News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where did US 119 cross the Kanawha River prior to Corridor G?

Started by hbelkins, November 22, 2023, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Prior to the completion of Corridor G, US 119 was concurrent with WV 3 from Danville/Madison southeast to Racine, and then ran along what is now WV 94 to WV 61 south of Charleston.

Where did US 119 cross the Kanawha River?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

It followed WV 61 from Marmet into Charleston. It then crossed the Kanawha River on the 1915 Kanawha City Bridge (replaced circa 1975 by the current 35th Street Bridge) and took Washington Street through the State Capitol Complex and into downtown.

Mapmikey

US 119 moved to the I-64 bridge when it opened, circa 1975 for a longer WV 61 overlap until Corridor G opened

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 22, 2023, 03:48:22 PM
It followed WV 61 from Marmet into Charleston. It then crossed the Kanawha River on the 1915 Kanawha City Bridge (replaced circa 1975 by the current 35th Street Bridge) and took Washington Street through the State Capitol Complex and into downtown.

The old US-119 bridge was also called the 35th Street Bridge.  There was a time where the new 36th Street Bridge was open while the 35th Street Bridge was being reconstructed (1977-78), but US-119 had already been rerouted further down WV-61 and onto I-64.  The section of I-64/I-77 behind the State Capitol ended at the new 36th Street Bridge (Exit 98). 

The 35th Street/36th Street twin spans are a holdover from the days when I-64 was planned to be routed along the south side of the Kanawha and either I-77 would connect to I-64 in Kanawha City, or I-77 would cross the river on the West Side and connect in the South Hills.  In the latter case, the old State Road Commission was planning to ask that 35th Street/36th Street twin spans still be funded as a 3DI Spur Route connecting to the State Capitol.  Not sure why WVDOH didn't ask for them to be a 3DI Spur Route connecting to Kanawha City, but it has never been as important crossing as it was back when US-119 and WV-14 used the old 35th Street Bridge.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2023, 03:05:35 PM
Prior to the completion of Corridor G, US 119 was concurrent with WV 3 from Danville/Madison southeast to Racine, and then ran along what is now WV 94 to WV 61 south of Charleston.

Where did US 119 cross the Kanawha River?

I wonder if you were thinking about the old South Side Bridge?  Once upon a time, I was researching the old WV-13 (later WV-14) that crossed over from Charleston and headed south along what is now the general route of Corridor G.  As best as I could find, there have never been any route numbers (US routes or WV state routes) that ever crossed the South Side bridge.  It was once famous because of an early version of reversible lanes, and just prior to the I-64 Fort Hill Bridge opened the entire bridge (all three lanes) reversed directions for rush hour traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.