AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: 2018 road trips  (Read 30291 times)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
Re: 2018 road trips
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »

I seem to recall reading that West Virginia enacted a statute guaranteeing motorists the right to keep the meat from any roadkill they cause, unless the roadkill is human. I found it more than a bit disturbing that it was deemed necessary to include that exception!

Part of the reason for the overall law was the idea that motorists taking the roadkill would save the state the expense of cleaning it up.

I don't want to get all philosophical on this thread, but… can roadkill be human?
Well, they were something that got killed on the road.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 01:04:16 AM »

Just the usual trip to to the Midwest (MN and ND) planned for 2018. At some point, I'd like to do a Texas road trip, but at this point it doesn't look like it will happen in 2018.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »

Stupid government shutdown.

Our friend's parents have been planning to drive to Mexico with us in March for our annual mission trip.  They dragged their feet on getting his birth certificate from South Dakota.  Now that they finally have it in the nick of time to apply for a passport, the federal government stops working.  No passport applications being processed.  Grrrrrr......
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »

Our friend's parents have been planning to drive to Mexico with us in March for our annual mission trip.  They dragged their feet on getting his birth certificate from South Dakota.  Now that they finally have it in the nick of time to apply for a passport, the federal government stops working.  No passport applications being processed.  Grrrrrr......
Will that affect your plans, or not necessarily yet?

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »

Will that affect your plans, or not necessarily yet?

I now have to redo the budget for multiple scenarios (this affects the number of hotel rooms, possibly the number of vehicles, etc), plus I don't know what manpower I'll have for the projects we're doing.  The trip will move forward, I just hate unknowns this close to departure date.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »

I had to smile.  I applied for a passport last July and my application is still technically in process.  I have had the new passport (52-page book) and passport card in hand since late August, but do not have my old expired passport (I had sent it in as citizenship proof since this was a standard DS-82 renewal), and I have gotten a letter saying I either failed to apply or failed to sign my passport application.  I have a copy of the form and proof of mailing, but no signature proof since I did not cut-and-paste my signature in the PDF I printed out or take a photo of the signed form before I sent it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »

Shutdown's over. I wouldn't think what will amount to a one-working-day closure will delay any passport applications significantly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »

No guarantee there won't be another shutdown when the new continuing resolution expires, of course. If you need a passport for a trip in March, it may be a good time to pay the extra for the expedited service if that's an option.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:24 AM
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »

Yellowstone (from Austin Texas).  might have to drop our daughter with her dad who is from Wisconsin so may swing through South Dakota

wanderer2575

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:47:27 PM
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

I’m just starting to think about a route for an eight-day roadtrip to North Carolina in mid-April.  Mrs. wanderer wants to stop by a dinnerware exchange replacement place in Greensboro and also visit the Biltmore Estate mansion in Asheville, so we’ll be doing a route incorporating those stops.  I'm hoping to come across good opportunities for sine salad photos.  Right now my plan is:
  • Detroit to Baltimore, probably mostly if not entirely via freeway/turnpike. 
  • I-97 south (driving it for the first time and clinching it) to US-50 south through Delaware, to US-13 and traversing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (just because it’s there and we've never driven it).
  • From Norfolk, south on VA-168 and NC-168 to US-158, perhaps with a stop at Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
  • West on US-64 to US-17 south to US-70 to get a photo of its eastern terminus in Atlantic.
  • Meander northwest to Raleigh, then west to Greensboro.
  • I-73/I-74 south for some distance so I can say I drove it, then west to Concord for photos.  West to Asheville, where I leave the Mrs. at the Biltmore Estate for the day while I drive around for photos.  We’ll have to see how the timing for this works out.
  • Head back toward Detroit and home.  I haven’t given any thought yet about the route I might take.  I’ve done the I-26/US-23, US-25, and US-441 (through Great Smoky Mountains NP) routes before and would like to find something new.  But I’m thinking that by this point I’m going to be running short on time and will have to stick with a route that racks up miles quickly.

leroys73

• Last Login: January 07, 2019, 08:33:11 AM
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:23 PM »

By motorcycle:
Moonshine, IL
Prudhoe Bay, AK
Houston
Probably a trip to south FL
Probably a trip to the Cincinnati area
I am sure one or two trips to Lawton, OK these are hardly a trip, only 200 miles
Maybe one to the Black Hills or some other place of at least 1000 miles one way

By car:
Denver
The Grand Canyon and several of the parks in Utah
Maybe one to South FL
Houston
Maybe a run up to Lawton, OK
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

I'm planning an impromptu road trip this weekend. Tired of the rain, tired of being stuck in the aparement, tired of dealing with idiots.

