News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mile roads system

Started by dvferyance, July 28, 2021, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Of course there is the famous mile roads system in metro Detroit and another one exist although not nearly as famous in Racine County WI. Are there any other places were road systems like this exist?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

In MI alone, off the top of my head,
Kent Co
Bay Co
Calhoun Co

Dirt Roads

West Virginia has a bunch of "mile roads", but they are not part of a "mile road system".  The names are based on the streams that the roads run alongside.  Those streams are named after the miles along navigable rivers.  So the names of the "mile roads" are based on the "river mile system".

The one I'm most familiar with still has me perplexed:  Five and Twenty Mile Road (5 and 20 Mile Road), sometimes known as 5 and 20 Mile Creek Road near Fraziers Bottom.  Anybody here familiar with the river mile naming system?

JoePCool14

Quote from: dvferyance on July 28, 2021, 03:41:29 PM
Of course there is the famous mile roads system in metro Detroit and another one exist although not nearly as famous in Racine County WI. Are there any other places were road systems like this exist?

Gah, the one I was going to mention! I have to say I find the mile-road system in Racine County very useful.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US 89

Oneida County, Idaho has a Two Mile Rd and a Four Mile Rd, but they are actually around 2.75 miles from each other and don't really correlate to a system. Both roads appear to be named for the canyons they enter: if I had to guess, those canyons were named for about how many miles south of Malad City they were.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on July 28, 2021, 03:48:00 PM
Kent Co
Bay Co
Calhoun Co
Grand Traverse
Manistee
Midland

SkyPesos

Cincinnati have a 5 Mile Road and 8 Mile Road in Anderson Township in the east, but they are only 1.5 mile apart, not the expected 3 miles, and I have no clue what the "0 Mile" is. My initial guess is the Ohio River, though 5 Mile Rd is 4.4 miles east of it, not 5 miles.

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2021, 09:36:11 PM
Cincinnati have a 5 Mile Road and 8 Mile Road in Anderson Township in the east, but they are only 1.5 mile apart, not the expected 3 miles, and I have no clue what the "0 Mile" is. My initial guess is the Ohio River, though 5 Mile Rd is 4.4 miles east of it, not 5 miles.
They start at the mouth of the Little Miami River and follow the Ohio River. With the curvy nature of some of those roads that's probably why they end up being off on their mileage between each other. It's probably the right distance when you use river miles though.

froggie

The east-west "County Road" lettering system in Ramsey County, MN fits the OP.  "County Road A" was assumed as Larpentur Ave, the boundary between St. Paul and the rest of Ramsey County.  Each successive mile to the north increased the letter, so "County Road B" was 1 mile north, "County Road C" was 2 miles north, and so on up to "County Road J" at the Ramsey/Anoka County line.  There are also a couple half-mile roads included, such as "County Road B2" (halfway between County Road B and County Road C).

I do not recall if what is now CSAH 96 was named as "County Road G" back when it was MN 96 (and MN 100 before that).

frankenroad

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 29, 2021, 08:31:29 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2021, 09:36:11 PM
They start at the mouth of the Little Miami River and follow the Ohio River. With the curvy nature of some of those roads that's probably why they end up being off on their mileage between each other. It's probably the right distance when you use river miles though.

I believe the roads are named for the creeks.   There are (or were) creeks named 3 Mile Cr., 4 Mile Cr., 5 Mile Cr., 8 Mile Cr., 9 Mile Cr., and 10 Mile Creek.  9 & 10 are actually in Clermont County.  There are roads today named for all of them, except I could not find 3 Mile Road (it's possible that Sutton Rd was orignally 3 Mile).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

bulldog1979

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 28, 2021, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: GaryV on July 28, 2021, 03:48:00 PM
Kent Co
Bay Co
Calhoun Co
Grand Traverse
Manistee
Midland
Mecosta and Osceola counties also have mile roads.

Occidental Tourist

Stockton, California has an 8 Mile Road that is approximately 8 miles via the old routing of CA 99 from downtown.  It also has a Five Mile Drive, but that appears to be a residential street named after the adjacent Five Mile Slough and Five Mile Creek.

Flint1979

I'd just like to add about Detroit's mile road system it's common for them to be called just by their number and no mention of Mile after the number. Like if I was telling you to go to 8 Mile and Van Dyke it's common for someone to just call it 8 and Van Dyke.

GaryV

That applies even when the road isn't carrying the X Mile designation.  For example, "Go to 16 and John R".  16 Mile is called Big Beaver in that part of Oakland Co.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 05, 2021, 06:55:42 PM
That applies even when the road isn't carrying the X Mile designation.  For example, "Go to 16 and John R".  16 Mile is called Big Beaver in that part of Oakland Co.
Yeah then Quarton west of Woodward, then it lines up with Walnut Lake west of Middlebelt and Metro Parkway in Macomb County. Is it ever actually signed as 16 Mile Road? I don't ever recall seeing it signed anywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.