News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 253

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 13, 2020, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Continuing with the series of Northern California State Highways this week we look into the history of CA 253.  CA 253 has a surprisingly old origin as the Anderson Valley Trail which opened in 1851.  The Anderson Valley Trail became the Gsehwind Toll Road in 1868 and was converted primarily to a lumber road.  The Gsehwind Toll Road was added to the Mendocino County inventory of roads in 1896 as Boonville-Ukiah Road which led to some improvements to better facilitate travel.  In 1952 Boonville-Ukiah Road was upgraded with Federal Aid Secondary funds which modernized the highway.  CA 253 was added to the State Highway System in 1963 but was originally was planned for a new alignment north of Boonville-Ukiah Road.  The plans for a new alignment for CA 253 were dropped and Boonville-Ukiah Road was turned over to the State upon completion of improvement contracts in March 1966.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/08/california-state-route-253.html

kkt

Nice historical essay!  I drove CA 253 for the first and only time about four years ago.  Heading north after a tiring trip to the Bay Area, I stopped at Gowan's Oak Tree near Philo.  253 was a fun new way to go back in the direction of I-5 north.  Gowan's Oak Tree has perhaps the best apple cider anywhere, and 253 was very pretty, almost no traffic, and lots of curves.  Fun to drive.

Max Rockatansky

I went back and updated the blog on the original post with an entirely new photo set I took in January.  My wife and I doubled up CA 253 with almost all of CA 128 for a full day of back road driving. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.