News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

1:35 into the third linked cartoon. The one with Daffy, Shultz and the other guy...Notice the woman's picture on the bunker wall?  :hmmm:

roadman65

https://www.google.com/search?q=jan+brady+im+not+a+creep&client=safari&hl=en&sxsrf=ALiCzsYy49OVjqxwepan25mhWpXVgStjog:1670930432959&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZkpr3vPb7AhUPRTABHSXJDrgQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1121&bih=1352&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f3589910,vid:TKXzUAb5om0

Actually it's more conceptual here, than not allowed. SNL could get away with airing that as a funny, but in regular situation comedy, they wouldn't even think of writing that in a script due to offending not so much the clergy and the US Bishops, but the victims over the years.  However, if it were written it would be not allowed. sNL is a different story due to its being a parody, although I can see a group within the Church protesting against (though not able to get anywhere with it) SNL if they used that Brady Bunch scene as a template for a skit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2020, 08:48:43 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 22, 2020, 07:02:43 PM
The people telling you gender and sex are different are also the ones telling you there are 342 genders

Do not continue this discussion. The forum rules are being amended. Stand by.

Clicked on this thread after not having done so for three years.

Which forum rule was amended as a result of this discussion?

Is there now a rule against discussing definitions of words?  :-D

Quote from: kphoger on January 23, 2020, 09:49:29 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on January 22, 2020, 06:18:44 PM
Journalism is silly. They deliberately avoid The Serial Comma.

But can we continue this discussion?   :awesomeface:

This former journalist, now a PR practitioner in an agency that uses AP style with certain exceptions (such as capitalizing the word "Governor" even if a name is not used, and not abbreviating the word as "Gov." when used before the name of the person holding the office) has made his own exception and now uses the serial comma, also known as the Oxford comma.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

I see this is an old thread but will continue.

I have never understood the title of this thread.  I have heard people say this all the time.  "You can't do that on today's TV!"

Frankly, I think it's absurd.

What I mean by that is this:
I get where the people that say that are referring to slurs that weren't slurs when the shows aired but are not.  They are referring to terms that more recently became a term but were not that term when the show aired. 

When I hear people say that I think of the shows I watched growing up and of course the FCC regulations.

I think of The Andy Griffith Show, Green Acres, I Dream of Genie and Bewitched going all the way up to the 90s.  I think about the more wholesome world these shows belonged in and then think of the shows on network television in the past 25 years.  Everything now is police drama or first world drama.  They talk about sexual assault on Law and Order, SVU.  The FCC guidelines have gotten so relaxed, hell, damn, bitch and even words about genitalia are permissible.  There will be strategic scenes of implied nudity.  There will be bloody scenes and hospital scenes referring to rape and talk of an abortion.  I am not saying any of this bother me personally, but I think about how all of this wouldn't be expectable even in the mid 90s.  I remember the Simpsons episode "Brush with Greatness", Marge paints Mr. Burns in the nude and the show runners of the show said they got a lot of flack from the censors for using the word genitalia at the end when Mr. Burns talks about the painting.  The broadest and least descriptive word for that subject and they were having a fit.  Now, you can call it whatever you want, and I am just talking about network TV.  Now with the world of streaming services that have television series on them, now you basically can do whatever you want with zero censorship.  You have "TV" shows with a thousand F-bombs, sex and nudity all over the place. 

I just don't remember the Family Matters episode with an extended sex scene in it or that one episode of Newhart when Dick went on an F-bomb laced tirade.  I say, you can't do a tenth of what you do now if you were producing a show in the 20th century.  I say you have it backwards.

SectorZ

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on December 13, 2022, 02:41:25 PM
I see this is an old thread but will continue.

I have never understood the title of this thread.  I have heard people say this all the time.  "You can't do that on today's TV!"

Frankly, I think it's absurd.

What I mean by that is this:
I get where the people that say that are referring to slurs that weren't slurs when the shows aired but are not.  They are referring to terms that more recently became a term but were not that term when the show aired. 

