News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Alabama
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: froggie on Today at 07:09:26 PMThe better question:  what magical pot of new money is ALDOT going to use to maintain all of their new responsibilities?  It's not like they're flush with cash...even if they drop some other routes as Alex implies.  4-lane roads and big bridges inherently cost more than 2-lane country roads...

If they're savvy, they'd hire a consultant to apply for and then do the subsequent reporting for one of the many discretionary grant programs...
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by Rothman - Today at 10:28:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 09:30:10 PMYeah, construction and crashes are each in and of themselves able to bring roads to a halt.  That's fairly universal - I don't think many DOTs plan their road widening around "the road will still flow freely if we close a lane for whatever reason".

Heck, I dealt with that just yesterday - a crash shut down a lane on I-87 north at the Twin Bridges and cascaded into stop and go traffic all the way down to I-90 along both I-87 and all alternate routes.  What was normally a 10 minute trip from work to the grocery store took half an hour (and I couldn't go straight home, which would have worked fine since my main alternate is entirely diagonal east-west roads that are useless for getting north of the Hudson, because it was go grocery shopping or starve).  NY isn't racing to widen it, even with something like this (granted, this was an unusually severe example - normally US 9 at least moves, and normally the backup doesn't cascade from exit 5 to exit 2 in the time it takes me to walk from my computer to the car) happening once or twice a month.

^This.

I mean, I-91 in MA carries 50,000 AADT in the vicinity of Northampton and Amherst (larger population combined than Putnam County and closer to a much larger metro area to its south than dinky Charleston and dinkier Huntington) and only has one parallel route (US 5/MA 10).  Four lanes.  And sure, incidents cause issues everywhere.

And I've been traveling the I-79/I-64 corridor between Morgantown and Huntington pretty darned frequently for decades.  Sure, there's some traffic on I-64 between Charleston and Huntington.  Ooooooo.
Quote from: Big John on Today at 10:12:21 PMStill the 1 - Orleans
or
1 is the Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night

Arguably "I'm Not the One" by the Cars would be more appropriate, seeing as how he changed his username away from "1."
Has there ever been a roadmeet in Limon?
Still the 1 - Orleans
or
1 is the Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night
Off-Topic / Re: How many states have a pla...
Last post by golden eagle - Today at 10:10:38 PM
There used to be a Mississippi City, MS, until it was annexed by Gulfport in the 1960s.
Off-Topic / Re: How many states have a pla...
Last post by golden eagle - Today at 10:06:31 PM
Quote from: jlam on February 28, 2024, 12:03:16 PMYou also left out Colorado City, TX, a Limon-sized ranching town along I-20.

LIMON!!! That would make Todd (Control City Freak) freak out.
Central States / Re: OK Turnpike Speed Limits
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 10:03:27 PM
Quote from: adwerkema on October 05, 2023, 02:19:58 PMI drove I-44 and the section between US-81 and the Norman Spur has been increased to 80 mph. Looks like the change occurred sometime between June and July of this year. Southwest of the US-81 exit, the speed limit decreases back to 75 mph.
Speaking of which...

https://okcfox.com/news/local/speed-limit-on-i-44he-bailey-turnpike-raises-to-80-mph-between-chickasha-and-lawton-oklahoma-city-comanche-caddo-grady-counties-pikes-peak-road-director-tj-dill-turnpike-authority

"On Thursday, the speed limit increased to 80 mph on the I-44/H.E. Bailey Turnpike between Chickasha and Lawton.

According to the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA), maintenance crews installed new signage along a 59-mile portion of the I-44/H.E. Bailey Turnpike between Chickasha and Lawton in Comanche, Caddo, and Grady counties.

The OTA Board approved the 5 MPH increase in April of 2023.

Officials said the section of the I-44/H.E. Bailey between Lawton and the Texas state line will remain posted at 75 mph at this time."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.