News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILRoad55

Sounds awesome.

I did the 355 event when I was a kid. My father and I walked across the Des Plaines River Bridge, it was freezing cold that day but I enjoyed it.

edwaleni

Quote from: edwaleni on August 12, 2017, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: I-39 on August 12, 2017, 08:34:43 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 06:05:38 PM
Quote from: I-39 on January 10, 2017, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 08, 2017, 12:43:15 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on January 07, 2017, 08:06:57 PM
I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

IL-390/US-20 was designed to have CFR go over it with a urban style exit layout. That is why IDOT didn't amass any excess dirt at the end like they typically do.  The plan was to trench 2 ponds on each side of CFR to supply fill for the rise over.  If and when they decide to extend it, they will probably use the same idea.  Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

As you can see IDOT not having any money was a killer when the parcel in black was sold to the local school district.

I don't believe there was ever a plan to buy that property. The EOE was suppose to follow the existing US 20 west of North Ave, and it wasn't going to be full access control, more of a parkway-style with a mixture of at-grades and grade separations.

Yes, in the FAP-6 Environmental Review Report, there are notes about a meeting with the City of Bartlett officials on the extension of Bartlett Road south of the current US20 and work an intersection with Oak Street (now Oak Lane) due to a high accident rate at Oak Street (Lane) and US 20. There were also concerns that the then Eastview Junior High (now Bartlett Middle School) was going to be too close to the ROW even though there were no frontage roads planned. They had already decided a cloverleaf was impractical and a diamond would have to be used. 

This was in 1971/1972. When Eastview was expanded north by the Bartlett School District in the 1980's, they took up the buffer space the ROW expected to acquire and today IDOT would have to condemn all the retail property between the school and US20 to make it work.

Here is a closer view of the Elgin-O'Hare/Bartlett Road Exit was supposed to look like.

The light blue is the ROW
The green line is IDOT owned property
The purple lines are proposed water retention ponds
The redline was the proposed Bartlett Road to Oak Lane extension with the diamond ramps.
It also shows how Oak Lane was going to dead end into a circle drive for the school and north of the EOH it would be a service road for the retail strip center.
The dotted light yellow shows what happened when the school expanded north.

The EOH was supposed to go below grade between US20 on the right all the way past the school to keep road noise down and then rise as it meets Bartlett Road and then move north back to the current US20 alignment.

\

You can even see where IDOT bought land from the developer across Oak Lane from the Junior High. The grading for the streets and cul-de-sac are still visible.

ET21

Took a look at the 390/290 interchange for the first time in probably a year. Looks awesome
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Seems to me that they'll keep it IL 390 until I-490 is completed around the west side of O'Hare, and I will bet that I-390 signs will go up in Chicagoland before I-394's do!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Quote from: Henry on September 28, 2017, 09:43:45 AM
Seems to me that they'll keep it IL 390 until I-490 is completed around the west side of O'Hare, and I will bet that I-390 signs will go up in Chicagoland before I-394's do!

Funny thing is they waste all this money for the IL-390 signs, only to put up I-390 signs when it gets ratified. 390 signs I've seen on 290, 90, even 355 and most of the local roads will need to be replaced.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

I doubt IL-390 will ever be an interstate, just like IL-394 will never be. Interstate 88 was once IL-190 (and later IL-5), Interstate 90 between Interstate 290 and Interstate 94 was IL-194 until 1978 (and Interstate 190 was IL-594), neither of which were likely intended as Interstate 194 or Interstate 594.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on September 27, 2017, 10:22:26 PM
I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

IL-390/US-20 was designed to have CFR go over it with a urban style exit layout. That is why IDOT didn't amass any excess dirt at the end like they typically do.  The plan was to trench 2 ponds on each side of CFR to supply fill for the rise over.  If and when they decide to extend it, they will probably use the same idea.  Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

As you can see IDOT not having any money was a killer when the parcel in black was sold to the local school district.

I don't believe there was ever a plan to buy that property. The EOE was suppose to follow the existing US 20 west of North Ave, and it wasn't going to be full access control, more of a parkway-style with a mixture of at-grades and grade separations.

Yes, in the FAP-6 Environmental Review Report, there are notes about a meeting with the City of Bartlett officials on the extension of Bartlett Road south of the current US20 and work an intersection with Oak Street (now Oak Lane) due to a high accident rate at Oak Street (Lane) and US 20. There were also concerns that the then Eastview Junior High (now Bartlett Middle School) was going to be too close to the ROW even though there were no frontage roads planned. They had already decided a cloverleaf was impractical and a diamond would have to be used. 

This was in 1971/1972. When Eastview was expanded north by the Bartlett School District in the 1980's, they took up the buffer space the ROW expected to acquire and today IDOT would have to condemn all the retail property between the school and US20 to make it work.

Here is a closer view of the Elgin-O'Hare/Bartlett Road Exit was supposed to look like.

The redline was the proposed Bartlett Road to Oak Lane extension with the diamond ramps.
It also shows how Oak Lane was going to dead end into a circle drive for the school and north of the EOH it would be a service road for the retail strip center.

The EOH was supposed to go below grade between US20 on the right all the way past the school to keep road noise down and then rise as it meets Bartlett Road and then move north back to the current US20 alignment.

\

You can even see where IDOT bought land from the developer across Oak Lane from the Junior High. The grading for the streets and cul-de-sac are still visible.

Those plans must have been pre-1980s, as the last plans did not have the EOE as a freeway west of North Ave.

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on September 28, 2017, 07:57:48 PM

\

Those plans must have been pre-1980s, as the last plans did not have the EOE as a freeway west of North Ave.

