News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Sign Font Does Your City/Town Use?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 08, 2009, 05:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

San Angelo, Texas uses Clearview font on US 67/US 277 (Houston Harte Expressway) the only way i know is, i know what Clearview's "L's" look like.
What fonts do yalls "populated places" use?
BigMatt

agentsteel53

here in California, we use Highway Gothic for the most part.  I know of a very few Clearview signs here and there, but they were not commissioned by CalTrans.  There is a pair of Clearview big white signs on I-5 in San Clemente (southern Orange County) saying that Avenida Pico is not suitable for trucks.  The signs were commissioned, and paid for, by San Clemente.  That's the only example I can think of offhand on a state highway.

if you know where to look, you can find a variety of old pre-Highway Gothic fonts here and there.  I believe California first used Highway Gothic in 1943 or 1944, and moved exclusively to it by 1956. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Norman uses all uppercase Series B on a green blade. My old hometown of Goldsby used all uppercase Series D on a red blade. Springfield, Missouri has my favorite blade design–upper and lower case Series C on green. It looks so sharp.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

as for the street blades, San Diego has traditional mixed-case Series B or C, white on a green background. 

Plenty of older porcelain-on-embossed black letters on white background street blades exist, though.  They use all caps, B if I recall correctly.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

In our area of PA, thankfully highway gothic is used way more than clearview, but newer signs seem to have clearview. I know the cities in PA use mostly highway gothic, but once out in the rural areas, clearview is EVERYWHERE!

Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadfro

All I've seen anywhere in Nevada have been some form of the FHWA fonts.  Every once and a while I see something that looks like Clearview, but it usually turns out to be a FHWA font with irregular spacing and/or stroke width instead.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

WillWeaverRVA

Henrico County uses various variations of FHWA fonts. There is no Clearview at all on any county-maintained road, except for a mysterious Clearview patch on the signs for Lydell Dr (residential street off E. Parham Rd near J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College). For some reason, the "Dr" on each sign is patched over with another "Dr" in Clearview.

There is also a Clearview sign for ECPI Technical Institute on Nuckols Rd at Cox Rd, but this is very close to the interchange with I-295 and was placed by VDOT.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

Quotethe "Dr" on each sign is patched over with another "Dr" in Clearview

your tax dollars at work!

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Well, before it was removed, there was a Parham Rd sign on I-95 South, mounted on the Scott Road bridge (it was knocked off the bridge by a truck, apparently). There was a Clearview "Parham Rd" patch covering up another "Parham Rd". There was nothing wrong with the sign, they just patched it for no apparent reason.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Hellfighter

In the Detroit Area, everything's going clearview.

cu2010

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 08, 2009, 07:49:29 PMSpringfield, Missouri has my favorite blade design–upper and lower case Series C on green. It looks so sharp.

Wayne County, NY uses signs like that extensively (though many signs on NYSDOT-maintained roads have been replaced with NYSDOT signage with all uppercase Series D), with the name of the road in mixed-case Series C, and the road type in uppercase in the upper right corner of the sign.  I do quite like it...it does look really sharp (although a few of the newer installations have begun using Series B instead of C, which, in my opinion, doesn't look as good)  I haven't seen signs like that in most of the rest of the state...at least not the parts I've been in. :D

For the most part, NY hasn't jumped on the Clearview bandwagon yet...the only Clearview signs I've seen are on the NY Thruway.  And, if NYSDOT does decide to start using Clearview, I hope they do a better job of it then NYSTA does.  :-D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

PAHighways

Allegheny County DPW uses their own font, City of Pittsburgh uses Helvetica, while most other signage is still FHWA with a dash of Clearview.

njroadhorse

Quote from: PAHighways on July 12, 2009, 09:59:33 PM
Allegheny County DPW uses their own font, City of Pittsburgh uses Helvetica,
I love those fonts so much.

I believe NJDOT is using Series B for the most part.  I'm not entirely sure though.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

myosh_tino

My city's street blades are white text on a royal blue background.  The text is definitely not a FHWA font.  Maybe someone here can identify the font they use.

Example...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 20, 2009, 07:18:16 PM
I believe it is Bookman.

http://www.identifont.com/samples/adobe/Bookman.gif
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% sure.  These signs were installed a couple of years ago.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 08, 2009, 07:49:29 PM
Norman uses all uppercase Series B on a green blade.
Except at intersections with traffic lights, where the blades are red.

As for my original hometown, the sign blades are the normal green with FHWA Gothic font (not sure which series), but most newer signs, especially on Alt US-40 are Clearview.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.