News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Here by popular demand

Started by Highway63, April 20, 2015, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highway63

After the collapse of MTR I didn't really have any place to go, and then all the work I did on Clinched Highway Mapping makes me glad someone is thinking of carrying the torch.

I have remained active by myself, of course, although the past couple years haven't had as many road trips because of salary issues.

In 2010 I moved all my Iowa pages to a new domain, iowahighwayends.net, and also run a WordPress blog from there. I do NOT do social media, for personal and professional reasons.

I still have no creativity in user names. Besides, "TheFutureMrAnnaKendrick" is too long.

I do want to participate in the new CHM, whatever form that takes, and have all of my state files on my hard drive. I also have the updates and notes-for-updates that never got uploaded.

Also by being here I can finally find out what I need to do to get my 2008-present photos onto the Interstate Guide and ask if the clinched-interstate list on AARoads is still updatable (my FTP password doesn't work anymore).

Alex

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on April 20, 2015, 06:02:46 PM
After the collapse of MTR I didn't really have any place to go, and then all the work I did on Clinched Highway Mapping makes me glad someone is thinking of carrying the torch.

I have remained active by myself, of course, although the past couple years haven't had as many road trips because of salary issues.

In 2010 I moved all my Iowa pages to a new domain, iowahighwayends.net, and also run a WordPress blog from there. I do NOT do social media, for personal and professional reasons.

I still have no creativity in user names. Besides, "TheFutureMrAnnaKendrick" is too long.

I do want to participate in the new CHM, whatever form that takes, and have all of my state files on my hard drive. I also have the updates and notes-for-updates that never got uploaded.

Also by being here I can finally find out what I need to do to get my 2008-present photos onto the Interstate Guide and ask if the clinched-interstate list on AARoads is still updatable (my FTP password doesn't work anymore).

Glad to have you aboard Jeff!

I neglected to respond to your email about FTP from a few months back before I finally killed off my old roaddog@aaroads email. Sorry about that.

That email degraded to the point to where it was receiving 300+ spam messages a day. With that I rarely checked it at the end due to frustration. Before I deleted it though, I saw your message, but my Thunderbird killed all of my roaddog emails before I could respond. The pages are still there, and they are still updated. I'll pm you further on it.

As for Interstate-Guide, it has only gotten attention from me adding entries for the newest interstates and occasionally updating I-49, I-69, etc. from Grzrd's valuable posts/research here. Most of the individual routes need a massive overhaul with new photography. I did at least add light box functionality to the pages last week.

SignGeek101

Welcome from still-snowing-in-April Winnipeg!

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Though my visits to Iowa are rare, I've enjoyed your site, Jeff.

Welcome aboard!

freebrickproductions

Welcome to the forums from Huntsville, AL!
I have never been to Iowa before.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

pianocello

I've enjoyed your site, especially the pages about road history within cities. Welcome aboard!
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bugo

froggie

Jeff:  did someone contact you directly regarding creating an account here?  I know there was mention of getting a hold of you since the "CHM 2.0 project" landed here recently.

hbelkins

Jeff, I remember at the Marshalltown meet, you were mentioning not using social media for professional reasons. Just about every reporter I deal with now uses social media, both professionally and personally. Surprised your employer hasn't gotten on that bandwagon. I was in a meeting today with a television meteorologist who said all the reporters and on-air personalities at his station are required to use social media.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Highway63

Froggie: I got a PM after the Madison meet about it. I had been lurking here for a while but didn't create an account.

HB: I am not a reporter or on-air personality, so I am not in that group. (I got enough whiffs about enforced social media activity at my previous job to know I wanted no part of it.) However, I still have to remain outwardly objective, which means nothing political ("no bumper stickers"), and it is better not to be tempted at all. Besides, I don't need the time-sink.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Buffaboy

Welcome from the Beautiful Mohawk Valley!
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

andy3175

Welcome Jeff! Great to hear from you again and hope to see you in the various message threads here.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Highway63

UPDATE: I have changed my privacy policy. ;) At least, inasmuch as one can with the quoted material floating around.

I figure a post here will help clarify things.

KEVIN_224

Welcome to the forum! :)

As for Anna Kendrick? I've never met her, but HAVE been in her home town many times: Portland, Maine. :)

froggie

^ You realize he "rejoined" the forum three years ago, right?

KEVIN_224

Actually, I hadn't noticed that bit of information. Thank you for the heads up! Now, on with the count down! 😳

paulthemapguy

Oh sweet! You're the iowahighwayends guy!  Welcome!  I've definitely used your page for research before!

Also Anna Kendrick is excellence.  :cheers:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Naked.Driver

Quote from: Highway63 on April 20, 2015, 06:02:46 PM

hi jeff!
i have been to your site a few times, and use Shields Up! a great deal; eventually i hope to put up a gallery of shields of all my clinched highways.
i too am on tm, as indicated in my sig.
i just got on here.
hope to meet up with some other road geeks!
for my counties, see naked_driver on mob-rule.
highways are at my highways.
drive as i do!

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.