News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 10, 2018, 01:45:16 PM
Now, to answer your next question...when will a 3rd lane be built? I don't know of any plans right now. Both DelDOT and the DRBA will have areas of jurisdiction for such a project.

DelDOT appears to have a project for NB I-295 in the pipeline, the current schedule doesn't have preliminary engineering starting until FY23 though.

Too early to tell what the goals are, one can only hope it entails capacity expansion.
👉😎👉

davewiecking

^^(Love the way I-295 is either northbound or westbound.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: davewiecking on November 10, 2018, 08:45:51 PM
^^(Love the way I-295 is either northbound or westbound.)

Westbound/Eastbound is definitely more appropriate for Delaware's portion of 295!

A little more sluthing on DelDOT's website brought me to this: https://deldot.gov/Publications/reports/CTP/pdfs/ProposedFY20-FY25CTPProjectImplementation.pdf .  Page 5 of 6 of the pdf shows 295 North PE (Preliminiary Engineering) work budgeted for FY23 & FY24; ROW (Right of Way) purchasing in FY25.  The ROW definitely hints at a roadway widening.

MASTERNC

As of today, the 141 reconstruction project west of Wilmington will be (mostly) done.

https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=7400

Tonytone

They have removed the Zipper Construction Barriers on I-95 NB @ the 141 exits. I assumed repaving started tonight. 

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Delaware 95 NB is backed up all the way to the Service center.

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on November 21, 2018, 06:59:42 PM
It's the day before Thanksgiving, I'm not surprised at all.  I remember a few years ago it took me 30 minutes to get from the middle of the Delaware Memorial Bridge to I-295/DE-9 on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 21, 2018, 08:43:10 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 21, 2018, 06:59:42 PM
It's the day before Thanksgiving, I'm not surprised at all.  I remember a few years ago it took me 30 minutes to get from the middle of the Delaware Memorial Bridge to I-295/DE-9 on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
295 just needs fly over ramps. Push that traffic to 295 like they did De 1.

iPhone

Tonytone

Alex4897

It appears an alternative has been chosen by DelDOT for the I-95 / DE 896 interchange improvements:

Project Website

Selected Alternative
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 30, 2018, 05:24:19 PM
It appears an alternative has been chosen by DelDOT for the I-95 / DE 896 interchange improvements:

Project Website

Selected Alternative
Thats the best choice, it will eliminate many problems with that area.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 30, 2018, 05:55:17 PM

Project Website

Selected Alternative

iPhone

I agree with the Ramp C (95 South to 896 South). 

However, look at 896 South thru the interchange area.  It's actually reduced to one lane, seemingly for no reason as there's still room for 2 lanes.  Coming from Newark, the right lane becomes an exit only lane for 95 South; a ramp not often used because you immediately hit the $4 toll plaza.  The ramp from 896 South to 95 North also seems to be greatly exaggerated...when the current ramp from 95 South to 896 South is removed, they won't have the weaving movement that currently exists.  The new 95 North to 896 Ramp seems to ride the current path of that ramp, but it really doesn't need to change from its current position.  The new 95 South to 896 South ramp can use a retaining wall to reduce the footprint (ie: the 95 North to 1/7 North Ramp at Interchange 4).

896 North is also reduced to 1 lane momentarily where the ramp departs for 95 North. 

Overall, the flyover ramp from 95 South to 896 South is by far the best and most needed part of this interchange.  However, what they're doing to thru traffic on 896 is numbing, and will cause congestion and last-second merging issues.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2018, 07:29:16 PM

Project Website

Selected Alternative

iPhone

However, look at 896 South thru the interchange area.  It's actually reduced to one lane, seemingly for no reason as there's still room for 2 lanes.  Coming from Newark, the right lane becomes an exit only lane for 95 South; a ramp not often used because you immediately hit the $4 toll plaza.  The ramp from 896 South to 95 North also seems to be greatly exaggerated...when the current ramp from 95 South to 896 South is removed, they won't have the weaving movement that currently exists.  The new 95 North to 896 Ramp seems to ride the current path of that ramp, but it really doesn't need to change from its current position.  The new 95 South to 896 South ramp can use a retaining wall to reduce the footprint (ie: the 95 North to 1/7 North Ramp at Interchange 4).

896 North is also reduced to 1 lane momentarily where the ramp departs for 95 North. 

Overall, the flyover ramp from 95 South to 896 South is by far the best and most needed part of this interchange.  However, what they're doing to thru traffic on 896 is numbing, and will cause congestion and last-second merging issues.
I think they did that jeff, because from experience of driving thru the area, more traffic  comes off the ramps & that causes more slowdown then thru traffic. When they redid the 13/141 bridge, they cut off the To 141 two lanes & turned into 1 lane, while giving merging 13 southbound to 141 on ramp a lane, this greatly reduced accidents/merging areas & backups on both 141 & 13, even though its one lane, it seems one lane of traffic moves faster then two lanes & a merging ramp. So it might help the area more, but I do see what you're saying, 2 lanes is really needed in that area.

iPhone

briantroutman

Sorry to break in on the DE 896 interchange conversation, but I have a question regarding the service area...

