News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California-style freeway entrance signage makes its way to Oregon

Started by xonhulu, August 29, 2010, 06:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Imagine my surprise when, while getting on I-5 at Kuebler Blvd in Salem, I spot this new signage on the onramp to northbound:

I know this is common in California, but it's the first time I've seen it in Oregon.  Any other states sign onramps like this?

agentsteel53

I've seen it done in Arizona as well.

now, Oregon just needs to put up some California-style state-named shields!  :pan:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Washington uses them (the freeway entrance signs, not state-named shields).

Oregon using these is a shock.

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2010, 06:58:27 PM
I've seen it done in Arizona as well.

now, Oregon just needs to put up some California-style state-named shields!  :pan:

I'd go for some California-style cut-out US Highway shields in Oregon, too!

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on August 29, 2010, 08:37:44 PM

they were used from 1961-1971 or so.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2010, 09:16:15 PM
they were used from 1961-1971 or so.

Yeah, I remember seeing them as a kid.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall them being very widespread; I mostly remember the '48 spec shields (and, no, not the exact one below -- I'm not that old!):

agentsteel53

yep, the '48s were around (in various sizes - 16x16, 18x18, 24x24, 36x36) for many years, as late as 1973.  the US-only shields were a minor variant that lasted only a few years.

jake@aaroads.com

luokou

It's about time they used freeway entrance signs as such. Any excuse to see more route shields being used is good enough for me!

Quote from: xonhulu on August 29, 2010, 08:37:44 PM

Now if only the state route shields would return to the cut-out status as well...

agentsteel53

Quote from: luokou on August 30, 2010, 03:47:47 PM

Now if only the state route shields would return to the cut-out status as well...

even if they didn't, I wish they would restore the eagle.  the alien head just looks stupid.  Michael Summa once made a mockup with the eagle on a black square and it looked very very good.  I need to put that on the internet.

jake@aaroads.com

Stephane Dumas

I'm not sure but I think then some of the NYC parkways in Long Island got a "parkway entrance" a bit inspired by the CA freeway signage.

Alps

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 30, 2010, 05:00:36 PM
I'm not sure but I think then some of the NYC parkways in Long Island got a "parkway entrance" a bit inspired by the CA freeway signage.
Not the same style.  They share the downward-pointing right arrow, but it's just underneath a standard Parkway shield assembly.

KEK Inc.

There's a pretty old FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign on the Banfield. 

As stated, Washington does use FREEWAY ENTRANCE signs, but they generally don't include any shield at all, mainly because it's extremely redundant.  For routes that aren't exactly freeways, they use EXPRESSWAY or HIGHWAY.   Idaho uses them, I think.   

Nevada and Arizona use similar road hardware as California, so it's sort of expected that there are some similarities in their signing practices.  Arizona uses more MUTCD legal exit tabs; however, both Arizona and Nevada neuter and black-box their shields.

Has anyone seen the on-ramp from Exit 8 on WA-16?  I'm curious how Washington deals with tolled roads...   Here's how California does it (without the black pricing tags):

Take the road less traveled.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 30, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
Not the same style.  They share the downward-pointing right arrow, but it's just underneath a standard Parkway shield assembly.

The NJTP has (had?) one on the NJ-18 north ramp, just the trailblazer with the downward pointing arrow.

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2010, 03:51:07 PM
Quote from: luokou on August 30, 2010, 03:47:47 PM

even if they didn't, I wish they would restore the eagle.  the alien head just looks stupid.  Michael Summa once made a mockup with the eagle on a black square and it looked very very good.  I need to put that on the internet.
I'd be interested in seeing that.

xonhulu

Bickendan

xonhulu

Bickendan

I await its inclusion into the shield generator with baited breath. And I'm toying with the idea of seeing what ODOT thinks of it...

KEK Inc.

That sign is really cool, but I still prefer a cut-out.

Using the picture in that thread, I tried to put it in a BGS: 

xonhulu

Now that looks seriously cool on a BGS, a big improvement on the "alien head."  Good job making those.

Now, if I had the say in the matter, I would favor the return to the classic eagle shield most of all:

But failing that, I would either favor Michael Summa's design as a 2nd choice, or go to cutout versions of the current shields as the third option:

Hey, anybody with more graphics talent than me (which would probably be anybody) want to come up with a 3-digit version of the classic eagle shield?  I have always wanted to see that!

TheStranger

xonhulu: My thinking for how the classic eagle would work on a BGS - simply, the "alien head" but with an eagle up high, and the numbers below it (no state name to save space).  The all-white-with-eagle-outline is intriguing but I find that it makes the top look a little strange compared to the classic shield.
Chris Sampang

xonhulu

That's my thinking too, but I'd want to see how it looks both with and without the state name.

TheStranger

Quote from: xonhulu on September 04, 2010, 03:46:38 PM
That's my thinking too, but I'd want to see how it looks both with and without the state name.

I do know that in California, it's much more common to see the spade-shield on overhead green signs without the state name, but every once in a while, a regular state-named trailblazer WILL pop up there as a quick installation.  (Same deal applies for Interstate shields out here)

Maybe have the state name in smaller letters for BGS use?
Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

Eh, I support neutered shields on BGS.  It's too busy if you put anything other than Interstate on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.