When I hear people say that I think of the shows I watched growing up and of course the FCC regulations.

I think of The Andy Griffith Show, Green Acres, I Dream of Genie and Bewitched going all the way up to the 90s.  I think about the more wholesome world these shows belonged in and then think of the shows on network television in the past 25 years.  Everything now is police drama or first world drama.  They talk about sexual assault on Law and Order, SVU.  The FCC guidelines have gotten so relaxed, hell, damn, bitch and even words about genitalia are permissible.  There will be strategic scenes of implied nudity.  There will be bloody scenes and hospital scenes referring to rape and talk of an abortion.  I am not saying any of this bother me personally, but I think about how all of this wouldn't be expectable even in the mid 90s.  I remember the Simpsons episode "Brush with Greatness", Marge paints Mr. Burns in the nude and the show runners of the show said they got a lot of flack from the censors for using the word genitalia at the end when Mr. Burns talks about the painting.  The broadest and least descriptive word for that subject and they were having a fit.  Now, you can call it whatever you want, and I am just talking about network TV.  Now with the world of streaming services that have television series on them, now you basically can do whatever you want with zero censorship.  You have "TV" shows with a thousand F-bombs, sex and nudity all over the place. 

I just don't remember the Family Matters episode with an extended sex scene in it or that one episode of Newhart when Dick went on an F-bomb laced tirade.  I say, you can't do a tenth of what you do now if you were producing a show in the 20th century.  I say you have it backwards.

Vulgarity and political correctness have been taking parallel tracks but riding past each other instead of with each other over the 70 years of TV.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2022, 01:46:01 PM
Which forum rule was amended as a result of this discussion?

Is there now a rule against discussing definitions of words?  :-D

Nope.  Just "discriminatory comments" and "disparaging or offensive content".

Quote from: SectorZ on December 13, 2022, 02:53:15 PM
Vulgarity and political correctness have been taking parallel tracks but riding past each other instead of with each other over the 70 years of TV.

There's a certain irony in there, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on December 13, 2022, 02:41:25 PMI say, you can't do a tenth of what you do now if you were producing a show in the 20th century.  I say you have it backwards.

This is my thought as well. Back in the day, married heterosexual couples weren't even shown sleeping in the same bed. Now, it's not uncommon to see homosexual couples.

And the language has definitely loosened up, but there are quite a few obvious double standards. It's not uncommon to hear the s-word on "On Patrol Live" even though it's on a profanity delay, but that same word is omitted from Clark Griswold's rant about his boss in "Christmas Vacation." Now, it goes straight from "Hallelujah" to "where's the Tylenol?"

roadman65

https://www.google.com/search?q=jan+brady+im+not+a+creep&client=safari&hl=en&sxsrf=ALiCzsYy49OVjqxwepan25mhWpXVgStjog:1670930432959&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZkpr3vPb7AhUPRTABHSXJDrgQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1121&bih=1352&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f3589910,vid:TKXzUAb5om0

Actually it's more conceptual here, than not allowed. SNL could get away with airing that as a funny, but in regular situation comedy, they wouldn't even think of writing that in a script due to offending not so much the clergy and the US Bishops, but the victims over the years.  However, if it were written it would be not allowed. sNL is a different story due to its being a parody, although I can see a group within the Church protesting against (though not able to get anywhere with it) SNL if they used that Brady Bunch scene as a template for a skit.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 13, 2022, 06:47:17 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on December 13, 2022, 02:41:25 PMI say, you can't do a tenth of what you do now if you were producing a show in the 20th century.  I say you have it backwards.

This is my thought as well. Back in the day, married heterosexual couples weren't even shown sleeping in the same bed. Now, it's not uncommon to see homosexual couples.

