News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

The Memphis MPO recently approved its Priority List from its November 15 Agenda:

I found it interesting that the I-55/ Crump Boulevard project, #2 on the list, needs a construction fund.

If anyone was concerned, the error was noted and corrected:

Mr. B.J. Page moved to adopt the TDOT Project Priority List Ranking as presented; Mr. James Hay seconded the motion, and the motion carried without dissent.
COMMENTS/DISCUSSION:
 Dr. Gerrit Verschuur made a request to correct the spelling of the word Federal.

codyg1985

I missed this back in November. TDOT is looking at ways to rebuild the I-24/75 junction in Chattanooga. Other improvements include:

- Ramp widening at East Brainerd Road
- Widening I-75 between Collegedale and Cleveland to six lanes
- Widening I-75 between the Georgia State Line and I-24 to eight lanes
- Building a Chattanooga bypass
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

bassoon1986

Quote from: Grzrd on December 04, 2012, 05:56:39 PM
The Memphis MPO recently approved its Priority List from its November 15 Agenda:

I found it interesting that the I-55/ Crump Boulevard project, #2 on the list, needs a construction fund.

If anyone was concerned, the error was noted and corrected:

Mr. B.J. Page moved to adopt the TDOT Project Priority List Ranking as presented; Mr. James Hay seconded the motion, and the motion carried without dissent.
COMMENTS/DISCUSSION:
 Dr. Gerrit Verschuur made a request to correct the spelling of the word Federal.

Hahaha  I glanced at it and thought it said FOR REAL funding   :-D

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 13, 2012, 10:20:41 AM
Quote from: jpi on September 13, 2012, 12:36:10 AM
I do agree about a possible road meet for Chattanooga but I think the US 27 construction is on hold for now, maybe perhaps next fall, I have bee seriously considering hosting a meet down there since I did Memphis without a hitch and Chattanooga is even closer to me ( 2 hours as apposed to 3 hours from Memphis)
What's the work on hold for?

This press release indicates that TDOT Commissioner Schroer will announce future plans for the US 27 corridor in Hamilton County during an April 16 on-site visit.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 15, 2013, 12:20:28 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 13, 2012, 10:20:41 AM
Quote from: jpi on September 13, 2012, 12:36:10 AM
I do agree about a possible road meet for Chattanooga but I think the US 27 construction is on hold for now, maybe perhaps next fall, I have bee seriously considering hosting a meet down there since I did Memphis without a hitch and Chattanooga is even closer to me ( 2 hours as apposed to 3 hours from Memphis)
What's the work on hold for?

This press release indicates that TDOT Commissioner Schroer will announce future plans for the US 27 corridor in Hamilton County during an April 16 on-site visit.

This article reports that widening and reworking of US 27 in downtown Chattanooga is budgeted for 2015, and that the project had been stalled by issues related to the Fourth Street interchange:

TDOT Commissioner John Schroer announced Tuesday that work will proceed on the $80 million widening and reworking of U.S. 27 downtown and the widening of Olgiati Bridge as soon as the current major project On 27 north of the bridge is complete.
The project is budgeted for construction in 2015
, he said at a press conference on Stringer's Ridge.
The project had been stalled after changes were suggested at a RiverCity Company-sponsored forum - especially related to the Fourth Street interchange.
Jennifer Flynn of TDOT said Fourth Street will remain as designed, but there will be a signal at MLK Boulevard instead of a roundabout that had been recommended by some city officials.

TDOT has issued a press release announcing TDOT's FY 2014-2016 Three Year Plan.

codyg1985

TDOT is conducting a multimodal study for the entire I-24 corridor within Tennessee.

Cody Goodman

rickmastfan67

I'm curious, but does anybody know if the US-11 Business route in Athens, TN was approved by the AASHTO, or is just a "fake" route shown on the official TN State Map (been on there for the last several years)?  I was looking in StreetView the other day and couldn't find any proof of this route being posted (StreetView imagery is from 2009).  On the US-Highways site, it says it's been around since sometime in the 90's.

The reason for this post is that I'm considering removing it from the CHM site if it was never approved by the AASHTO because of it not being posted in the field.  So, any incite on this route would be greatly appreciated.

codyg1985

Last time I drove through there a year ago, I don't remember seeing any Business US 11 shield anywhere along US 11
Cody Goodman

rickmastfan67

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 18, 2013, 08:33:07 AM
Last time I drove through there a year ago, I don't remember seeing any Business US 11 shield anywhere along US 11

Alright then.  Guess I'll get it deleted then.  Thanks for the info from the field.

