Overdrive's 2008 Worst Roads Rankings

Started by PAHighways, February 02, 2009, 01:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

The magazine's yearly ranking is out with Pennsylvania still runner-up to Louisiana which again takes the title of "Worst Roads."  Respondents were all over the map, no pun intended, when it came to the Keystone Shortway.  Interstate 80 took first in "Most Improved Highway Segment," second in "Best Highway Segment," and fourth in "Worst Highway Segment" categories.  I along with my site were mentioned in the article again this year.

http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=75585

Revive 755

I don't recall I-94 in Michigan having that bad of pavement between US 23 and the Indiana state line as of last November.  I think a couple spots could have used a third lane.

They should mention the poorly designed I-70 between I-79 and the Turnpike as one of the bad ones in Pennsylvania.

Regarding Missouri having fifth best, I'm not entirely sure I agree with.  The pavement may be much better now, but congestion is an issue, with I-70 being unpredictable and I-44 needing a few more climbing lanes, if not a third lane in some spots - Pacific to Sullivan for example.

I have doubts about the best highway segments, as I-40 seems to have congestion problems in Tennessee.  I-80 has some sections of bad pavement in Nebraska - there's a section somewhere west of Kearney that feels like driving on a rumble strip at the speed limit of 75.  I-75 in Georgia seems to be needing a fourth lane on some rural spots.

Regarding rest stops, seems Iowa should be one of the best (maybe not among the top three though), and Missouri among the worst (inadequate size, no weather information).

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: PAHighways on February 02, 2009, 01:11:58 AM
The magazine's yearly ranking is out with Pennsylvania still runner-up to Louisiana which again takes the title of "Worst Roads." 

Why am I not surprised.

Yet they complain about I-10. But really, the only truly horrible sections of I-10 are from Lake Charles east to the Calcasieu/Jefferson Davis parish line (mentioned in the article), Lafayette to Henderson, and within eastern New Orleans. Otherwise most of I-10, pavement wise, is in good to excellent condition. Design wise, that's another story, but even Texas has its freeways of antiquated design (I-35 thru Austin, etc.).

Now I-55, on the other hand....

njroadhorse

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on February 03, 2009, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on February 02, 2009, 01:11:58 AM
The magazine's yearly ranking is out with Pennsylvania still runner-up to Louisiana which again takes the title of "Worst Roads." 

Why am I not surprised.

Yet they complain about I-10. But really, the only truly horrible sections of I-10 are from Lake Charles east to the Calcasieu/Jefferson Davis parish line (mentioned in the article), Lafayette to Henderson, and within eastern New Orleans. Otherwise most of I-10, pavement wise, is in good to excellent condition. Design wise, that's another story, but even Texas has its freeways of antiquated design (I-35 thru Austin, etc.).

Now I-55, on the other hand....
:ded: X-(
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Voyager

I'm afraid to see where CA is on that list.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.