News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

This email was just sent out at 14:52 today:

Quote from: MassDOT Statewide Exit Renumbering Project TeamThe following corridor will begin conversion in approximately one week:
Corridor: Interstate 95
Approximate start date: Feb. 23
Approximate construction duration: 10 weeks
- Between the NH Border and Route 120
- Between the Route 1 Interchange and Route 20
- Between the I-90 Interchange and Westwood/Canton
- Between Neponset Street and and the RI Border
Hours of operation: 8:00 PM - 5:00 AM

Ben114

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 18, 2021, 03:17:51 PM

Quote from: MassDOT Statewide Exit Renumbering Project TeamThe following corridor will begin conversion in approximately one week:

I see that they kept the "Route 120" typo in there. Ten weeks puts the finishing estimate at May 4.

shadyjay

Perhaps these segments of I-95 make more sense:

Northern I-95, from NH State Line to Peabody
I-95/128 - North end, from Peabody to Weston
I-95/128 - South end, from Weston to Canton
Southern I-95, from Canton to the RI State Line

By the split into four segments, I'm guessing this means they'll start SB with the NH to Peabody section, then work back north.  Then when that section is done, they'll work from Peabody to Weston, then back north, continuing with all 4 segments until its done.

I really have to hand it to them to continue work on this project through the winter we're having... compared to the past couple winters! 

hotdogPi

Quote from: shadyjay on February 18, 2021, 05:13:23 PM
I really have to hand it to them to continue work on this project through the winter we're having... compared to the past couple winters!

This is actually a normal year in Massachusetts. Last year was unusually unsnowy.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ben114 on February 18, 2021, 03:42:40 PM

I see that they kept the "Route 120" typo in there. Ten weeks puts the finishing estimate at May 4.
FWIW & based on this 1958-1959 Official State Map, an MA 120 did once exist in Peabody/W. Peabody through the late 50s.

The current MA 120 exists in N. Attleboro & is an extension of RI 120.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 09:29:01 AM

FWIW & based on this 1958-1959 Official State Map, an MA 120 did once exist in Peabody/W. Peabody through the late 50s.

In case anyone has an issue with PHLBOS' link (I did) the map is on this page, https://massdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MinimalGallery/index.html?appid=643a9eb188d0439088646866bf5e9844

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 09:29:01 AM

FWIW & based on this 1958-1959 Official State Map, an MA 120 did once exist in Peabody/W. Peabody through the late 50s.https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/152443814_10115223643109108_7367100488803313067_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=sKFK1cTcFvQAX8r4_0s&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=2db1b1cd5bbc2f077dd8f95c15f9b8dd&oe=60542BB1

I can't believe the Route 120 thing above didn't hit me before (although it may have come up in a thread in the past).  When we lived in Peabody, we lived right near the former route 120, which even then hadn't been around for a long time but my dad remembered it.  We figured that its onetime presence had to be why Lake Street, part of Lowell Street, and Birch Street were a slightly thicker line on the classic AAA "Boston and Vicinity" map that they don't make anymore (but what a classic it was!); those streets were the route of the old Route 120.

For decades now, Birch Street has been one-way northbound (mainly due to the Burke School, but it's awful narrow anyway).  Signage on Birch Street would probably be better if the state did it.  Peabody is known for making its own wacky signs and shows no signs of ever stopping.

Thinking about Route 1, did they give any rationale why not to number exits even on stretches like the Northeast Expressway section from Charlestown to Revere?  Did they take the Caltrans wind-loading excuse, or was it just that un-numbered was good enough?  It seems like exit numbers could be helpful, or at least wouldn't hurt anyone.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SectorZ on February 19, 2021, 10:30:53 AMIn case anyone has an issue with PHLBOS' link (I did) the map is on this page, https://massdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MinimalGallery/index.html?appid=643a9eb188d0439088646866bf5e9844
Were you doing such on a phone or a computer/laptop?  The link should've directed one to the map pdf file.  I rechecked the link on my laptop prior to posting & it went through fine.

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 19, 2021, 10:38:35 AMThinking about Route 1, did they give any rationale why not to number exits even on stretches like the Northeast Expressway section from Charlestown to Revere?  Did they take the Caltrans wind-loading excuse, or was it just that un-numbered was good enough?
My guess would be the latter; since it was never numbered; leave it alone. 

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 19, 2021, 10:38:35 AMIt seems like exit numbers could be helpful, or at least wouldn't hurt anyone.
Had it still been part of I-95 as it once was; it certainly would've received numbers for those interchanges decades ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 11:57:10 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 19, 2021, 10:30:53 AMIn case anyone has an issue with PHLBOS' link (I did) the map is on this page, https://massdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MinimalGallery/index.html?appid=643a9eb188d0439088646866bf5e9844
Were you doing such on a phone or a computer/laptop?  The link should've directed one to the map pdf file.  I rechecked the link on my laptop prior to posting & it went through fine.

