News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on November 25, 2021, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 23, 2021, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on November 23, 2021, 09:24:33 AM
That's exactly what Bloomington is. I suppose this would make West Lafayette like Fort Collins?

Colorado and Colorado State aren't really on equal footing in the way that Purdue and Indiana are, so I wouldn't really compare West Lafayette to Fort Collins, but I think the Bloomington-Boulder comparison is spot on. Ann Arbor and Madison are very similar as well.
Big differences between Lafayette and Bloomington. Lafayette is far more industrial with larger population. Bloomington more smallish arts community vibe. Very similar in contrasts between IU and Purdue. Arts vs. Engineering. Both great Big Ten schools with very similar sized student populations. Makes for a fun natural rivalry. There's a football game this weekend.

I'm a proud Boilermaker and I always thought Bloomington was the better college town  :-D. But I must say West Lafayette has gotten much better. The State St. project was a disaster for cars but wonderful for peds, the "465 like" loop has made traveling around better. River Road needs a MASSIVE road diet though.

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 25, 2021, 01:56:02 PM
That's exactly what Bloomington is. I suppose this would make West Lafayette like Fort Collins?

Colorado and Colorado State aren't really on equal footing in the way that Purdue and Indiana are, so I wouldn't really compare West Lafayette to Fort Collins, but I think the Bloomington-Boulder comparison is spot on. Ann Arbor and Madison are very similar as well.
Big differences between Lafayette and Bloomington. Lafayette is far more industrial with larger population. Bloomington more smallish arts community vibe. Very similar in contrasts between IU and Purdue. Arts vs. Engineering. Both great Big Ten schools with very similar sized student populations. Makes for a fun natural rivalry. There's a football game this weekend.

I'm a proud Boilermaker and I always thought Bloomington was the better college town  :-D. But I must say West Lafayette has gotten much better. The State St. project was a disaster for cars but wonderful for peds, the "465 like" loop has made traveling around better. River Road needs a MASSIVE road diet though.
Now if Veterans Memorial can get 4 laned its entire route to make access to the campus better from the south, that would be great.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 25, 2021, 02:03:03 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 25, 2021, 01:56:02 PM

Now if Veterans Memorial can get 4 laned its entire route to make access to the campus better from the south, that would be great.

I forgot that. INDOT should take over maintenance of that road, widen it to 4 lanes, throw 52 onto it and give lafayette back teal road.

SSR_317

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 24, 2021, 01:57:15 PM
The thing is - when you have a speed limit that low to the point it's universally ignored, it's not effective.
Like I-465 having a 55 MPH Speed Limit!

I wish this stretch between Bloomington and Indy would have been done as a full freeway back when it was first widened to 4 lanes back in the 1970s, but our cheap ass state kicked it down the road for nearly 50 years. But at least it's now finally getting done and will be of much more more modern design than it would have been had it been done as a freeway back then.

Happy Holiday Season to all, especially to ITB, and yes, even to the Purdue people too. Go HOOSIERS (and Puck Furdue)!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: SSR_317 on November 26, 2021, 08:46:05 PM
I wish this stretch between Bloomington and Indy would have been done as a full freeway back when it was first widened to 4 lanes back in the 1970s, but our cheap ass state kicked it down the road for nearly 50 years. But at least it's now finally getting done and will be of much more more modern design than it would have been had it been done as a freeway back then.

I remember when the proposal for the 37 bypass was first mentioned, circa 1968-69 (IIRC).  It didn't go over well on the west side, from what I remember, which back then was residential with some industry (Otis Elevator and Westinghouse, among others) along Curry Pike.  But the then-current alignment of 37, which had opened in 1950, had become a death trap between Bloomington and Martinsville, and had to be 4-laned.

QuoteHappy Holiday Season to all, especially to ITB, and yes, even to the Purdue people too. Go HOOSIERS (and Puck Furdue)!

Purwho?  :-D :D :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

ITB

Few more pictures. Photos were taken Friday, November 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted. Happy Thanksgiving!

Looking south from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. On the left, with the slipform paver in position and the guidewire strung, paving of the barrier wall between the northbound through lanes and the collector-distributor lane south of the SR 44 overpass appears imminent.

The view in the other direction; looking north from the SR 44 overpass. Prior to Thanksgiving, probably the day before, the barrier wall was paved north of the overpass. Insulating blankets cover the dry cast concrete to insure proper curing.

