News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhen_var

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2024, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 04:02:28 PMI think that's actually pretty neat.  It's funded by Cavenue, not taxes, and regular cars can still use the lane (except for dedicated testing times, which, as noted in the video, only happens when the loss of the third lane isn't an issue).  It's also now a unique little stretch of freeway which is cool to see.
It's still less versatile, though, since you can't just move into that lane to pass people.  It's basically a separate one-lane carriageway, so you're stuck behind whoever the slowest driver in it is.
It's only a couple of miles though.  Not really a big issue.

GaryV

It's an issue if there's a blockage 1.5 miles into the couple of miles. And you can't get out.

Flint1979

That's stupid just like the flex lanes are stupid. I-94 is only three lanes in each direction with very heavy traffic volumes and should have been widened across the entire state 20-30 years ago just like US-23 between Flint and Toledo should have been. If I was in this lane and got stuck behind some one moving slow a a mile or so into the lane then I can't get back over to get around the slow moving vehicle because of those cones in the way. I seriously hope that MDOT isn't thinking about doing this anywhere else. They have come up with some very stupid things over the years and this is indeed one of them.

Flint1979

Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 10:32:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2024, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 04:02:28 PMI think that's actually pretty neat.  It's funded by Cavenue, not taxes, and regular cars can still use the lane (except for dedicated testing times, which, as noted in the video, only happens when the loss of the third lane isn't an issue).  It's also now a unique little stretch of freeway which is cool to see.
It's still less versatile, though, since you can't just move into that lane to pass people.  It's basically a separate one-lane carriageway, so you're stuck behind whoever the slowest driver in it is.
It's only a couple of miles though.  Not really a big issue.
In that area of I-94 it most certainly is an issue.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on April 29, 2024, 08:01:18 AMIt's an issue if there's a blockage 1.5 miles into the couple of miles. And you can't get out.

And with I-94 traffic to contend with.

KelleyCook

Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 04:02:28 PMthink that's actually pretty neat.  It's funded by Cavenue, not taxes, and regular cars can still use the lane (except for dedicated testing times, which, as noted in the video, only happens when the loss of the third lane isn't an issue).

:pan:  :banghead:  :pan:

I and the rest of Michigan Residents paid for those lanes (and pay the gas taxes to maintain them).  Now 1/3rd of it has been removed for a test by Cavenue who convinced someone it was OK to rent a mile and half section of an always busy freeway for some purpose not quite articulated to those of us who paid for the road.

And furthermore Cavenue's rental fee wasn't refunded back to me for this stupidity, they gave money to the bureaucrats.

Flint is right, all of I-94 should be 3 or 4 lanes all the way to the Indiana Border. This boondoggle takes that in the opposite direction.

sprjus4

I genuinely don't know why DOTs in certain states still think implementing one lane, barrier separated, segments of freeway is a good idea.

Back here in Hampton Roads, they opened a new stretch of HO/T lanes that is a single lane with zero passing permitted. I tend to avoid it altogether, unless traffic is heavy enough in the GP to warrant it, because despite a higher speed limit, you seemingly always get stuck behind a slow driver and a stack of cars builds up quickly. I've, on more than one occasion, seen people use the enormously wide 14-16 ft shoulder to pass people - and I can't say I blame them.

So this "pilot" on I-94 just creates a zone where drivers get trapped in the left lane, completely ignoring the principles of how a freeway works with left lane for passing only. This is only going to worsen traffic, cause lengthy stacks of vehicles, and cause reckless passing, despite it "not taking away a lane". Adding a barrier will impact traffic and decrease safety, toll / restriction or not.

Plutonic Panda

Colorado loves to do that and to a lesser extent I've seen it in Texas. Absolutely moronic that DOTs haven't noticed this. Though I usually speed well over the limit I'll be happy if the speed if traffic is moving at the speed limit and even better if it's moving slightly faster than GP lanes.

But with some exceptions, I swear traffic in these lanes moves slower, than the regular ones. It's infuriating.

sprjus4

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2024, 11:26:45 AMColorado loves to do that and to a lesser extent I've seen it in Texas. Absolutely moronic that DOTs haven't noticed this. Though I usually speed well over the limit I'll be happy if the speed if traffic is moving at the speed limit and even better if it's moving slightly faster than GP lanes.

But with some exceptions, I swear traffic in these lanes moves slower, than the regular ones. It's infuriating.
Bingo. Going to my original example, the new single HO/T lane on I-64 is posted at 65 mph while the GP lanes is 60 mph. What seems to happen every time though is that the GP lanes (60 mph speed limit) are moving 67-70+ mph, whereas one guy in the HO/T lane (65 mph speed limit) is going between 61-63 mph with about 10 to 15 cars stacked behind him because he's oblivious. Or even if he's going exactly 65 mph, traffic is still exceeding that in the GP lanes.

Those single HO/T lanes, here or anywhere, are a trap in my eyes, especially if there's long distances between exits. If you're paying a toll, you should be able to legally pass slower drivers. Or in the case of I-64, the "toll lane" should've never been anything except a third free general purpose lane in either direction.

The "free flow" of traffic generally works best when you can slower traffic keep right, and to go with the flow. The second you eliminate the ability to pass, and the ability to natural flow of what the traffic wants to move, you create brake slamming, tailgating, illegal maneuvers, road rage in extreme cases, and overall a dangerous situation. Situations that didn't previously exist when you didn't have a single barrier separated lane. DOTs seem to ignore this though, and at the same collect revenue off it through tolls... because it's cheaper then properly building either two HO/T lanes or simply making the lane free.

Flint1979

I find it a little strange that MDOT bothered to widen the length of I-75 between the southern terminus of I-675 and the northern terminus of I-475 from six to eight lanes over the course of the last 20 years. Saginaw to Flint and vice versa traffic is higher and the weekend summer traffic is always fun but this is the only section other than the section from MM 155 to 164 that they bothered to do something like this. US-23 and I-94 sit there with four lanes (two in each direction) and have about the same traffic volumes as I-75 does between Flint and Saginaw if not higher in some areas. I'm complaining because I frequently fight traffic on these freeways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.