The first link doesn't work by clicking it on a laptop, but it does work through the second link.

It appears to have a signature that's different for everyone.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

5foot14

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 19, 2021, 10:38:35 AM

I can't believe the Route 120 thing above didn't hit me before (although it may have come up in a thread in the past).  When we lived in Peabody, we lived right near the former route 120, which even then hadn't been around for a long time but my dad remembered it.  We figured that its onetime presence had to be why Lake Street, part of Lowell Street, and Birch Street were a slightly thicker line on the classic AAA "Boston and Vicinity" map that they don't make anymore (but what a classic it was!); those streets were the route of the old Route 120.

Just out of curiosity, is this the reason the jughandle exists on Route 1 north, to provide access to what was once route 120 from route 1 north?

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 19, 2021, 10:38:35 AM

Thinking about Route 1, did they give any rationale why not to number exits even on stretches like the Northeast Expressway section from Charlestown to Revere?  Did they take the Caltrans wind-loading excuse, or was it just that un-numbered was good enough?  It seems like exit numbers could be helpful, or at least wouldn't hurt anyone.

The more I think about this the more I would like to see exit numbers on route 1. That would create actual reference points that could be used on route 1, instead of having to use local landmarks to reference where something is. Would be easier for businesses to utilize for advertising as well.

SM-A515U

jp the roadgeek

Just for ha-ha's, here is what I have for exit numbers if Route 1 were to add them:

Exit 47 (SB ONLY): Rutherford Ave//TO I-93 NORTH
Exit 49 (NB ONLY): Beacon St
Exit 50: Fourth St (NB) / Carter Ave (SB)
Exit 51A (NB ONLY): Webster Ave
Exit 51B (51 SB): MA 16
Exit 52 (NB ONLY): Sargent St
Exit 53: MA 60
Exit 54 A/B: Lynn St

End of controlled access section

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PurdueBill

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 19, 2021, 01:04:45 PM
Just for ha-ha’s, here is what I have for exit numbers if Route 1 were to add them:

Exit 50: Fourth St (NB) / Carter Ave (SB)

I wouldn't mind them being numbered all the way up through Danvers.  I know it's not limited access, but there are interchanges that could be identified with numbers.  If Route 2 can have separate sections with exit numbering and especially if Route 6 on the Cape can have exit numbers for its limited-access section, even the Super-2, why not Route 1?  Maybe on the next sign replacement.

Separately, I still don't get why the interior of the Walnut Street interchange gets used for staging the big green signs for signing projects in Revere/Saugus/Lynnfield on Route 1, but the Walnut Street interchange itself never gets any big green signs.  You'd think with a numbered route coming in there even, maybe they could put signs at that one like they do at all the other like interchanges in Saugus.  Hinky.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 19, 2021, 12:01:10 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 11:57:10 AM

The first link doesn't work by clicking it on a laptop, but it does work through the second link.

It appears to have a signature that's different for everyone.

I was on my desktop. I knew where the link came from so posted that URL as a courtesy in case others had the same issue.

PurdueBill

I found a copy of the classic AAA Boston and Vicinity map and there it is, old Route 120 still in a thicker line.  It was like this until that version of the map was succeeded by a bigger sheet, digitally produced one that lacks the charm of this one.

Old-fashioned legend

map cover, which changed annually; somewhere around we have some from longer ago than this 1990 one.  This was one of the first to have the then-new exit numbers for I-95 and the completed interchange in Peabody shown.  Older ones showed the incomplete stuff and, of course, older exit numbers.  Living in Peabody, it was kinda exciting (to me) to live near such a big deal and that Peabody got the outline while not every city or town did.
The West St. that is shown in W. Peabody is mythical; never was sure where that one came from.  No street runs on that path all the way from Winona to Pine; Johnson St. does exist on part of what appears to be West St.  Also, Good Dale is really Goodale, just like in Columbus, Ohio.  Oh well, at least old Route 120 is on there with a thicker line.  :P

They didn't bother to show Exit 29 on 128, which is too bad--guess it would have been too confusing with it being 45 on 128. 

On a new exit number note, is someone going to be in charge of renumbering tab in the famous meme?  It has to become Exit 26 soon.  Will it get an OLD EXIT sign too?

5foot14

Some pics I took of the renumbering on route 128. As of this morning they have completed up to Route 35 heading northbound. I was kind of hoping they would add an exit tab to the northbound route 35 advance sign but they did not. Because of that the old exit plaque was added to the exit now sign. The same goes for the southbound route 114 advance sign. The old exit plaque for the southbound Endicott st exit sign was placed on its own supports, but was placed in such a way that it obscures the exit sign behind it. Also, curiously, there is a small sign approaching route 114 northbound for the Essex Coastal Scenic Byway that they slapped a giant 40A on to, covering up the word Exit entirely. I apologize for some pics being blurry, my camera is not great at high speed. 