Two slipform pavers just south of the SR 44 overpass; looking southeast. Take note of the portable lighting equipment ready at hand if work pushes into the evening.

Looking south from the SR 44 overpass.

A look toward the southbound lanes from the SR 44 overpass; looking north. After the concrete paving near the Ohio Street interchange completes, which should be soon, the focus will shift to paving up the mainline in this vicinity.

New signage; looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville.

Looking south toward the SR 44 overpass. With the paving of the right shoulder, the northbound lanes are now completely paved between the mainline bridge over SR 252/Hospital Dr. and the temporary northern closure point of SR 37 at Morgan Street just north of Martinsville.

And here's the view looking north toward that closure point. Note the church steeple, which will seen again in a couple of upcoming photos.

Good weather is expected all next week in central Indiana, with temperatures reaching into the high 50s on Thursday and Friday. This will allow crews to complete more paving in Martinsville, but although they probably won't get it all done, the finishing point will be near. Thanks to those who have expressed kind words about the photo sets. Your support is appreciated.

More photos to come.

ITB

Another batch. Photos were taken Friday, November 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Long range view looking south toward the future Teeters Road overpass in Morgan County, located about two miles north of Martinsville. On the right are the pilings for the western abutment of the future Myra Road overpass. The church steeple mentioned at the end of the previous photo set can be discerned in the deep background (expand the photo).

Closer look.

Looking west from the SR 37/Ennis Road crossing toward the Henderson Ford Road interchange. I snapped this one off while in the car waiting for the light to change. Of interest, perhaps to some, is the newly placed combo I-69 shield and 145.6 mile marker sign. There's another one further up, signed mile 145.4, and another just prior to the overpass. Also, the southbound exit ramp to Henderson Ford is signed Exit 145.

Closer look (expand the photo for a better view).

Here's a set of four looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville:

The asphalt paving looks to be nearly complete on the southbound mainline just south of the bridge over State Road 252/Hospital Drive. As many of you already know, this was the area where the ground was built up and then topped with a surcharge.

Finally, a few minutes before sunset the sun began to peek from behind the cloud cover.

As the sun more fully emerged just above the horizon, a golden hue spread across the landscape. The photo looks OK, but could have been a bit better if I had used a tripod and a remote shutter. Going forward I just might do that for these long range shots.

Long range view. Paving of the northbound lanes where the surcharge had been placed should begin early next week.

Looking northeast toward the mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville. The southbound driving lanes are now completely paved from Ohio Street to just south of the mainline bridge over Indian Creek. Paving of the strip to complete the northbound driving lanes appears imminent. After that completes, the right shoulder of both the north and southbound mainline in this vicinity will be paved. That probably will take place next week.

Another look south toward the future Teeters Road overpass.

And another of the signage at the Ohio Street interchange; looking south. About a quarter mile north of the mainline bridges over Indian Creek, a gantry has been installed over the northbound lanes, but no signs have been attached yet. Also, both the north and southbound lanes have been fully striped from the Indian Creek bridges to a little beyond the former SR 37/Burton Lane intersection.

Detached large excavator bucket near the Henderson Ford Road work zone. And, yes, it's a big as it looks.

tdindy88

Quote from: ITB on November 27, 2021, 09:50:45 PM

And another of the signage at the Ohio Street interchange; looking south. About a quarter mile north of the mainline bridges over Indian Creek, a gantry has been installed over the northbound lanes, but no signs have been attached yet. Also, both the north and southbound lanes have been fully striped from the Indian Creek bridges to a little beyond the former SR 37/Burton Lane intersection.

I had a chance to see the I-69 corridor, also on Friday coincidently and noticed that same gantry on I-69 north after Indian Creek. It looks like the gantry for a variable message sign. I noticed that they have several cameras installed along the SR 37 corridor from Martinsville northward and also one at least at the SR 44/252 exit. Considering INDOT adding more traffic cameras along the interstates statewide I wonder if they are eventually going to have cameras down to Bloomington with maybe another VMS or two?