And the language has definitely loosened up, but there are quite a few obvious double standards. It's not uncommon to hear the s-word on "On Patrol Live" even though it's on a profanity delay, but that same word is omitted from Clark Griswold's rant about his boss in "Christmas Vacation." Now, it goes straight from "Hallelujah" to "where's the Tylenol?"
Are we comparing homosexuality to vulgarity?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on December 14, 2022, 07:47:53 AM

No, we're talking about things that you never saw on TV years ago but are commonplace now.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on December 14, 2022, 11:00:21 AM

No, we're talking about things that you never saw on TV years ago but are commonplace now.
No one has ever been able to explain (to me, anyway) how it is that I can say 'ass', and i can say 'hole'., but eliminate one space, and suddenly it's bad.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

MikieTimT

Fat Albert

Characters and Bill Cosby would find offense today, but was on Saturday mornings in my childhood on one of the 4 over the air channels our rabbit ears would pick up.

Henry

In a recent interview, The Office star Mindy Kaling revealed that most of the content would be offensive in today's world. Given that it ended less than a decade ago, the series is still too new to be called classic TV, even though it has enjoyed a second life in cable reruns.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thenetwork

I've been watching several TV series from Australia and New Zealand, and I am amazed at what language they let fly.  Great Britain has a few words they can freely say that are barely said here in the US.

The only thing I've seen stand out is the word s#!t, which is allowed on most non-pay movie channels now.

hbelkins

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 14, 2022, 01:02:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 14, 2022, 11:00:21 AM

No one has ever been able to explain (to me, anyway) how it is that I can say 'ass', and i can say 'hole'., but eliminate one space, and suddenly it's bad.

It's odd how the word "ass" is treated in the TV edit of "Christmas Vacation." I can't remember if  Clark refers to Eddie as a "dumbass" or an "asshole" when he spots him emptying the sewer of his tenement on wheels into the storm drain. But only the word "ass" can be heard in the TV edit. I know it's not treated the same as the word in the "jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse" rant.

ethanhopkin14

My favorite was back in the early 90s, the TV broadcast on USA (a cable network, not even network TV) of the movie "Major League".  In the theatrical version, right before Harris take the shot of rum, he says, "Up your butt JoBu." but on the TV broadcast they edited this to "Up your bucket JoBu."  Now days the word ass would be completely acceptable, especially on a cable network, but maybe the censors had an issue with the preceding "up your". 

So, when I hear "you can't do what you used to on TV in today's world" line, I laugh and think, the word butt was censored in a movie when it aired ON CABLE in the 90s!

roadman65

All In The Family now, which was controversial when it first aired, would not be allowed today.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2017, 11:00:57 AM
Smoking is minimal.

A group of 4 friends has about 78 races and nationalities among them, in order not to offend anyone.

Remember many years ago the biggest issue was glasses?  Usually a group of kids had at least one wearing glasses, so that kids with glasses watching the show would feel like they would fit in.

If friends aired today they'd have a black character, an asian character, and a gay character in the group of 6

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on July 17, 2017, 10:20:56 AM
Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
Not TV, but just heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits on the radio.  Now, most stations edit the second verse because it contains 3 instances of the British word for cigarette.  Yet, Ill regularly hear the other F word unedited when I hear Who Are You? by The Who.
To my knowledge, WKLR in Richmond does the opposite. Who Are You is censored and Money For Nothing still has cigarettes.
What about the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Pink Floyd's Money? Both songs mention BS in their lyrics, although the former is often edited to "funky stuff"; I don't know about the latter.

Funky KICKS

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on August 29, 2017, 05:57:24 AM
It all is about political stuff not the gore.   For example watch the Honeymooners, an old sitcom starring Jackie Gleason aired in the mid 50's, and you will see the humor on that show featured Ralph Kramden who was a hot head and loved to threaten his wife by sending her to the moon.   Although we as the viewers always knew he would never physically hurt her as he loved her deeply, it was funny to see him raise his fist to her face and even sometimes use the catchphrase " Bang Zoom" and then use his hands to show the audience that he was sending her flying through the air (presumably to the moon).  Now of course that would be not allowed as that would be considered offensive to many and considered as promoting violence.