I was at the I-95 service area a few days ago (now renamed the "Biden Welcome Center" ) and noticed that the old Delaware Turnpike toll booth sitting outside the building has been removed. Anyone know when it was removed, why, or where it went?

Roadsguy

Is it just me, or has DelDOT never truly given up on the original US 301 expressway plan and has instead decided to take the DE 1 approach for 896, slowly upgrading it one intersection at a time?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 30, 2018, 08:41:27 PM
Is it just me, or has DelDOT never truly given up on the original US 301 expressway plan and has instead decided to take the DE 1 approach for 896, slowly upgrading it one intersection at a time?
Wow roadsguy, I never thought of it like that, maybe in the end 896 will be a full highway & De-1 will be completed by turning De-7 into De-1.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2018, 07:29:16 PM

Project Website

Selected Alternative

iPhone

From my experience, the ramps siphon a significant amount of traffic off of 896 at any time of day, they're almost certainly busier than the mainline 896 lanes. Giving the ramps off of I-95 SB priority is definitely going to work out better. As for the lightly traveled 896 SB to I-95 SB ramp, that lane's primary function is going to be to serve the ramp that heads to I-95 NB instead just upstream, not the I-95 SB exit. They effectively did a dry run of this layout when they rehabilitated the 896 bridges a couple years and knocked it down to one thru lane in each direction, aside from the horrendous SB weave thru traffic flowed just fine.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Someone hit the BGS On 1-95 SB at this https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6933964,-75.6267418,3a,75y,243.37h,96.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7-cvE_G8TJ1jMR7f5lS-ow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 Location, in the 4th lane, I wonder what happened, because the one right before the DE-1 Flyover-ramps are not affected.

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on December 15, 2018, 02:02:15 PM
Someone hit the BGS On 1-95 SB at this https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6933964,-75.6267418,3a,75y,243.37h,96.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7-cvE_G8TJ1jMR7f5lS-ow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 Location, in the 4th lane, I wonder what happened, because the one right before the DE-1 Flyover-ramps are not affected.
You can report damages to DelDOT using this form: https://www.deldot.gov/Traffic/ReportRoadCondition/index.shtml
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Interesting story, on what happened to the original Saint gorges bridge, (Link inside of story about current bridge construction)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.delawareonline.com/amp/2541667002

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on January 13, 2019, 11:01:16 PM
Interesting story, on what happened to the original Saint gorges bridge, (Link inside of story about current bridge construction)

iPhone

Delawarians are very fortunate that bridge is still open and Delaware is spending money on it.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 14, 2019, 06:13:29 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on January 13, 2019, 11:01:16 PM

iPhone

Delawarians are very fortunate that bridge is still open and Delaware is spending money on it.
I agree that could have easily tore that bridge down & created ANOTHER park.

iPhone

seicer

Eyeroll. But at 77 years old, the bridge will be facing a replacement or major rehabilitation option in 30 years, and with it carrying so little traffic, I don't see it being replaced. It's very expensive to build a bridge over the canal because of its height and span length, and if you are serving 11,300 vehicles per day (2016), could traffic simply be diverted to SR 1 or SR 9? At its current configuration, it carries one car lane and a protected bike lane in each direction.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on January 14, 2019, 10:20:55 AM
Eyeroll. But at 77 years old, the bridge will be facing a replacement or major rehabilitation option in 30 years, and with it carrying so little traffic, I don't see it being replaced. It's very expensive to build a bridge over the canal because of its height and span length, and if you are serving 11,300 vehicles per day (2016), could traffic simply be diverted to SR 1 or SR 9? At its current configuration, it carries one car lane and a protected bike lane in each direction.
Is the Sr9 Bridge the same age? How about the summit bridge? If they close the St.Georges bridge, that will cause traffic on the 1 to double, just like they said. They will have to restrip De-1 to 4 lanes all the way to the merge & then it will have to be 3 lanes all the way to 95.

Im pretty sure all the bridges in the area will have to get rehabbed in 30 years. The De-1 bridge probably has 100 years to go.

iPhone

froggie

Quote from: TonytoneIs the Sr9 Bridge the same age? How about the summit bridge?

No.  Route 9 bridge was built in 1968, 26 years after the St. Georges Bridge.  Summit Bridge is also newer than St. Georges...built in 1960.

QuoteIf they close the St.Georges bridge, that will cause traffic on the 1 to double, just like they said.

First off, WHO said?

Second, traffic volume on the St. Georges Bridge is just over 11K.  Volume on the Route 1 bridge is around 90K.  Even if all of the St. Georges traffic shifted to the Route 1 bridge, that is not even close to a "doubling of traffic".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.