News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 27, 2021, 01:58:10 PM
I doubt Interstate 69 between Evansville and Indianapolis will be "overbuilt". If you ask me, maybe it should have been built when the Indianapolis-to-Michigan segment was built. Of course, that may have been pie-in-the-sky to try and do that back then, but it probably could have been justified.
Assuming it took the originally intended alignment along Binford Blvd, how then would it get to the south side of town? Perhaps the writing was on the wall when I-164 was built, because look what's happened to it now. As soon as I-69 is finished, there'll be a nice freeway connecting Indianapolis to Evansville as well as Ft. Wayne, Lansing, Flint and Port Huron, with more to come further south, even if it takes decades to accomplish that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

an interstate should have always gone from indy to memphis through eville. should have been called i-63. it surprises me a us route didn't make this journey either. i'd call it us 39

Avalanchez71

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 01, 2021, 08:20:48 AM
an interstate should have always gone from indy to memphis through eville. should have been called i-63. it surprises me a us route didn't make this journey either. i'd call it us 39

I-65 to I-40 already covers this movement or I-70 to I-57 to I-55. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 01, 2021, 09:24:09 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 01, 2021, 08:20:48 AM

I-65 to I-40 already covers this movement or I-70 to I-57 to I-55.
How about US 51/US 45/US 60/US 41/IN 67? The entire interstate system is a pork project, let's go back to using US and state routes the whole way through !

ITB

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 27, 2021, 10:49:11 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 27, 2021, 02:54:43 PM
I never understood why Greenwood hasn't annexed all of Center Grove. I always thought that area was Greenwood proper but weirdly it isn't.

I always wondered the same. In essence I think those in Center Grove, or White River Township prefer not to belong to Greenwood. Anyway they mostly all have Greenwood addresses so there is that.

I'd like to chime in here, even though a little late. Annexation is often a fraught process, with differing viewpoints on both sides. Typically, there are those who want to annex and those who don't, and vice versa. One factor that usually comes into play is the schools. In the case of Center Grove, or White River Township, they have their own school system, the Center Grove Community School Corporation. If Center Grove were to be annexed into Greenwood, its school system would likely be absorbed into the Greenwood Community School Corporation. That's a touchy issue.

A few years back, the city of Bloomington announced intentions to annex several areas in and around the city. It triggered a state response, with the Indiana General Assembly passing legislation prohibiting the action. The city sued, and earlier this year, was victorious, with the courts determining the state's response unconstitutional. Now the city is once again moving forward with its annexation plans.

Speaking of schools, Center Grove High School won last year's state football championship, playing in 6A, the highest division. Center Grove is one the state's powerhouse teams. They play in the toughest football conference in Indiana, the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC), comprised of teams from Indianapolis and Carmel. These are very large schools where football is more than just a pastime. Carmel has an enrollment of 5,000; Warren Center, 3,700; Ben Davis, 4,000; and so on. Center Grove is on the lower end at around 2,600. This is serious, big time high school football. Some of these teams travel to adjacent states to play other big football schools. Last year, Center Grove ended up ranked #13 nationally.

Highlights of last year's game between Center Grove and Cathedral, a major Indianapolis team, as well as the state's 2020 6A championship game, can be found here and here.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on June 01, 2021, 03:29:33 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 27, 2021, 10:49:11 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 27, 2021, 02:54:43 PM
I never understood why Greenwood hasn't annexed all of Center Grove. I always thought that area was Greenwood proper but weirdly it isn't.

I always wondered the same. In essence I think those in Center Grove, or White River Township prefer not to belong to Greenwood. Anyway they mostly all have Greenwood addresses so there is that.

I'd like to chime in here, even though a little late. Annexation is often a fraught process, with differing viewpoints on both sides. Typically, there are those who want to annex and those who don't, and vice versa. One factor that usually comes into play is the schools. In the case of Center Grove, or White River Township, they have their own school system, the Center Grove Community School Corporation. If Center Grove were to be annexed into Greenwood, its school system would likely be absorbed into the Greenwood Community School Corporation. That's a touchy issue.

A few years back, the city of Bloomington announced intentions to annex several areas in and around the city. It triggered a state response, with the Indiana General Assembly passing legislation prohibiting the action. The city sued, and earlier this year, was victorious, with the courts determining the state's response unconstitutional. Now the city is once again moving forward with its annexation plans.

Speaking of schools, Center Grove High School won last year's state football championship, playing in 6A, the highest division. Center Grove is one the state's powerhouse teams. They play in the toughest football conference in Indiana, the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC), comprised of teams from Indianapolis and Carmel. These are very large schools where football is more than just a pastime. Carmel has an enrollment of 5,000; Warren Center, 3,700; Ben Davis, 4,000; and so on. Center Grove is on the lower end at around 2,600. This is serious, big time high school football. Some of these teams travel to adjacent states to play other big football schools. Last year, Center Grove ended up ranked #13 nationally.