In the picture I also notice the SR 39 sign signing Martinsville. I know the original sign along SR 37 had the same thing but at this point we are now on the southwest side of Martinsville. I'm kind of hoping they would mention Martinsville at the SR 44/252 exit for those coming in from the north. Coming from the south having Martinsville with SR 39 makes complete sense. I hope there will also be some mention of Morgantown and Franklin at SR 252 and 44 on the signs along the interstate. The signage plan didn't mention any of that (and who's heard of Reuben Drive?) but since they changed the Artesian Avenue mention from the original plans (Mahalsville Road) then I hope they may change some other signs before the end.

Finally, I noticed they now have a new Taco Bell and McDonalds along SR 39 north of I-69, signaling a shift from businesses being along Burton Lane to SR 39 where they will be easier to reach from the new interstate. I think a good gas station would be nice along that road as well close to the exit, I think there might just be one small Kroger station off of Ohio St and one at Morgan and Hospital Dr west of I-69.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 27, 2021, 10:22:29 PM
Quote from: ITB on November 27, 2021, 09:50:45 PM

I had a chance to see the I-69 corridor, also on Friday coincidently and noticed that same gantry on I-69 north after Indian Creek. It looks like the gantry for a variable message sign. I noticed that they have several cameras installed along the SR 37 corridor from Martinsville northward and also one at least at the SR 44/252 exit. Considering INDOT adding more traffic cameras along the interstates statewide I wonder if they are eventually going to have cameras down to Bloomington with maybe another VMS or two?

In the picture I also notice the SR 39 sign signing Martinsville. I know the original sign along SR 37 had the same thing but at this point we are now on the southwest side of Martinsville. I'm kind of hoping they would mention Martinsville at the SR 44/252 exit for those coming in from the north. Coming from the south having Martinsville with SR 39 makes complete sense. I hope there will also be some mention of Morgantown and Franklin at SR 252 and 44 on the signs along the interstate. The signage plan didn't mention any of that (and who's heard of Reuben Drive?) but since they changed the Artesian Avenue mention from the original plans (Mahalsville Road) then I hope they may change some other signs before the end.

Finally, I noticed they now have a new Taco Bell and McDonalds along SR 39 north of I-69, signaling a shift from businesses being along Burton Lane to SR 39 where they will be easier to reach from the new interstate. I think a good gas station would be nice along that road as well close to the exit, I think there might just be one small Kroger station off of Ohio St and one at Morgan and Hospital Dr west of I-69.

:hmmm: maybe they will have a "martinsville next x exits" sign

tdindy88

The signage plans do call a sign with the three exits approaching Martinsville, similar to what was there on SR 37. So yes that will be there, still don't know why you have to mention Martinsville when you're on your way out of town. Actually, now that I think of it, the SR 39 sign could very well be signed for Morton Avenue. But alas, it will be SR 39 North to Martinsville. Not the worse problem.

ilpt4u

I drove down Harding St/SR 37 from I-70 today, down to the closure, then thru Martinsville, then back onto 37/69 down to Evansville

I didn't realize that pretty much the whole thing is under construction at this point, between Martinsville and I-465! InDOT wants to get this thing done!

seicer

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 28, 2021, 10:46:08 AM
The signage plans do call a sign with the three exits approaching Martinsville, similar to what was there on SR 37. So yes that will be there, still don't know why you have to mention Martinsville when you're on your way out of town. Actually, now that I think of it, the SR 39 sign could very well be signed for Morton Avenue. But alas, it will be SR 39 North to Martinsville. Not the worse problem.

My personal preference is to see control cities listed regardless if its in the city or not. There are times when I'll miss the "[CITY] NEXT 3 EXITS" sign and then wonder what the "39th Street" exit is for.

Thegeet

Quote from: ITB on November 27, 2021, 04:47:57 PM

And here's the view looking north toward that closure point. Note the church steeple, which will seen again in a couple of upcoming photos.

Good weather is expected all next week in central Indiana, with temperatures reaching into the high 50s on Thursday and Friday. This will allow crews to complete more paving in Martinsville, but although they probably won't get it all done, the finishing point will be near. Thanks to those who have expressed kind words about the photo sets. Your support is appreciated.

More photos to come.
Why is that concrete barrier for the median that tall in the picture ?

silverback1065

Quote from: Thegeet on November 29, 2021, 11:32:20 AM
Quote from: ITB on November 27, 2021, 04:47:57 PM

More photos to come.
Why is that concrete barrier for the median that tall in the picture ?

likely because of super elevation, i.e. one direction of lanes is higher than the other, and the median wall is doubling as a retaining wall.

