News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent pics - Riverside/San Bernardino, CA and vicinity

Started by M3100, November 01, 2020, 06:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

Last month I filled in some of the "gaps" in my Travel Map (clinching California SR 210, for one).  Here are some pics, all from 10-23-20.

1. Eastbound on SR 60, approaching Mission Blvd., which is Business Route 60.  I saw no Route 60 shields anywhere on Mission Blvd.

2. Historic US 395 is well signed in downtown Riverside; here is one of the shields:

3. Driving north on Riverside Ave. (a continuation of Main St.) to Rialto, this CA 66 sign is at the intersection with Foothill Blvd.  This sign was also noted by another poster in the California SR 83 thread.

4. This California SR 66 shield appear near the eastern endpoint of that route (5th Street), seen from the bridge over I-215 and the BNSF tracks.

5. This shows an interchange sequence sign on northbound I-215, with 5th St identified as SR 66.

6. Heading north on I-215, the middle sign on the gantry shows SR 210 "To" other routes; this is via a now-unnumbered connector between I-215 and SR 210.  My 2008 Thomas Guide shows this connector as SR 259; there are no shields with this number however the post miles do list it.  Note also the 'Baseline' exit.

7. Heading east on SR 210; note the 'Base Line' spelling.  When I lived out that way the street name was spelled as two words; modern maps all spell it as one word.

8. Heading north on Waterman Ave. at SR 210; this is where SR 18 starts. Note the variety of shield sizes and modified signs; evidently Pasadena was added as a control city when SR 210 was opened in this area.

9. Heading back west on SR 210; this exit signs spells out 'Baseline'.

10. Further west on SR 210; the BGS on the right includes SR 71.  There were no other references to SR 71 (on SR 210) leading up to the SR 57 interchange.

Max Rockatansky

That first CA 66 shield is an older variant to boot.  It's kind of hard to tell from my phone but it looks like a reflective paint type given the fade color. 

Those retro reflective BGS shields on Waterman/CA 18 are hideous.  I noticed them when I did all of CA 18 last year. 

ClassicHasClass

Yup, that's the 66 I saw in Rialto.

Mission Blvd has a couple 60 shields still around. I believe there's still one in Rubidoux.

You are correct, the connector road from I-215 to CA 210 is CA 259. It was even signed briefly:
http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/30-18-259/u1/#sec_52

No two signs in the Inland Empire agree on the spelling of Baseline, Base Line, Baseline Rd, Base Line Street, ...

heynow415

Sure, I'm being weird but in the last image the signage made me chuckle in that it seems one should take the Two-10 to Pasadena but the To-10 to the 71. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming . . .

jdbx

Great pictures, lots of examples of the good, the bad, and the ugly with regards to signage and shields. I see they couldn't even be bothered to level that Baseline Rd sign that is hanging on the inclined overpass.

Occidental Tourist

sparker

Nice pix; noticed that EB 210 in San Bernardino is being widened; perhaps once that is completed, D8 and Caltrans (as a whole) might consider requesting Interstate status for the remainder of 210 east of CA 57; the area in the picture was in the middle of one of the substandard (inside shoulders) segments, dating from the late '60's/early '70's (when I was a student at UCR).  The 1992-opened section east of the Highland Ave. interchange was completed to I-standards, although only 4 overall lanes, including the Santa Ana River bridges, until San Bernardino Avenue just north of the route terminus at I-10 in Redlands. 

M3100

Quote from: sparker on November 07, 2020, 01:42:03 AM
noticed that EB 210 in San Bernardino is being widened

Yes, on the day I drove through there were construction crews at work further west of the pic location.  As I drove that route in each direction, a CHP cruiser ran a "traffic break", though I don't think it was for debris cleanup; I think it was to allow some of the construction equipment to leave the work space in the median.

djsekani

Quote from: M3100 on November 01, 2020, 06:03:49 PM

8. Heading north on Waterman Ave. at SR 210; this is where SR 18 starts. Note the variety of shield sizes and modified signs; evidently Pasadena was added as a control city when SR 210 was opened in this area.

The Pasadena control here is fairly recent; it was Los Angeles up until about a year ago.

ClassicHasClass

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.