Highlights of last year's game between Center Grove and Cathedral, a major Indianapolis team, as well as the state's 2020 6A championship game, can be found here and here.

School district merger is a separate question from city annexation. Greenwood could annex all or part of WR Twp without merging the school districts. Up here in Lake County, there are several mismatched between city and school district boundaries.

That said, I know have several in-laws and friends who live in Center Grove and they aren't interested in becoming part of Greenwood.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ITB

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 01, 2021, 03:58:34 PM
School district merger is a separate question from city annexation. Greenwood could annex all or part of WR Twp without merging the school districts. Up here in Lake County, there are several mismatched between city and school district boundaries.

Thanks for the clarification. Annexation and school district merger are indeed separate, but appear to be closely related. Googling the topic of annexation and school districts, it appears the issue is dependent, to some extent, on state law.  Note what the Ohio code says below.

In Indiana, per Indiana Code 20-25-5-11, an "annexation may be effected if an acquiring school corporation and a losing school corporation each adopts a substantially identical annexation resolution." So, at least in Indiana, it seems there must be agreement between both parties for school districts to merge or separate.

In Ohio, a section of the code reads as follows: "When all of the territory of a school district is annexed to a city or village, such territory thereby becomes a part of the city school district or the school district of which the village is a part, and the legal title to school property in such territory for school purposes shall be vested in the board of education of the city school district or the school district of which the village is a part." Section 3311.06 (C)(1)

Links: Indiana Annexation by School Corporations
          Ohio Laws & Administrative Rules, Section 3311.06

silverback1065

Maybe center Grove could become its own city.

Pixel 5

tdindy88

One further note concerning the school districts around Greenwood. Newer parts of Greenwood to the east and south, say around the new Worthsville Road exit are all still a part of the Clark-Pleasant school district (Whiteland HS.) So there is already precedent of people living within Greenwood limits and not going to Greenwood schools. Those district boundaries are set and can't be changed unless a separate merger or something happens.

Also one more thing I just noticed, parts of Greenwood's far western area (around SR 135 and already annexed by the city) are already in Center Grove's district.

ITB

With the passing of the month of May, we're now a little over 40% through the one-year closure of State Road 37 in Martinsville. There are roughly 200 more days to go until the highway is expected to be reopened as Interstate 69. Construction is rapidly moving forward. Beams have now been placed for the mainline bridges at the Morton Ave./SR 39 interchange, as well as for the bridge that will carry the northbound lanes over Indian Creek south of Martinsville. Concrete paving also is taking place between Indian Creek and the future SR 39 interchange for the northbound lanes.

Here's some pictures of construction in Martinsville. Photos were taken Sunday, May 30, 2021, unless otherwise noted. To provide points of reference, I'll first put up two maps from INDOT's I-69 Finish Line webpage.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1 (Martinsville segment)

Courtesy I-69 Finish Line.

Courtesy I-69 Finish Line.

Looking southwest from near the future I-69/State Road 39 interchange in Martinsville. On the right, northbound I-69 traffic is detouring onto Morton Ave./SR 39 in Martinsville. Visible in the center-left is the sloping curve of the future northbound off ramp that will lead to the interchange's eastern roundabout. Rebar dowel baskets have been placed in preparation to concrete paving the left northbound lane.

Beams were recently placed for the mainline bridges over Morton Ave./State Road 39 for the new I-69/SR 39 interchange; looking northwest.

The outline of the eastern roundabout at the future I-69/SR 39 interchange; looking southeast.

[/url]
The intersection of Rogers Road and Morton Ave./SR 39 in Martinsville just west of the future SR 39 interchange; looking northwest. As part of the new interchange, another roundabout will be constructed very near that intersection. It will be the last component of the interchange to be built.

Another perspective of the mainline bridges at the SR 39 interchange; looking west.

Looking northeast toward the mainline roadways from near the SR 39 interchange. In the background is the Burton Lane crossing, which remains open at this time.

Close up of the Link-Belt crane at SR 39 interchange work zone; looking northwest.

ITB

Here's another picture set of construction in Martinsville. Photos were taken Sunday, May 30, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

ndiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1 (Martinsville segment)

View from near the former State Road 37/Burton Lane intersection in Martinsville; looking slightly northeast. In the background is the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road work zone, where an interchange is under construction.

Staging area at the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road work zone; looking northeast.

The Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road crossing, which remains open at this time; looking south. At some point, the crossing will be closed to facilitate construction of the interchange. Not everyday one comes across a farm tractor exiting a shopping center, but it is what it is. To an extent, Martinsville still retains some aspects of its farming community roots.

