  It will be very interesting, indeed, when those copyrights (Finally, as Congress has shown no interest in any further protection term extensions) start to expire!

:-o

Mike

Here some of them, it also escaped the clutches of Warner Bros, Paramount, MGM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAf3dQxAfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkcsIb2l3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LgUPJG9eOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSSkeb6qdCI

texaskdog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.