News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2021, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 28, 2021, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2021, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2021, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 18, 2020, 09:23:14 PM
I agree with famartin's answer. If you want a project done efficiently, get the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to do it.  LOL
Heck they get things done in the same amount of time (if not sooner) than contractors here in Florida do despite the all year round warm weather here and cold winters with snow to halt work during the winter season's up there.

That's not really a thing anymore though.  Concrete can be laid at colder temps. Snow gets scooped out of the way by bucket trucks.  There's quite a bit of work going on in the winter.

I would say it is.  Every April through October is still considered as construction season by PennDOT.
Many PennDOT projects seem to be creeping into Nov and early Dec.  But definitely not Jan-March.

I can't speak much about PennDOT, since they also shut down most projects this year in the spring as a result of COVID whereas other states didn't. But in NJ, I have a project 2 miles from me they've been working on steadily all winter, including pouring concrete for bridge supports. Many of NJDOT's projects near the shore *must* be worked on throughout the winter due to summertime restrictions.

It could be a regional thing. Its probably a lot harder to work on a road in, say, Bradford PA all winter, versus one in Philly (I believe they are continuing active construction along I-95 in Philly all winter).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on January 28, 2021, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2021, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 28, 2021, 02:26:34 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2021, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2021, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 18, 2020, 09:23:14 PM
I agree with famartin's answer. If you want a project done efficiently, get the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to do it.  LOL
Heck they get things done in the same amount of time (if not sooner) than contractors here in Florida do despite the all year round warm weather here and cold winters with snow to halt work during the winter season's up there.

That's not really a thing anymore though.  Concrete can be laid at colder temps. Snow gets scooped out of the way by bucket trucks.  There's quite a bit of work going on in the winter.

I would say it is.  Every April through October is still considered as construction season by PennDOT.
Many PennDOT projects seem to be creeping into Nov and early Dec.  But definitely not Jan-March.

I can't speak much about PennDOT, since they also shut down most projects this year in the spring as a result of COVID whereas other states didn't. But in NJ, I have a project 2 miles from me they've been working on steadily all winter, including pouring concrete for bridge supports. Many of NJDOT's projects near the shore *must* be worked on throughout the winter due to summertime restrictions.

It could be a regional thing. Its probably a lot harder to work on a road in, say, Bradford PA all winter, versus one in Philly (I believe they are continuing active construction along I-95 in Philly all winter).

Right. And there's a huge difference between PennDOT shutting down all activity for the winter, versus specific regions of PennDOT shutting down.

74/171FAN

QuoteMany PennDOT projects seem to be creeping into Nov and early Dec.  But definitely not Jan-March.

Publication 408, Section 413.3(b), includes provisions for paving outside of April to October.  That definitely plays a part in more projects being done in November and December.

However, PennDOT is obviously being much more strict about it than when paving during April to October.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

Thread Bump:
Only because nobody has commented on such yet; but on a recent weekend trip, I noticed that the NJTA finally got around to placing I-95 shields on its southbound overhead pull-through signs at Exit 8A.  Such must've happened within this year because such were not done when I last drove there just after last Christmas.  I believe such completes the through-sign updates in relation to the connection opening over 2 years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 24, 2021, 03:53:19 PM
Thread Bump:
Only because nobody has commented on such yet; but on a recent weekend trip, I noticed that the NJTA finally got around to placing I-95 shields on its southbound overhead pull-through signs at Exit 8A.  Such must've happened within this year because such were not done when I last drove there just after last Christmas.  I believe such completes the through-sign updates in relation to the connection opening over 2 years ago.

Wow lol... yeah they weren't there through November last year (last time I drove SB at 8A). About time...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 30, 2018, 11:44:10 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2018, 10:57:27 PM
I think the idea is that most northbound travelers are heading to NYC or beyond, whereas people are getting out at various points southbound.
That would explain why you see signs for NYC as far south as at least Salisbury MD when coming up US-13.  Also interesting is that this seems to be one of the rare points where MDOT recognizes that Philadelphia exists.

Living in Dover, though, I never have seen any sign pointing traffic to Philadelphia or NYC around here.  Furthest north these signs go is Wilmington and the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Sorry for the old quote, but does anyone know what signs he is referencing here?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

famartin

They finally updated the signage coming on from 130

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: famartin on May 23, 2021, 08:37:28 PM

Is Penn Turnpike an allowed signage?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SignBridge

Theoretically a road name shouldn't be used as a destination. As per the MUTCD it's supposed to be the next control city on an Interstate highway. In this case Harrisburg probably should be shown. But here in the Northeast the powers that be sometimes use Penn Turnpike or NJ Turnpike figuring that those well known Turnpikes are almost destinations in themselves. Not technically correct but it sort of works.

Tonytone

Definitely should say Philadelphia - Wilmington. However Maryland and NJ seem to have an issue with signing Wilmington or even Philadelphia.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Tonytone on May 23, 2021, 10:31:36 PM
Definitely should say Philadelphia - Wilmington. However Maryland and NJ seem to have an issue with signing Wilmington or even Philadelphia.
I would do Philadelphia-Harrisburg.

akotchi

These were updated at least a year ago.  I never got around to posting my photos from April 2020.

