News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Trans Canada 104 Twinning (with photos)

Started by ghYHZ, October 09, 2010, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

There are currently two projects underway on the Trans Canada Highway in northern Nova Scotia:

Extending the twinned TCH104 beyond New Glasgow to Sutherlands River......a 7KM section to the Pine-Tree overpass recently opened and the remaining 4.5KMs to Sutherlands River should be opened in about a year.

Here's the eastern end of the contiguous North American Freeway network ** at the Pine-Tree overpass.

(**Yes, I realize there's a seldom used at grade RR crossing at Moncton and you have to stop at the Cobequid Tolls on the 104 and the US/Can Border.....but beyond Pine-Tree, you are essentially on a multi-lane, controlled access highway to just about any place in North America......including most major Canadian cities (via the US for now, until Autoroute 85 is completed)

Bridge construction at Sutherlands River:

There will be a 40km gap between Sutherlands River and Antigonish where a completely new By-Pass is currently under construction. Phase I, to Beech Hill Road (8KM) will open in the fall of 2012 and Phase II, the remaining 8KM to Lower South River, the following year.

The "Split"  at the west end of Antigonish:

Addington Forks Road Structure:

Beech Hill Road Structures:

agentsteel53

why the blue signs with yellow legend and fancy pictures?  is that standard, or is that because this is a scenic route of some sort?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ghYHZ

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2010, 02:41:35 PM
why the blue signs with yellow legend and fancy pictures?  is that standard, or is that because this is a scenic route of some sort?

They're "Scenic Travelways"  destination signs....keyed to the Provincial Highway Map and Tourbook that visitors can pick up at the Welcome Centres when entering the province.

Alps

Nice, when I was there just as recently as August, all traffic was still on the old carriageway, but with all the signs and striping up on the new one, it was clear that the situation shown here was imminent.  My photos are here.

Dougtone

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 09, 2010, 03:39:17 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2010, 02:41:35 PM
why the blue signs with yellow legend and fancy pictures?  is that standard, or is that because this is a scenic route of some sort?

They're "Scenic Travelways"  destination signs....keyed to the Provincial Highway Map and Tourbook that visitors can pick up at the Welcome Centres when entering the province.

I saw a few of the Scenic Travelways signs when I visited Nova Scotia a couple of years ago, along with exit tabs on the left side of the sign and other idiosyncracies of signs in the province.  There is a sign that you can see upon leaving the ferry terminal in Yarmouth that shows all of Nova Scotia's scenic travelways.

mhallack

I MISS NOVA SCOTIA!!

Only been there twice, have friends in Halifax. In fact the first time I've been to anywhere along the east coast of North America is Nova Scotia. Since I now live in Maine I have no excuse to not go back (except the new border controls between the US and Canada)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.