Sound wall construction just north of the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road work zone; looking south.

Stack of precast concrete panels for MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) walls at the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road work zone; looking northeast.

New mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch; looking east. Sartor Ditch was recently shifted to its new channel, facilitating construction of the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road interchange.

Another look from the Burton Lane crossing in Martinsville; looking northeast.

edwaleni

I like that Sartor Ditch has more capacity as it passes under I-69.  I hope they also widen the ditch down Mahalasville Road because it is at the west turn towards Indian Creek the water backups occur.

Trash, leaves, tree debris get caught in the culvert and causes the water to back up all the way to the high school.

Google Maps shows that INDOT bought up all the land along Mahalasville Road, including a new self-storage facility, and will be shifting that road east away from Sartor Ditch.

This is good because the pitch for water drainage from the new highway starts at the new Grand Valley overpass and all flows toward Sartor Ditch.

ITB

One final set of pictures of construction in Martinsville. Photos were taken Sunday, May 30, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1 (Martinsville segment)

Looking north from near the new mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch in Martinsville, Indiana.

Closer look. In the mid-background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass, and further back, at the crest of the hill, is the new, still-under-construction overpass for State Road 44.

Here's the view from the other direction; looking south from near the under construction State Road 44 overpass.

Perspective using the zoom lens. In the mid-center is the State Road 252/Hospital Drive work zone, where an overpass and interchange is under construction. Further back is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass, and visible beyond that are the new mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch. In the deep background, the pilings for the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road are discernible.

Here's the view without the zoom; looking south. This is what the eye sees. The road pictured is the temporary connector between State Road 252/Hospital Drive and State Road 44.

Turning around, the view looking north from the State Road 44 overpass. In the background right is Twin Branch Road, the recently completed new frontage road.

Another look north from the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch. With the rigging in place, the deck pours will soon take place.

mgk920

Just a quick 'heads up' here - Yesterday (Friday, 2021-06-04), Big Rig Steve drove I-69 in this area from south to north.  Go to his website for the links to the videos.

Enjoy!   :popcorn:

Mike

sprjus4

Quote from: mgk920 on June 05, 2021, 12:47:47 PM
Just a quick 'heads up' here - Yesterday (Friday, 2021-06-04), Big Rig Steve drove I-69 in this area from south to north.  Go to his website for the links to the videos.

Mike
He only drove it from Evansville to Bloomington. He then cut over to Cloverdale then took I-70 into Indianapolis.

Avalanchez71

The old road had more character.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 05, 2021, 01:57:37 PM
So you prefer driving on US 66 over I-40 through the desert too, because the former have more character?

edwaleni

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 05, 2021, 02:00:17 PM
So you prefer driving on US 66 over I-40 through the desert too, because the former have more character?

Posting for effect. Sometimes called trolling.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 05, 2021, 02:00:17 PM

Most of US 66 has been supplanted by I-40 anyway out in the desert.  I would not want to use the Oatman section as it is substandard to the vehicle of today.

mgk920

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2021, 01:12:44 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 05, 2021, 12:47:47 PM

Mike
He only drove it from Evansville to Bloomington. He then cut over to Cloverdale then took I-70 into Indianapolis.

Probably a good deal on that move.  The part SW of Bloomington was an interesting real-time drive.  Light traffic.

Mike

Interstate 69 Fan

Work progressing well at SR 144, you can see where the NB off-ramp & SB on-ramp are now, and where the bridge will run over I-69. Fast progress, despite all the traffic. Even faster I hear down in Martinsville. Wish I snapped a few photos near 144.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Some interesting tidbits are found in Morgan County's 2019 Thoroughfare Plan, which was adopted July 16, 2019 and is available online.

First and foremost is the plan to transform Henderson Ford Road and Centennial Road into a major N/S corridor, connecting State Road 144 and State Road 252. North of the I-69 interchange, Henderson Ford Road, which will be upgraded to a Major Arterial, will be extended and widened to intersect with SR 144. South of the interchange, Centennial Road, which becomes Henderson Ford Road at Egbert Road, will be extended south to intersect with SR 252. Henderson Ford, in this area, will be reclassified from Local to Major Collector, and Centennial Road, from Local to Minor Collector.

Also in the works are plans to add lanes to State Road 144 between the I-69 interchange and the corporate limits of Mooresville, to the west. Another project is Mann Road, which is to be widened between SR 144 and the county's northern border, with added safety improvements and guardrails. In the northwest sector of the county near Mooresville, a smooth flowing corridor between the industrial park south of Mooresville and I-70 is on the drawing boards. Existing local roads are to be widened and roundabouts built at specified intersections. All of these projects have been classified as near term Level A priority.

Map–Morgan County, Indiana, Level A Priority Road Improvements

Courtesy Morgan County Planning Department/HWC Engineering.

