News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-93 Massachusets Mileage/Exit#'s

Started by ATLRedSoxFan, February 13, 2011, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kramie13 on February 16, 2021, 05:06:22 PM
What I find amusing is that with sequential exit numbering, there are more exits than miles on I-93 in Massachusetts!  Okay, *were* more exits.  Many were eliminated when the Big Dig tunnels were completed.  And I believe exit 19 was eliminated well before the Big Dig.

Thankfully mile-based exits will fix this.

Isn't I-95 through Connecticut very similar.  I can't remember, but I thought the amount of miles and exit numbers were very close, or maybe more exits. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: kramie13 on February 16, 2021, 05:06:22 PM
And I believe exit 19 was eliminated well before the Big Dig.
Northbound yes, southbound no.  The latter was for Albany St.  More on that below.

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2021, 10:25:03 PM
I'm excited for a Boston that doesn't jump from exit 14 to 27 in about 3 miles.
I've stated such in other threads in the past & it's worth repeating here.  The Big Dig project would've been an excellent opportunity to have introduced mile-marker-based interchange numbers (at least) along I-93; especially given the reduction in interchange ramps through Downtown Boston as a result of said-project. 

As most here know, the current sequential numbering along I-93 was based on the ramps that still existed along the old Central Artery circa 1987.  It's worth noting, the Central Artery/South Station Tunnel/Pulaski Highway portions of the Fitzgerald Expressway had several additional ramps present/in-use when it originally opened in the late 50s.  Many of those were closed/cut-off by the mid-to-late 70s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ran4sh

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 16, 2021, 11:46:13 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 16, 2021, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 15, 2021, 08:53:28 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 13, 2011, 11:59:29 PM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 13, 2011, 06:07:08 PM
I was in Massachusetts this last week, drove I-93 several times and noticed the exit numbers an mileage signs didn't corespond, but off by 3 miles or so. What's up with that?

Are you by any chance a Red Sox fan from Atlanta?  'cause if so, you might be interested to know Georgia used sequential numbering until a decade or so ago too.

I remember Georgia's sequential numbers. And Georgia went cold-turkey when they switched to mileage-based exit numbers, with no placards displaying the former exit numbers following the conversion.

Really?  Like one day you woke up and the exit number was way different?  That's a tad shocking.
Georgia sure did, and so did Virginia when they converted from sequential to mile-based. No "former exit" placards in either state to help smooth the transition. It was like jumping head first into the deep end of an ice-cold swimming pool. Other states that posted the former exit numbers for a few years following the transition is more like stepping down the stairs at the shallow end of said swimming pool, and eventually making your way to the deep end. In the case of Pennsylvania, it's been nearly 20 years since they converted from sequential to mileage-based exits, but a lot of interchange signage still have placards displaying the former sequential exit numbers.

Georgia's signage changed to the new exit numbers without any additional "old exit" signage, but it wasn't "cold turkey" as some of you are describing. In fact I would say that Georgia's method is preferred, based on the MUTCD guidance/principles that simple signage is better and less-relevant information can often be left off of signs with that information being given in other ways.

The way that Georgia indicated the conversion of an old exit number to its new number, was by methods such as: (1) distributing brochures at the Welcome Centers that listed all old and new exit numbers in the state; (2) releasing this information to newspapers statewide, most of which published an article about the conversion as well as including the relevant exit numbers for the newspaper's area or even for the whole state, (3) including this information on its website.

The result is that, years later, there isn't any extra or unnecessary information on our exit signs, compared to other states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, etc. where I have noticed, even 5+ or 10+ years after exit number conversion, that there are still some "old exit #" signs which could potentially distract drivers.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.