All In The Family would not be allowed today as the remarks on the show made by key character Archie Bunker would be considered advocating racism despite at the time of its viewing it was considered by many blacks and other minorities to be a milestone as it brought out subjects that the original TV networks would never allow to be used as topics for any TV show.  Many praised creator Norman Lear, even Star Trek's LeVar Burton, for bringing sex and racism controversy out into the open and ending the rural purge that CBS once had only promoting old fashioned conservative ideals.

Ultimately he was portrayed as kind of a buffoon and eventually befriended George Jefferson and others and mellowed out

abefroman329

Quote from: texaskdog on December 23, 2022, 10:02:59 PM
Smoking is minimal.

A group of 4 friends has about 78 races and nationalities among them, in order not to offend anyone.

Remember many years ago the biggest issue was glasses?  Usually a group of kids had at least one wearing glasses, so that kids with glasses watching the show would feel like they would fit in.

If friends aired today they'd have a black character, an asian character, and a gay character in the group of 6
By all accounts, Chandler was supposed to have been gay, but network TV wasn't ready for that in 1994.

I have this theory that the premise of My Two Dads makes a lot more sense if you pretend it's about a gay couple adopting a teenage girl.

skluth

Quote from: texaskdog on December 23, 2022, 10:08:39 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 17, 2017, 10:20:56 AM
Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
Not TV, but just heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits on the radio.  Now, most stations edit the second verse because it contains 3 instances of the British word for cigarette.  Yet, Ill regularly hear the other F word unedited when I hear Who Are You? by The Who.
To my knowledge, WKLR in Richmond does the opposite. Who Are You is censored and Money For Nothing still has cigarettes.
What about the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Pink Floyd's Money? Both songs mention BS in their lyrics, although the former is often edited to "funky stuff"; I don't know about the latter.

Funky KICKS
In Money, only "Bull" makes it past the censor on the 45. The shit is just edited out; at least it was on the version played by my local radio stations. I was in high school and couldn't afford the album at first so it surprised me when I first heard the unedited version. The Money 45 was edited pretty seamlessly, especially when you compare it to the hack editing back then. To edit the Doors Light My Fire down to a single, they just hacked out most of the instrumental and it's not a clean edit. Even if you'd never heard the song it sounds like someone screwed up the edit.

kphoger

Smoking is minimal.

It cracks me up, when I'm watching a show on Netflix, and it lists "Smoking" as a parental advisory–but there are multiple scenes of people drinking alcohol without such a warning.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on December 24, 2022, 02:20:52 PM
Smoking is minimal.

It cracks me up, when I'm watching a show on Netflix, and it lists "Smoking" as a parental advisory–but there are multiple scenes of people drinking alcohol without such a warning.

Please drink.

Responsibly.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

We just watched Mrs Doubtfire as a family last night.  My wife and I were telling our older two sons that we both remember how, when the movie first came out, there was controversy surrounding the ending lines:

There are all sorts of different families, Katie.  Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families.  Some children live with their uncle or aunt.  Some live with their grandparents, and some children live with foster parents.  Some live in separate homes and neighborhoods in different areas of the country.  They may not see each other for days, weeks, months or even years at a time.  But if there's love, dear, those are the ties that bind.

It isn't that there was a gay couple in the movie that we remember being controversial, but specifically the lines quoted above.  This is because we all heard as stopping just one step short of saying "some families have two mommies and that's OK", and the implication was clear enough to get people talking.  I don't think a movie could have done that a whole lot earlier than 1993.  So anyway, we were talking about that last, after the movie and before bedtime, and I remarked how quaint that all seems now, in today's cultural climate.  Compared to the messaging of today's shows, that was nothing.  I started to exclaim that I was surprised such a shift had occurred in such a short amount of time, in just...  And then I realized 1993 was 29 years ago.  We paused at that point, and we felt old.  Then I did the math:  in 1993, a 29-year-old movie would have been Mary Poppins or My Fair Lady or The Pink Panther.  That really put things in perspective.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.