Why does US 136 still go through Colchester, Illinois?

Started by bugo, June 19, 2012, 03:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The IL 336 bypass has been built of Colchester and Tennessee, but US 136 hops off the expressway to go through these towns.  Why wasn't US 136 routed onto IL 336 instead of being left on its old alignment?

Probably because its still a state road and the bypass was IL 336 and IL 110. It clearly signed as the local road. Its a about a mile shorter and takes a couple of minutes longer

bugo

If they want it to be a state road, make it BUS US 136.

Maybe they just didnt want to bother with AASHTO

Brandon

It's IDOT, need I say more?    X-(

Seriously, though, I have no idea why US-136 was left on the old road while only IL-336 (and IL-110, bastard aberration that it is) is on the new road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

silverback1065

i think the better question is, why does us 136 exist at all its completely useless (at least in indiana it is) ?

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 19, 2012, 06:17:32 PM
i think the better question is, why does us 136 exist at all its completely useless (at least in indiana it is) ?

Folks in Nebraska might not like that reasoning...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Looks like there's room for a future extension around the north side of Macomb. Maybe they're waiting for that and move 136 onto the whole thing at once? Wouldn't be the first time that a bypass started out as a state highway despite being faster than the US highway.

Yes Steve there are plans for a North bypass of Macomb . Only a couple of bridges are funded in the next 5 year plan

RoadboyIL

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 19, 2012, 06:17:32 PM

Hey, here in Heyworth, Illinois, we like having US 136 run through our town!  :)

Mdcastle

Illinois one of those states that believes any local road can be a US Highway, so why not...

kphoger

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 10, 2012, 02:53:27 PM
Illinois one of those states that believes any local road can be a US Highway, so why not...

Huh??  Having lived in both ends of the state, I'm struggling to see how that's true.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Somebody left a Kansas City Star at a restraunt in Macomb I have run into a couple of other people asking if thye were heading the right direction on the 110,so part of 136 isnt local.

BTW contruction on the bypass is underway

Mdcastle

Just another shot in the eternal debate on whether local access roads should be US Highways. I recently drove US 6 from Moline to Des Moines, and no on in their right mind would take it instead of I-80 (maybe that says something about me). Therefore it dilutes the US highway "brand". If US 6 can exist off the main through road, what is so different about US 136 doing so?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.