CA-65 @ I-80 Interchange to go under construction

Started by bing101, April 27, 2018, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://8065interchange.org

This is for an interchange improvement. and it will start on April 30th.

sparker

Quote from: bing101 on April 27, 2018, 08:16:34 PM
http://8065interchange.org

This is for an interchange improvement. and it will start on April 30th.

Unfortunately, that interchange will retain its present configuration as a trumpet with the heaviest movement around the loop rather than via the direct SB>EB ramp.  I was living less than a mile away when it was opened to traffic in the summer of 1987; and most local drivers (including my cousin who went on to become a Caltrans bridge engineer) were perplexed that the trumpet had not been reversed to provide a higher-speed connection from I-80 east to CA 65 north -- especially since the development in the tri-city area (Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln) was well underway at that time, with new tracts accessed via CA 65 coming on line almost continuously after that date.  Apparently there was some concern about damage to the adjacent watershed immediately to the south of the interchange, so the plans were "massaged" to the present configuration to avoid impinging on the identified problematic area (a similar situation to the I-94/196/US 31 situation near Benton Harbor, MI).  Because of funding limitations, a directional interchange had not been considered, so the area required for the trumpet had not only needed to be shifted NE along I-80, but also "squeezed" into a tighter than usual profile so as not to impinge on an adjoining creekbed; this accounts for the low-speed loop from EB I-80 to NB CA 65.  AFAIK (at least according to Caltrans sources) there's no near-term funded plans to effect basic changes to the present configuration except to expand capacity on CA 65 so that the proximity of the regional commercial center along that freeway to the north of the interchange doesn't result in additional backup issues around the loop. 

Plutonic Panda

Sheesh, says on their website they are planning a nearly 500 million dollar investment but they can't afford a directional interchange? I'm usually the one to advocate for more lanes but in this case how about fixing the bottleneck first.

skluth

I watched the video which shows a directional ramp from eastbound I-80 to CA 65. Does it state somewhere in the proposal (I'm too lazy to go through all of it) that they are keeping the stupid loop ramp?

Video is at http://8065interchange.org/?page_id=1119

Plutonic Panda

Yes in the link you provided it does show they are adding directional ramps and removing the loop ramp. Great to this!

http://8065interchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Proposed_Improvements_09-30-2016.pdf

mrsman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 30, 2018, 05:59:11 PM
Yes in the link you provided it does show they are adding directional ramps and removing the loop ramp. Great to this!

http://8065interchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Proposed_Improvements_09-30-2016.pdf

Oddly, the logo for the project prominently features the old loop.  As though it is something to be proud of.

sparker

Quote from: mrsman on April 30, 2018, 08:07:02 PM

Oddly, the logo for the project prominently features the old loop.  As though it is something to be proud of.

As I understand it from both the project description and the video, the first phase -- the only one funded so far -- keeps the loop but adds an additional lane to accommodate CA 65 traffic getting off at Stanford Ranch, which apparently backs up onto the loop and the loop's approach lanes on EB I-80.  It does look like eventually it will be replaced by a directional interchange (I noticed that they're going to keep the EB-NB flyover very close to the existing I-80 lanes -- probably to keep it away from the creekbed shown on the map -- the same one that necessitated the existing reverse-trumpet configuration).  But the horizon for this, according to the proposal text, is all the way out to 2040.  So it looks like we'll have to put up with the trumpet loop for at least a couple more decades. 

Henry

The directional interchange in the video looks nice! It seems to flow better than the trumpet that's there now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MrAndy1369

Nice. Finally, about time! That whole area has been a mess for a long time.

skluth

Quote from: sparker on May 01, 2018, 02:34:49 AM

As I understand it from both the project description and the video, the first phase -- the only one funded so far -- keeps the loop but adds an additional lane to accommodate CA 65 traffic getting off at Stanford Ranch, which apparently backs up onto the loop and the loop's approach lanes on EB I-80.  It does look like eventually it will be replaced by a directional interchange (I noticed that they're going to keep the EB-NB flyover very close to the existing I-80 lanes -- probably to keep it away from the creekbed shown on the map -- the same one that necessitated the existing reverse-trumpet configuration).  But the horizon for this, according to the proposal text, is all the way out to 2040.  So it looks like we'll have to put up with the trumpet loop for at least a couple more decades.

