News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gauging interest for New Haven/Connecticut River Valley meet

Started by dgolub, November 08, 2015, 09:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

There have been a bunch of recent changes in New Haven that are making me think that it could be a good area for a meet some time next year.  They include the removal of the Oak Street Connector (CT 34), the completion of the Q Bridge reconstruction, and the realignment of the exits for CT 10 on the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95).  Since these are all very close together, we would then have time to head out to the Connecticut River Valley and check out some of the bridges in the area, including the causeway on CT 154, the swing bridge on CT 82, and the Arrigoni Bridge (CT 17/CT 66).  If time were to permit, we could come back via the mountain tunnel on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT 15) or the Mount Carmel Connector (CT 40), which is an expressway to nowhere with cliffs.  Who's interested?

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

signalman

I'd be interested in attending.  I haven't done much off-freeway exploring in Connecticut.  Was there any particular month next year that you were considering hosting this meet?  Or is it too early in the planning stages for that?

vdeane

Awesome.  Might I suggest July or later?  The spring season is pretty full already.

It's a day trip for me, and one that would allow me to clinch a good chunk of the remaining CT interstates too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on November 08, 2015, 02:08:23 PM
Awesome.  Might I suggest July or later?  The spring season is pretty full already.

It's a day trip for me, and one that would allow me to clinch a good chunk of the remaining CT interstates too.

Yes, I was figuring as much since it sounds like Central PA and Corridor H will be in the spring.  I also want to make sure that I don't conflict with your Albany meet, since I'm planning to come to that one as well.  That's still TBD, right?

Duke87

Has there ever been a road meet focused around the removal of a freeway before? Maybe we should hold a funeral for it. :P

Also, I didn't drive down it to fully confirm, but when I was in New Haven a few weeks ago, the one lane ramp through the former freeway bed leading to the air rights garage was intact and had no barriers blocking it or "authorized vehicles only" signs. We knew from the plans that this access was going to be preserved but I wasn't expecting it to be open to the public. If it is, definitely worth checking out, but would need to be scoped out in advance.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on November 08, 2015, 08:20:05 PM
Has there ever been a road meet focused around the removal of a freeway before? Maybe we should hold a funeral for it. :P

ConnDOT natan, ConnDOT lakach, yehi shem ConnDOT mevorach.
ConnDOT has given, ConnDOT has taken, the name of ConnDOT will be blessed.

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kurumi

ANTONY
Friends, New Haveners, Yankees;
I come to bury* Route 34, not to praise it.
The evil that men** do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones.
So let it be with Route 34.

* not a Big Dig
** Richard C. Lee, mainly
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on November 08, 2015, 08:20:05 PM

Also, I didn't drive down it to fully confirm, but when I was in New Haven a few weeks ago, the one lane ramp through the former freeway bed leading to the air rights garage was intact and had no barriers blocking it or "authorized vehicles only" signs. We knew from the plans that this access was going to be preserved but I wasn't expecting it to be open to the public. If it is, definitely worth checking out, but would need to be scoped out in advance.
Hard to tell from street view, but cars do need to get into the garage, right?

Honestly, if you're keeping the freeway, what was the point of forcing more traffic onto the frontage roads?  If you're not making it an urban boulevard, seems like they're just lowering the LOS at the signals for the heck of it.

Quote from: dgolub on November 08, 2015, 07:49:44 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 08, 2015, 02:08:23 PM

Yes, I was figuring as much since it sounds like Central PA and Corridor H will be in the spring.  I also want to make sure that I don't conflict with your Albany meet, since I'm planning to come to that one as well.  That's still TBD, right?
Most likely date is in the September-October range for that.  I'm not gonna rush to schedule it when nearly everyone else is content to hound spring.  The only other non-spring meet I know of is Duluth, so the calendar is wide open.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

And my Central PA date is most likely going to be Saturday April 9, been very busy lately but plan to set up the facebook event soon, probably the end of the month when I will be in central PA doing some scouting.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2015, 12:59:16 PM
Hard to tell from street view, but cars do need to get into the garage, right?

There are entrances to the garage from the street. Or at least, the main part of it. Somewhere back in the 1990s the city decided to take the unused freeway stub underneath the garage and turn it into more parking, but these spaces were only open to "authorized vehicles". AFAIK there is no connection within the garage from the main parking levels to the freeway bed that was never intended to be part of it. It was only accessible from the end of the CT 34 connector. If the freeway were totally removed with no provision for maintaining this access, the space underneath the garage could no longer be used for parking... or for much of anything, really.

QuoteHonestly, if you're keeping the freeway, what was the point of forcing more traffic onto the frontage roads?  If you're not making it an urban boulevard, seems like they're just lowering the LOS at the signals for the heck of it.

That is a very good question and one which I had posed as well back when this was revealed.

One practical reason is that for the developers building buildings on the land, it is easier for them to accommodate a pair of single lane roadways underneath than for them to accommodate a full width highway and exit ramps.

Beyond that, though, it's a simple question of the fact that the city of New Haven is not looking at this from the perspective of "how can we most effectively move the most cars at the highest speed". They are looking at it from the perspective of "how can we make this a vibrant and thriving neighborhood". For that, more traffic on the frontage roads is exactly what the city of New Haven wants. People won't see a place as hip and happening if the streets are relatively empty with what cars there are whizzing by at high speed, they will see it has hip and happening if the streets are crowded and traffic is slow. Furthermore, extra traffic on the streets is good for local businesses since it functions as advertising for them when drivers see their storefronts - this benefit is not realized if drivers get to speed through on a highway and ignore what's on either side of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: kurumi on November 09, 2015, 11:18:00 AM
ANTONY
Friends, New Haveners, Yankees;
I come to bury* Route 34, not to praise it.
The evil that men** do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones.
So let it be with Route 34.

* not a Big Dig
** Richard C. Lee, mainly

Nice!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.