News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rockaway Freeway

Started by Declan127, April 13, 2020, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan127

In Rockaway, NYC, there is a freeway that's just a boulevard under a train. Can anyone give me a reason why it's a "freeway" when all of our freeways are "expressways"?
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

1995hoo

Supposedly the name came about because when it opened, it was largely free of cross streets and you could go a good distance without hitting a traffic light, so they called it Rockaway Freeway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Declan127

lol, they blocked off most of the cross traffic, but nearly every street flows into it. It's a nightmare trying to get from bay to beach. And they closed off a part between 78th and 62nd streets and made it so Beach Channel Drive is discontinuous, and the two swapped alignments at 84th Street, with the "freeway" taking over Java Place as well.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

1995hoo

Quote from: Declan127 on April 16, 2020, 10:30:55 AM
lol, they blocked off most of the cross traffic, but nearly every street flows into it. It's a nightmare trying to get from bay to beach. And they closed off a part between 78th and 62nd streets and made it so Beach Channel Drive is discontinuous, and the two swapped alignments at 84th Street, with the "freeway" taking over Java Place as well.

I haven't been on that road in a very long time. No reason to use it. My father's mother lived in an apartment on Seagirt Boulevard, but she died in 1995 and I haven't had reason to go to Far Rockaway since then. My father hated Rockaway Freeway anyway and after the first couple of visits to Far Rockaway he always took Beach Channel Drive instead. He felt Rockaway Freeway was just too unsafe, especially with the whole family in the car. If I'm in the Rockaways now, I'm going the other way to Breezy Point or Roxbury.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 16, 2020, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Declan127 on April 16, 2020, 10:30:55 AM

I haven't been on that road in a very long time. No reason to use it. My father's mother lived in an apartment on Seagirt Boulevard, but she died in 1995 and I haven't had reason to go to Far Rockaway since then. My father hated Rockaway Freeway anyway and after the first couple of visits to Far Rockaway he always took Beach Channel Drive instead. He felt Rockaway Freeway was just too unsafe, especially with the whole family in the car. If I'm in the Rockaways now, I'm going the other way to Breezy Point or Roxbury.

I was last in the Rockaways in December and for the first time I drove from Far Rockaway to Belle Harbor.  (My previous trips to the area I usually take 878 to FR, and haven't really been on any part of the western side of the Rockaways.)  One thing that struck me as I drove around and looked at the map is that most of the peninsula, west of Bch 35 St, could get by with just two arterials, namely Beach Channel and Rockaway Beach.  The problem is that there is no current way to allow Rockaway Beach traffic to seamlessly continue eastward (along parts of R Fwy) without a whole bunch of turns (and vice-versa westbound).  If that were some how addressed, then the traffic there would be a lot more smoothly.

Much of the R Fwy route could be downgraded to support a bikeway.  It will be shaded thanks to the el. 

BrynM65

All those support pillars for the rail tracks make me feel a bit uneasy - no crash barriers in sight. Is there a ban on commercial traffic around here because even a low speed collision could potentially do severe structural damage there?

I assume the NYC speed limit of 25 applies.
The road giveth, and the road taketh away...

RobbieL2415

Quote from: BrynM65 on June 14, 2020, 01:17:33 PM
All those support pillars for the rail tracks make me feel a bit uneasy - no crash barriers in sight. Is there a ban on commercial traffic around here because even a low speed collision could potentially do severe structural damage there?

That area is well-served by the A train, so most folks probably use it to go inbound or the LIRR to head east.

I'd bet truck traffic for that area is directed down the Van Wyck to JFK and then onto Rockaway Blvd. and then the Nassau Expressway. Otherwise you'd be stuck going south on Flatbush Ave., which is no fun even for cars. And you have to pay a toll to use the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Roadrunner75

This video, filmed on a similar roadway in Chicago, shows how well this type of road functions at high speeds:

nexus73

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 14, 2020, 10:22:58 PM

This video, filmed on a similar roadway in Chicago, shows how well this type of road functions at high speeds:

Looks like a scene from a "Fast and Furious" movie...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

BrynM65

It's the 1980 classic Blues Brothers!

And now you know why Revive Wacker Drive was so expensive, the cumulative effects of many Chicago PD vehicles and gunshots...

All jokes aside, we just don't generally have elevated railways above roads like that here in the UK so it rarely causes us to ask the question.
The road giveth, and the road taketh away...

roadman65

New Smyrna Beach, Florida has a Dixie Freeway that is an arterial and part of US 1. Do not ask me why they did not use the "Highway" name like most other places on US 1 or parallel roads in the state, but Rockaway Freeway is not the only non freeway freeway in existence.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2020, 10:06:48 AM
New Smyrna Beach, Florida has a Dixie Freeway that is an arterial and part of US 1. Do not ask me why they did not use the "Highway" name like most other places on US 1 or parallel roads in the state, but Rockaway Freeway is not the only non freeway freeway in existence.

West Virginia uses the word "freeway" for some roads with at-grade intersections, such as US-340 approaching Harpers Ferry–if you pan the camera around in the opposite direction and click a short distance back, you'll come to a traffic light on the portion they consider a "freeway."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.