News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A game that I have been playing for almost 8 years

Started by hotdogPi, August 28, 2014, 10:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I call it the Number Finding game.

I started when I was 7 years old, looking for the number 1. Then a 2, then a 3, and so on. After about a month, I got into the 3 digit range.

Currently, I am looking for a 574. I could find it in many ways, some of which are common ways of finding numbers:

House number 574.
License plate 357 400.
Dollar bill serial number 25743230.
$5.74 item in a store.
Phone number 311-895-7423. (Completely made up, but don't call it just in case)
Route 574.
The year 1574 in a history textbook.
Mile marker 57.4

And many other ways, too. If there is punctuation or a space in between the digits, it still counts.

Once, I find the 574, I look for a 575 (which shouldn't be too hard because some prices are $5.75).

If something has consecutive numbers, like the clock, the odometer, exit numbers, or mile markers, I can only count it once. If I am looking for a 608, I can count the time 6:08, but getting any after that from the clock would be cheating until I find a 609 somewhere else.

Writing or typing the number, searching digits of pi, and other similar things are not allowed.

One thing that I do is that I keep track of future numbers. I know where a 577 is, and I can go to that place when I need to find a 577.

I will not count anything on this forum done in an attempt to show the number I am looking for, since that would be cheating.

If you have any questions about this game, or if it seems confusing, you can ask here.

Maybe you could start playing yourself! If you do, you can share your progress here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

spooky

Is your username a catalyst for others to start the game?

hbelkins

So in other words, we shouldn't post photos of road signs with the numbers you need?

We had a game like that here once upon a time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

How very OCD.

I'm pretty sure there will never be an area code 311.  (Isn't 311 the "call before you dig" number?)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on August 28, 2014, 02:02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there will never be an area code 311.  (Isn't 311 the "call before you dig" number?)

that's 811.  I believe all x11s are reserved.  511 is traffic info.  411 and 911 are well-known.  anyone know the others?

edit: here's the scheme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N11_code

2-1-1: community services and information
    3-1-1: municipal government services, non-emergency
    4-1-1: directory assistance; exception is Texas, which most of it requires 1+4-1-1
    5-1-1: traffic information or police non-emergency services
    6-1-1: telephone company (telco) customer service and repair
    7-1-1: TDD relay for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
    8-1-1: underground public utility location,[1] in Canada 8-1-1 is assigned for non-emergency health information and services
    9-1-1: Emergency services: Police, Fire, Ambulance
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

I can find 57.4 on a Missouri mile marker, since they're done in .2-mile increments.

ET21

Quote from: hbelkins on August 28, 2014, 01:09:13 PM
So in other words, we shouldn't post photos of road signs with the numbers you need?

We had a game like that here once upon a time.

This
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

6a

Yeah 311 here is the "call to get shitty wrecks towed from your street" number. I know because I did this :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.