I've yet to decide which way I'm going.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »

I'm planning an impromptu road trip this weekend. Tired of the rain, tired of being stuck in the aparement, tired of dealing with idiots.

I've yet to decide which way I'm going.

Away from the rain?
That could be a deciding factor.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: February 14, 2024, 02:22:16 AM
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »

I'm dead set on going to Cedar Point and Detroit this year. It'll be for nine days, from June 8th to June 16th. Here's the plans so far:

June 8th: Travel to Cedar Point, using the fastest route possible. This means having to use the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes, which in total is roughly $27 in tolls. Find lodging and unpack things when we arrive in Sandusky.

June 9th - June 12th: Ride coasters/water slides in Cedar Point. Three days riding coasters/thrill rides, one day in the waterpark. Buy a Fast Pass to help clear the lines.

Night of June 12th: Travel to Detroit, again using the fastest route possible. Check into lodging there, and unpack.

June 13th - June 15th: Go around the city of Detroit and surrounding suburbs.

June 16th: Return home from Detroit, still using the fastest route possible.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2018, 09:42:12 PM »

My brother's after me to ride the California Zephyr with him sometime this year. The only road trip it would involve would be me driving to his home in Owen County, then us going up to the Cincinnati area to catch the train. We'd then ride to Chicago, switch trains, and then head out to California.

Of course there's the whole "flying back east" thing that's keeping me from doing it. I guess I could always rent a car, but I doubt I'll have enough vacation days anytime soon to do that.

ce929wax

• Last Login: August 01, 2022, 01:54:50 PM
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2018, 11:15:31 PM »

I'm curious, how close to the Colorado border is Mount Sunflower?

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:38 AM
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »

Having already done the Rioja road trip this year, I'm now planning the one to Soria pine forests next week. I have already mapped the way out and back. Northwest Navarre is happening again in May, but I don't think I'll take any new roads.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »

Less than a mile.  Perhaps the more relevant distance is 12 miles to the nearest paved road, US 40 just west of Weskan.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 41

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 09:59:20 PM
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »

Update for me.

It's a sure thing that I'm driving to Key West in June. Already been approved for the time off.

Not set in stone yet, but there's also a pretty good chance that I'll be taking a 4 day road trip to Louisiana to go to the delta and to drive across the big lake.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:41:43 PM by US 41 »
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 01:41:34 AM
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 11:59:55 PM »

Less than a mile.  Perhaps the more relevant distance is 12 miles to the nearest paved road, US 40 just west of Weskan.

Yeah, I've got 22 miles on unpaved roads each way from I-70 when I do it later this year. Middle of bleeping nowhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »

Believe it or not, there's a possibility I may end up taking two road trips to and/or from Metro New York.

In the meantime, at some point, I want to drive down to St. Petersburg, so I can get more pics of I-175 and I-375 to add to Wikipedia. The same goes for rest areas along I-4, and some other places nearby that road.

Mark68

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 04:12:40 AM
    • My Travels over the years
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »

This was essentially the trip I completed earlier this month. I wanted to catch some spring training games, but some of the trip was impromptu (like Tucson, then coming back thru Jerome, Sedona, and Monument Valley--then taking the "back road"--CO 83 from Colo Springs to Parker).

https://goo.gl/maps/dU2h3AMXHS92
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 09:36:05 PM
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

I went road scholaring today. Enjoy.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskvuzZJ2
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2018, 03:52:04 PM »

^ As did I....trying to plug some holes in my New Hampshire travels.  Not sure when my next multi-day trip will be.  Probably at some point this summer when I attempt to head back to the home state...

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »

I got out this weekend for the first time this year. My knee is finally to the point where it doesn't hurt to drive. The only places I'd been so far this year other than to work were Lexington for a doctor's appointment, Frankfort for a meeting and Hazard for a training class.

I knocked out six more routes in my attempt to clinch all Kentucky state routes 1-100. Got KY 73, KY 84, KY 86, KY 96 and KY 100 done yesterday, and drove the new portion of US 79 in Russellville. Today, I finished KY 79 and also KY 48. I thought I'd done 48 many years ago, but wasn't positive, and it's been extended a bit due to the relocation of US 31E/US 150 north of Bardstown.

I still need portions of KY 8, KY 39, KY 61 and KY 69 to finish up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.