Thegeet

ITB

On Sunday I didn't have much to do so I went up to Marion County for a look-see. I'm glad I did because a lot of construction activity is now underway in that area. As an earlier post mentioned, virtually all of Section 6 is currently under construction to one extent or another. In Martinsville, while driving through, I noticed two paving crews at work and, again, this was Sunday. It appears not a good weather day is to be wasted. As I continued up State Road 37 toward Indy, numerous dump trucks loaded with either asphalt or concrete were headed the other way on their way to Martinsville.

I'll put a few pictures now and over the next couple of weeks some more. If anyone is interested in seeing all of them right now check out my Flickr page here. Photos were taken Saturday, November 27, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

The bridge that will carry the southbound mainline over County Line Road in Marion County; looking east. In the foreground is one of two roundabouts that are planned for the County Line Road interchange; the other will be east of the mainline.

Looking east across the roundabout.

Closer look at the bridge's south abutment; looking northeast.

The abutment's decorative MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) wall panels; looking east.

Looking northwest toward the roundabout.

Mid-range view looking southeast.

Perspective looking north from the south abutment. In the background (expand the photo) to the left of the excavators is the under construction southbound mainline bridge over Pleasant Run Creek.

And another looking north toward the south abutment.

Looking south toward the roundabout. The road in the foreground is the new connector that will run between Wicker Road and the traffic circle; it has yet to be signed. The first section of the road — between Wicker Road and Glenns Valley Lane — is expected to be opened to traffic this week.

Another perspective; looking southeast.

And one more looking slightly northeast.

edwaleni

Has any prep work started at I-465?

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on November 30, 2021, 11:26:07 AM

nope. that will be done last. INDOT is spacing out their massive projects for the Indy area. They will take care of that when the do the widening project i think. 465/69 NE side starts next year and will really heat up once north split is done. i think the south side widening will happen around then too.

ilpt4u

I didn't notice anything, but then again I drove that section of 465 in the dark on Saturday night

Didn't really notice anything on 37 either around where 69 will break from Harding St, but the work on 37 really picks up just south of where 69 is to veer west toward the future 465 interchange

silverback1065

Actually the bridge overpasses are prep work. The keystone bridge is being rebuilt now

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 30, 2021, 12:47:45 PM
I didn't notice anything, but then again I drove that section of 465 in the dark on Saturday night

Didn't really notice anything on 37 either around where 69 will break from Harding St, but the work on 37 really picks up just south of where 69 is to veer west toward the future 465 interchange

I was thinking like property clearing, utility relocations.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on November 30, 2021, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 30, 2021, 12:47:45 PM

I was thinking like property clearing, utility relocations.

I'm sure those activities are either completed or are underway. It's possible, too, some temporary pavement already has been put down on I-465 in preparation for lane shifts. Interestingly, both the inner and outer lanes of I-465 are to be shifted eight feet to the south in the vicinity of the new I-69 interchange. This is being done primarily to accommodate the tight radius of the ramp and overpass from I-465 west to I-69 southbound.

As many of you already know, Contract #5 of Section 6, which encompasses the new I-465/I-69 interchange and other significant road work on I-465 as well as State Road 37, was awarded to a Walsh Construction/Milestone Contractors joint venture. It's a P3 project and was awarded through the Indiana Finance Authority. The Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team's (WMDBT) proposal can be accessed here. It's beautifully put together and worth a look, though certain sections have been redacted. As it's a lot of separate files, wading through them can take time.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ITB on November 30, 2021, 03:29:35 PM
As many of you already know, Contract #5 of Section 6, which encompasses the new I-465/I-69 interchange and other significant road work on I-465 as well as State Road 37, was awarded to a Walsh Construction/Milestone Contractors joint venture. It's a P3 project and was awarded through the Indiana Finance Authority.

Hmmm...The maps at https://i69finishline.com/construction-schedule/ seem to indicate construction starting at the interchange at 2022 at the earliest, with many pieces lagging to 2023 and 2024...maybe with the P3 mechanism, the lines will be blurred between design and construction and we will see things happen more quickly than the colors on the map would suggest.