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on June 08, 2021, 02:21:31 AM

Some interesting tidbits are found in Morgan County's 2019 Thoroughfare Plan, which was adopted July 16, 2019 and is available online.

First and foremost is the plan to transform Henderson Ford Road and Centennial Road into a major N/S corridor, connecting State Road 144 and State Road 252. North of the I-69 interchange, Henderson Ford Road, which will be upgraded to a Major Arterial, will be extended and widened to intersect with SR 144. South of the interchange, Centennial Road, which becomes Henderson Ford Road at Egbert Road, will be extended south to intersect with SR 252. Henderson Ford, in this area, will be reclassified from Local to Major Collector, and Centennial Road, from Local to Minor Collector.

Also in the works are plans to add lanes to State Road 144 between the I-69 interchange and the corporate limits of Mooresville, to the west. Another project is Mann Road, which is to be widened between SR 144 and the county's northern border, with added safety improvements and guardrails. In the northwest sector of the county near Mooresville, a smooth flowing corridor between the industrial park south of Mooresville and I-70 is on the drawing boards. Existing local roads are to be widened and roundabouts built at specified intersections. All of these projects have been classified as near term Level A priority.

Map–Morgan County, Indiana, Level A Priority Road Improvements

Courtesy Morgan County Planning Department/HWC Engineering.

When the Ameriplex Parkway Extension is complete to Southport Road, updates to Mann Road will be needed. North Madison Township is already exploding with housing growth in Morgan County, east of Mooresville.

tdindy88

I went on a trip with my father down to Martinsville to see the construction along the highway. It is amazing to see the progress being done on this stretch of highway over the snail's pace on Section 5. I'll leave the pictures to ITB and Finish Line but I had a couple of minor observations from Martinsville that stroke my curiosity.

There's a BGS sign bridge over future I-69 north of the Indian Creek bridges approaching the future SR 39 exit. This was the first time I had seen the actual signs proposed and there does appear to be a change. Exit 138 was planned for Ohio Street and Mahalsville Road but the actual sign marks the second control as Artesian Avenue, which is part of the new outer roadways on the eastern fringe of Martinsville. I guess the way the roads are being designed in that area Artesian Avenue will begin at the I-69 interchange and Mahalsville Road will start a little further down off of Artesian.

Second, we had to make a pit stop at the McDonalds off of Burton Lane in Martinsville and my dad was commenting on how it was an older looking McDonalds. Sure enough when we drove down SR 39 past the intersection with the road that leads east into the shopping center that features McDonalds there's construction going on in the northeast corner for a new McDonalds. This makes a lot of sense since SR 39 will be a more prominent exit off of I-69 with Burton Lane being cut off completely. Across the road from the new McDonalds appears to be a new Taco Bell likely replacing the existing one off of Southview Drive and Burton Lane. This makes me wonder if more development is likely along SR 39 to the immediate north of the I-69 interchange as that will prove to be a major gateway into the community.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 20, 2021, 02:44:25 AM
I went on a trip with my father down to Martinsville to see the construction along the highway. It is amazing to see the progress being done on this stretch of highway over the snail's pace on Section 5. I'll leave the pictures to ITB and Finish Line but I had a couple of minor observations from Martinsville that stroke my curiosity.

There's a BGS sign bridge over future I-69 north of the Indian Creek bridges approaching the future SR 39 exit. This was the first time I had seen the actual signs proposed and there does appear to be a change. Exit 138 was planned for Ohio Street and Mahalsville Road but the actual sign marks the second control as Artesian Avenue, which is part of the new outer roadways on the eastern fringe of Martinsville. I guess the way the roads are being designed in that area Artesian Avenue will begin at the I-69 interchange and Mahalsville Road will start a little further down off of Artesian.

Second, we had to make a pit stop at the McDonalds off of Burton Lane in Martinsville and my dad was commenting on how it was an older looking McDonalds. Sure enough when we drove down SR 39 past the intersection with the road that leads east into the shopping center that features McDonalds there's construction going on in the northeast corner for a new McDonalds. This makes a lot of sense since SR 39 will be a more prominent exit off of I-69 with Burton Lane being cut off completely. Across the road from the new McDonalds appears to be a new Taco Bell likely replacing the existing one off of Southview Drive and Burton Lane. This makes me wonder if more development is likely along SR 39 to the immediate north of the I-69 interchange as that will prove to be a major gateway into the community.
You just answered a question for me.  I was wondering what some of those businesses (especially McDonald's) was going to do since it wasn't going to be an easy off/easy on situation with their access to what will be formerly IN 37 is going to be closed off without overpass or interchange.  Build a new building!  Hopefully for my son's benefit, Sgt Pepper's chicken will still be in business in the adjacent old shopping center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.