I could also nitpick and say that the left sign should have North only above the I-95 shield, since both directions of the mainline Turnpike are accessible from this ramp.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadsguy

Quote from: akotchi on May 24, 2021, 10:55:25 AM

These were updated at least a year ago.  I never got around to posting my photos from April 2020.

I could also nitpick and say that the left sign should have North only above the I-95 shield, since both directions of the mainline Turnpike are accessible from this ramp.

If you really want to nitpick, you could say that it should be signed "95 North/NJTP East" and "95 South/NJTP West" just like the Newark Bay Extension. :bigass:

Quote from: SignBridge on May 23, 2021, 10:28:09 PM
Theoretically a road name shouldn't be used as a destination. As per the MUTCD it's supposed to be the next control city on an Interstate highway. In this case Harrisburg probably should be shown. But here in the Northeast the powers that be sometimes use Penn Turnpike or NJ Turnpike figuring that those well known Turnpikes are almost destinations in themselves. Not technically correct but it sort of works.

I don't mind the NJTA's non-standard practices like this, but since they've started strictly following the MUTCD now, I do hope future signs replace the "Penn Turnpike" legend with a PA Turnpike shield next to the I-276 shield, and "WEST" centered over them both. Then add Harrisburg as a second control city. It'd be pretty cool to see Harrisburg signed from New Jersey, though personally I've always thought Valley Forge would be a better westbound control city the I-276 portion of the Turnpike, just like it is on the Schuylkill Expressway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ekt8750

I mean if you really want to nitpick, 276's endpoint is Valley Forge so a Philadelphia/Valley Forge control would work here but like others I'm fine with Philadelphia/Harrisburg.

bluecountry

For legacy roads, like the NJTP, PATP, Mass Pike, I am good with them being control city destinations in these circumstances.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2021, 09:39:51 PM
Is Penn Turnpike an allowed signage?

Depends on how many or few people have heard of William Penn.  :colorful:

ixnay

bzakharin

I would not use Wilmington here as you can go either way, or better yet, neither (I-295) to get to Wilmington from this area.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bzakharin on May 26, 2021, 06:05:39 PM
I would not use Wilmington here as you can go either way, or better yet, neither (I-295) to get to Wilmington from this area.
Wilmington isn't needed, as you would have to pass through Philly to get there.

Tonytone

That is true. people heading down south would have taken 295 like you said.

Where about is this exit.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

famartin

Quote from: akotchi on May 24, 2021, 10:55:25 AM

Ok this is where I must've deleted 2020 from my memory, since I saw GSV had a late 2019 date and thought "oh, this got fixed in the last few months"   :ded:  :-D

bzakharin

Quote from: Tonytone on May 26, 2021, 09:19:17 PM

That is true. people heading down south would have taken 295 like you said.

Where about is this exit.
US 130 in Florence at the only interchange on the Pennsylvania Extension (which is now I-95). There is no direct access from 130 (or the Turnpike) to 295 here, but getting there from said interchange involves exactly two traffic lights.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bzakharin on May 27, 2021, 02:56:05 PM
US 130 in Florence at the only interchange on the Pennsylvania Extension (which is now I-95). There is no direct access from 130 (or the Turnpike) to 295 here, but getting there from said interchange involves exactly two traffic lights.

Presumably the NJTA does not want an interchange between the New Jersey Turnpike's Pennsylvania Extension (I-95) and I-295, for it would likely increase shunpiking of the NJ-700 section of the Turnpike south of Exit 6.  It would also put an interchange rather close to the large Exit 6 interchange (though the land appears to be available for such an interchange).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ekt8750 on May 24, 2021, 12:02:21 PM
I mean if you really want to nitpick, 276's endpoint is Valley Forge so a Philadelphia/Valley Forge control would work here but like others I'm fine with Philadelphia/Harrisburg.

On the Pennsylvania side, where the Turnpike continues as I-276 at Exit 40 (left exit) and I-95 stays to the right for Philadelphia, the control city to go with I-276 is indeed Harrisburg.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

famartin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 29, 2021, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on May 24, 2021, 12:02:21 PM

On the Pennsylvania side, where the Turnpike continues as I-276 at Exit 40 (left exit) and I-95 stays to the right for Philadelphia, the control city to go with I-276 is indeed Harrisburg.

I agree, the ideal signage for Exit 6 on the mainline and at 130 should closely parallel what is signed in PA at Exit 40.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 29, 2021, 12:45:35 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 27, 2021, 02:56:05 PM

Presumably the NJTA does not want an interchange between the New Jersey Turnpike's Pennsylvania Extension (I-95) and I-295, for it would likely increase shunpiking of the NJ-700 section of the Turnpike south of Exit 6.  It would also put an interchange rather close to the large Exit 6 interchange (though the land appears to be available for such an interchange).

The land around 295/Tpk Ext is pretty much spoken for. SW has some sort of lake, NW has a transmission power easement, and NE & SE is farmed land. The entire area is less than a mile from the split to the Turnpike mainline, and just over mile from the Interchange 6 toll plaza. In terms of engineering and distance separation, it can be done (everything can be done...at a price), but not as easy as it would seem.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.