Interstate 69 Fan

I've seen some. The massive area that will be the interchange has been cleared of buildings as well as trees, and road removal process is still ongoing. You can see the massive area clear driving eastbound just prior to/at the curve just north of the former Thompson Rd/Warman Ave intersection.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

tdindy88

I would like to thank ITB for their link to the documents on the last part of Section 6. Lots of good information in there, but what I'm usually more interested in (as are a lot of us on this forum) is the signs. I was able to pick up some of the planned signage in the vincinity of the future I-69/I-465 interchange. I have posted an image below and have a number next to each sign to give my thoughts about this. This is the northern end of I-69's Southern Indiana termius so I am very interested in how it's going to be signed. I'm pleased with the plans as they currently stand.

1. This is at northbound I-465 with I-70 on the west side. Peoria now gets control city status along I-465, complementing what's currently at the I-65 interchange on the south side. I-70 is just St. Louis and Indy, no mention of the airport, which will get regulated to supplemental signage prior to the exit. Lots of APL signs along this section.

2. Sign along I-465 east of Mann Rd with I-69 and controls of Ft Wayne and Evansville, no exit tab interestingly enough.

3. APL signage along I-465 west at the Mann Rd interchange. There will be five lanes heading west from Mann Rd, the rightmost lane will exit off at Kentucky Avenue.

4. APL signage at I-465 east and I-69, marked as Exit 4b. Harding St is Exit 4a and I-69 south is indeed signed for Evansville. Interesting there is no signage for Martinsville and Bloomington. I do think some supplemental signage would be appropriate, hell the signs already exist, just throw a B next to the Exit 4. I-69 north gets a control city of Ft Wayne heading east from Exit 4 A-B.

5.  Looking west on I-465 at Exit 4B with 465/74 signed for Peoria and I-69 south again signed for Evansville.

6. Placment of the three interstate shields that will mark Indiana's first interstate triplex.

7. Heading east at Exit 2 A-B I-465/69/74 loses two lanes at the exit, it's five lanes heading east from Exit 4 but one lane goes off at Exit 2B and the other at Exit 2A. This keeps the lane configuration the same where US 31 crosses over the interstate, meaning there's no need to change the interchange design for now. I mean they should fix that exit but it seems like they're not going to.

8. I-465/69/74 westbound at Exit 2A. The "widening" of I-465 between Exits 2 and 53 will be three mainline lanes and one auxilary lane on the right. The SB I-65 ramp to westbound I-465 becomes an auxiliary lane that turns off at Exit 2A. Here Exit 4B is signed two miles away, but no mention of Harding St

9. A similar auxiliary lane exists on the eastbound part of I-465/69/74 between US 31 and I-65 south, which turns off here at Exit 53B. This again means that the lane configuration within I-65 interchange will stay the same.

10. Signage for the Southport Rd exit along I-69 south. Something's weird on this one. The signage plans have it signed as Exit 162, but the left are two planned milemarkers in the same location that designated this as Mile 160. Based on a look at the mileage along SR 37 this should be Exit 160. I noticed the Wikipedia article on I-69 was recently changed perhaps to reflect this signage plan, but it looks to be two miles off. SR 144 is Exit 153 which is correct but Smith Valley Rd is Exit 158 acccording to the I-69 page. It's only three miles between the two plans and signage plans do show it as Exit 156. Likewise County Line Rd should be 158, Southport 160 and Epler/Harding as 161 and I-465 as 162.

11. Mileage sign south of Southport Rd with mentions of Martinsville/Bloomington/Evansville. The first mileage sign along I-69 south of I-465.

12. Signs for Exit 161 (shown here as 163) for Epler Ave TO Harding St. The best way to sign this arrangement. Exit 162 (shown as 164) mentions both I-74 controls of Peoria and Cincinnati plus the I-69 north control city of Ft Wayne. This would provide a perfect match to the plans for I-69 on the north side where Evansville is the control city at the I-465 interchange. I do like it very much that Indiana is sticking with Ft Wayne and Evansville as the control cities and not places like...Fulton, KY.

13. I-69 north's final split at I-465, two lanes heading west toward 465/74 and Peoria and two lanes heading east for 69 north to Ft Wayne and 465/74 to Cincinnati. Interestingly, there's no mention of the airport on any of these signs, that may not be a bad idea for I-69 approaching I-465.

Anyway, this has been a very long thread but I thought some might be interested in how the final part of I-69 will look.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.