1971-1973

dave069

Does the tollway have any plans to increase the speed limit above 55 when the road is done?

inkyatari

\

More current plans call for this to be a parkway of some sort.

WTF is with all the parkways these days? They won't help at all. Not at least in this situation, nor in the IL-53 extension plans.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: inkyatari on October 06, 2017, 10:08:19 AM

\

WTF is with all the parkways these days? They won't help at all. Not at least in this situation, nor in the IL-53 extension plans.
if trump can kill the EPA then this parkway shit can go away. The tollway has the funds to do a real IL-53 tollway.

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 06, 2017, 12:25:36 PM

if trump can kill the EPA then this parkway shit can go away. The tollway has the funds to do a real IL-53 tollway.

The problem isn't the USEPA, it's Long Fucking Grove and Hawthorn Fucking Woods.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Finrod

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2017, 09:46:10 PM

The problem isn't the USEPA, it's Long Fucking Grove and Hawthorn Fucking Woods.

Agreed.  My ex-father-in-law lives in Long Grove and he would actually like to see SR 53 extended, but the vast majority in Long Grove are the NIMBY types that are so proud of their covered bridge (which made me laugh, because Parke County, Indiana has something like 20 of them) and don't give a flying leap that traffic around them is getting worse every year.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tribar

Signs on the EOE indicate that cashless tolling will begin Nov 1.  I'm assuming this is when the new section will open up.

I-39

Quote from: Finrod on October 08, 2017, 03:11:01 PM

Agreed.  My ex-father-in-law lives in Long Grove and he would actually like to see SR 53 extended, but the vast majority in Long Grove are the NIMBY types that are so proud of their covered bridge (which made me laugh, because Parke County, Indiana has something like 20 of them) and don't give a flying leap that traffic around them is getting worse every year.

I don't think IL-53 will ever be extended, it has been dragged out too long and the costs keep rising. I have given up hope on it happening.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on October 08, 2017, 03:56:42 PM
Signs on the EOE indicate that cashless tolling will begin Nov 1.  I'm assuming this is when the new section will open up.
event on 28 and 29-31 as free days? I think they would want it open Monday morning

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on October 08, 2017, 04:52:00 PM

I don't think IL-53 will ever be extended, it has been dragged out too long and the costs keep rising. I have given up hope on it happening.

I think it will get extended sooner rather than later. Once this generation from Long Grove and Hawthorne Woods dies off, the newer generation will want this damn road built.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 09, 2017, 07:49:36 AM

I think it will get extended sooner rather than later. Once this generation from Long Grove and Hawthorne Woods dies off, the newer generation will want this damn road built.
and it be may better then a mass upgrade to us-12

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 09, 2017, 07:49:36 AM

No, the millennial generation wants more mass transit and sustainable development. They don't want more roads like IL-53. I'm sorry to say, but I really think it's dead in the water.

KeithE4Phx

Good grief, are they still sniveling over this?  It's been close to 40 years now, if not more.  I remember both towns fighting this when I moved to Palatine in 1979!  :no:  :crazy: :rolleyes:  :wow: :pan:
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Brandon

Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2017, 08:54:38 PM
No, the millennial generation wants more mass transit and sustainable development. They don't want more roads like IL-53. I'm sorry to say, but I really think it's dead in the water.

That's the biggest bunch of horse shit I've seen in a while.  Certain people in the media love to push it, but it doesn't pan out in reality.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2017, 09:18:15 PM

That's the biggest bunch of horse shit I've seen in a while.  Certain people in the media love to push it, but it doesn't pan out in reality.

Not saying I agree with it, but there is some truth behind that. Why do you think companies are moving to big cities and there is more and more push for "liveable" communities (i.e, with lots of pedestrian-friendly streets, bike paths, walking distance to stores, etc).

I'm not saying I don't think IL-53 is needed, I definitely think it's needed, but unless there is a drastic change of attitude soon, I don't think it will happen.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2017, 10:02:34 PM

Not saying I agree with it, but there is some truth behind that. Why do you think companies are moving to big cities and there is more and more push for "liveable" communities (i.e, with lots of pedestrian-friendly streets, bike paths, walking distance to stores, etc).

I'm not saying I don't think IL-53 is needed, I definitely think it's needed, but unless there is a drastic change of attitude soon, I don't think it will happen.

Your logic is flawed. No millineal in their damn mind would want to live in Long Grove let alone afford it.

quickshade

They can fight over it all they want, and i'm all for more mass transit options, but until we get mass transit systems that not only work, but don't cost an arm and a leg and can't ever seem to run on time it won't happen. People hate being stuck and not in control of the situation when it happens and thats why mass transit hasn't taken off in this country like in others. We like the freedom of being in control of our own car. Japan has an excellent transit system that would be great for here but until we clear out Madigan, the cook county board and a few other problems we have it'll never happen. 53 does need to happen, and it is only a matter of time before it does.

NWI_Irish96

I'm currently looking out my office window at the headquarters of the world's second largest private employer, which is in the process of a move from Oak Brook to the West Loop primarily because they are having trouble getting millenials to work in Oak Brook.  Places that aren't close to good mass transit options (the lot of Pace buses criss-crossing Oak Brook doesn't really count), are going to have trouble attracting top companies.

Now, I'm fairly certain that other companies will come in and fill the voids in places like Oak Brook, and there will still be enough traffic to justify the EOT, the Tri-State expansion, and the Route 53 extension, but it's not because millenials don't prefer mass transit because they do.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.