Great. Let's make this already tight loop ramp even tighter and wait ten years to fix it. (/sarcasm)

sparker

Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2018, 05:32:12 PM

Great. Let's make this already tight loop ramp even tighter and wait ten years to fix it. (/sarcasm)

Welcome to Caltrans' current logic.  Apparently (according to my Caltrans-engineer cousin) mega-projects, such as making this interchange directional, either (a) are being rushed to start almost immediately -- if preliminary steps are already under way, or (b) being pushed off to a longer horizon, pending what happens with the gas-tax recission effort that will be on the state ballot in the fall.  In short, use the funds available today with the tax hike in place, or don't even start on them until such time as the future of those additional funds is secure.  If the tax is revoked, they'll just be shelved until they can be programmed in down the line.  I can understand this approach -- don't leave a lot of half-done projects out in the field (.....HSR ROW in the Valley....cough, cough!) but get done what they can in the near term.  Since the 80/65 "interim-improvement" project was already in the pipeline, it'll go through as planned.  But if the tax survives, some projects may be advanced as needs are continuously reassessed.  Right now emphasis is being placed on (a) longstanding repair needs (b) longstanding capacity enhancements, and (c) projects already scheduled for this fiscal year. 

I tend to be somewhat hard on Caltrans because of their ongoing issues with signage, route continuity, and other related issues -- but in this instance, I can certainly understand their measured approach to project initiation until such time as long-range funding is relatively secure.  At the risk of seeming overtly political about a pending ballot issue -- I for one just pray that enough voters take a long-range approach to the state's transportation needs rather than simply manifest a knee-jerk reaction to somewhat higher pump prices, likely egged on by politicos and their flacks chaining the HSR issues to the tax increase (you just know that's coming)!     

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: sparker on May 07, 2018, 06:03:23 PM
Quote from: skluth on May 07, 2018, 05:32:12 PM

Welcome to Caltrans' current logic.  Apparently (according to my Caltrans-engineer cousin) mega-projects, such as making this interchange directional, either (a) are being rushed to start almost immediately -- if preliminary steps are already under way, or (b) being pushed off to a longer horizon, pending what happens with the gas-tax recission effort that will be on the state ballot in the fall.  In short, use the funds available today with the tax hike in place, or don't even start on them until such time as the future of those additional funds is secure.  If the tax is revoked, they'll just be shelved until they can be programmed in down the line.  I can understand this approach -- don't leave a lot of half-done projects out in the field (.....HSR ROW in the Valley....cough, cough!) but get done what they can in the near term.  Since the 80/65 "interim-improvement" project was already in the pipeline, it'll go through as planned.  But if the tax survives, some projects may be advanced as needs are continuously reassessed.  Right now emphasis is being placed on (a) longstanding repair needs (b) longstanding capacity enhancements, and (c) projects already scheduled for this fiscal year. 

I tend to be somewhat hard on Caltrans because of their ongoing issues with signage, route continuity, and other related issues -- but in this instance, I can certainly understand their measured approach to project initiation until such time as long-range funding is relatively secure.  At the risk of seeming overtly political about a pending ballot issue -- I for one just pray that enough voters take a long-range approach to the state's transportation needs rather than simply manifest a knee-jerk reaction to somewhat higher pump prices, likely egged on by politicos and their flacks chaining the HSR issues to the tax increase (you just know that's coming)!     
I think they really should just start it and if the gas tax is revoked then let it stand half completely as a reminder of what would have been finished by now if the gas tax stayed. I'm rather critical of the gas tax at times because of the money from it going to mass transit projects, but I think the gas tax should stay.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.