SM-A515U

Great Lakes Roads

Got an e-mail today about the next highway getting new exit numbers:

The following corridor will begin conversion in approximately one week:

• Corridor: Interstate 84
  • Approximate start date: Feb. 28
  • Approximate construction duration: 1 week
  • Location: US 20 Interchange in Sturbridge to the Connecticut border
  • Hours of operation: 8:00 PM - 5:00 AM

PHLBOS

Just for ha-ha's, here is what I have for exit numbers if Route 1 were to add them:

Exit 50: Fourth St (NB) / Carter Ave St. (SB)

FTFY.  The MA 60 interchange is where I-95 would've continued northward.  The Northeast Expressway listing on Google Maps for US 1 between MA 60 & Lynn St. is erroneous.

Quote from: bob7374 on February 22, 2021, 12:51:39 PM
See they weren't totally honest with the old exits signs for the MA 114 exits, they were incorrectly reversed under the sequential numbering system so Exit 40A should say Old Exit 25B and 40B, Old Exit 25A.
:confused: The sequentially erroneous A-B assignments for the 114 interchange have been the same since the old E-W suffixes were dropped.  It was the MA 1A interchange where Exit 45 A was the old Exit 20 B and Exit 45 B was the old Exit 20 A.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 22, 2021, 04:03:03 PM
Just for ha-ha’s, here is what I have for exit numbers if Route 1 were to add them:

Exit 50: Fourth St (NB) / Carter Ave St. (SB)

FTFY.  The MA 60 interchange is where I-95 would've continued northward.  The Northeast Expressway listing on Google Maps for US 1 between MA 60 & Lynn St. is erroneous.

Quote from: bob7374 on February 22, 2021, 12:51:39 PM
See they weren't totally honest with the old exits signs for the MA 114 exits, they were incorrectly reversed under the sequential numbering system so Exit 40A should say Old Exit 25B and 40B, Old Exit 25A.
:confused: The sequentially erroneous A-B assignments for the 114 interchange have been the same since the old E-W suffixes were dropped.  It was the MA 1A interchange where Exit 45 A was the old Exit 20 B and Exit 45 B was the old Exit 20 A.

I think the idea of the ha-has exit numbers though was for the limited-access section which begins in Charlestown and makes it to north of Lynn Street even though that is beyond the Northeast Expressway section which would have went with 95 through the marsh.  If they did add exit numbers, it would only make sense to number Lynn Street too even though it is a pretty tight, substandard interchange.  (If they can number intersections on Route 140 and equally tight interchanges on 128, then why not this one.)  North of that, it could be argued against numbering although I think they should.)

It is a relief that they didn't accidentally swap the As and Bs at Route 114 thinking that they needed to do so based on Route 1A or something.  At least this time someone looked at all the exits carefully, unlike when 25E became 25A!

The Ghostbuster

As to giving US 1 exit numbers, I would give all exits along US 1 in Massachusetts numbers, not just the ones on the Northeast Expressway.

DJ Particle

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 23, 2021, 02:14:45 PM
As to giving US 1 exit numbers, I would give all exits along US 1 in Massachusetts numbers, not just the ones on the Northeast Expressway.

MA-9 also has quite a few interchanges on it, with the furthest-east one being Mass. Ave.

bob7374

MassDOT posted a blog post this afternoon indicating the I-95 exit renumbering is to start tonight (2/25), and they actually list the route in Peabody as 128, not 120:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/massdot-advisory-federally-required-statewide-exit-renumbering-work/

Great Lakes Roads

Dang, they are working quickly to renumber all the exits! Next up is Interstate 91 starting TOMORROW!

The following corridor will begin conversion tomorrow: 
Corridor: Interstate 91
Approximate start date: Mar. 2
Approximate construction duration: 2 weeks

bob7374

Took a trip this weekend to capture the exit renumbering completed on MA 128 and the start of work on I-95. Here's a couple renumbered signs for the first two I-95 exits which are actually in NH. Hope their governor doesn't hear about this:

The remainder of the I-95 photos and what I've posted so far for MA 128 are at:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

yakra

QuoteHope their governor doesn't hear about this
<NotSerious>
Since that exit leaves within NH, it could be renumbered as Exit 0. Fits nicely with the current sequential sequence, matches mileposts too, and everybody's happy!
</NotSerious>
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 01, 2021, 02:38:56 PM
Dang, they are working quickly to renumber all the exits! Next up is Interstate 91 starting TOMORROW!

The following corridor will begin conversion tomorrow: 
Corridor: Interstate 91
Approximate start date: Mar. 2
Approximate construction duration: 2 weeks

Meanwhile in CT....
started conversion 2015
finish conversion 2035

If they really wanted to, they could do the Mass approach.  But I guess they really don't want to do it that fast.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.