Avalanchez71

Does anyone happen to recall when US 31E was signed West along SR 155 (Briley Pkwy) in lieu of East along SR 155 over to I-65?  It ran concurrent with SR 155 to I-65 North then it ran concurrent along SR 386 (Vietnam Veterans Pkwy) over back to US 31E mainline in Gallatin.  There was a BUS 31E that ran in Hendersonville.  Does anyone recall this and then if so do you know why this was removed and then put back onto the surfaces roads?

codyg1985

TDOT announced a project to upgrade the intersection of SR 96 and US 41 in Murfreesboro to a SPUI: https://news.tn.gov/node/10930
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

I just traversed this very intersection yesterday and was looking at the cycling of the lights.  That would be a welcome addition.  That intersection could easily warrant a interchange.  I am surprised with the roundabout craze that they didn't go with that.

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 27, 2013, 02:01:10 PM
I just traversed this very intersection yesterday and was looking at the cycling of the lights.  That would be a welcome addition.  That intersection could easily warrant a interchange.  I am surprised with the roundabout craze that they didn't go with that.

Probably way too much traffic for a roundabout to handle without UK-style signalization (which would defeat the purpose of using a roundabout in the first place).

codyg1985

TDOT has a project in it's July letting to continue the widening of I-65 south of Franklin from just north of SR 248 to SR 840. This includes the interchange modification at SR 248.
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

That was the cause of the bottleneck the whole time, the interchange with SSR 248.  The design of this interchange was differently done with a very low traffic count in mind.  The design doesn't allow for much room to merge.  TDOT screwed up I-65 when the put in so many lanes to allow for SR 840 traffic to flow onto I-65 then only to narrow to two lanes in each direction just prior to SSR 248.  That causes what I call right lane runners to clog and bottleneck traffic.  They know the lane ends; however, they merge at the very last second causing everyone behind them to brake.   :ded: :angry:

codyg1985

^ The new design calls for those lanes that merge into I-65 from SR 840 just continue so there will be four lanes in each direction. The interchange with SR 248 will be a urban diamond interchange. SR 248 and Peytonsville Road in the vicinity of the interchange will be widened to three lanes in each direction.
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

I just hope that they do not build the additional interchange off of I-65 that the new mayor of Spring Hill wants.  That is only going to lead to even more traffic jams.  SR 396 provides excellent coverage for Spring Hill and points south and north.

codyg1985

^ Where does he want the new interchange? Is it close to 840?
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

He wanted Duplex RD SSR 247; however, it is too close to SR 396.  It looks like they want access from Thompson Station Rd, if I can recall, around MM 56.  The city would upgrade Buckner Ln and Thompson Station Rd along with the Town of Thompson Station.

rickmastfan67

Has anybody been in the Franklin, TN area recently?  I need an update on how US-31 is routed there.  StreetView is worthless there with 2007 imagery, and TDOT's PDF's are almost as worthless.

The reason I'm asking is because there is one decent 2008 image in StreetView showing US-31 has been rerouted onto the Eastern Bypass of town with US-431 and the in-town former route of US-431 is now a Business route.  I'm wondering if the same happened with US-31 and that the in-town route is now a Business route and they eliminated all those funky Truck US-31 routes there.

When looking at a dated 2011 AADT map of Franklin from TDOT (PDF download), it does show the reroute of US-431, but shows US-31 still going into town.  It also doesn't show the US-431 Business route there.

So, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!  I want to correct this area properly in CHM data.

NE2

Bing's Streetside imagery (apparently 2012) shows US 31 Business through town and US 31 and US 431 both cosigned with SR 397. Many signs include a Truck banner on the bypass, but almost all signs pointing inside the bypass use a Business banner. There's at least one error: on SR 397 (US 31) north at US 431 south, both US 431 north and US 431 Business north are pointed left. And on SR 397 (US 431) south at US 31 north, US 31 south is pointed right. Many (all?) signs downtown are missing Business banners (and what a clusterfuck downtown is). But it does look like all signage one would see when following the route has it use the bypass (if one ignores the Truck banner).

To recap: approaching SR 397 you have a choice of Business and Truck. If you follow Business, most signs lack a banner. If you follow Truck, some signs lack a banner. But Truck is often used superfluously, while Business never is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

I get to Franklin all the time.  US 31 coming from the south is marked as NE2 heretofore stated as straight ahead on Columbia Ave is Business US 31 and pointing to the right on SR 397 is Truck US 31.  Past the intersection there is one Business US 31 banner.  Past that there are no further Business US 31 banners.  This is; however, consistent with most of Tennessee's US Business routes anyway.  Business US 412 in Columbia is signed the same way. 

Another interesting note is that SR 397 was a hidden designation; however, since 2011(?) the state erected SR 397 all along the Mac Hatcher By-Pass.  There are also signs all over Franklin marking Truck SR 96; however, they go any which way all over town and they never really tell you which is which.  They just do not want trucks blazing into the downtown area.  The downtown area is an attraction of sorts nowadays and I think that is why they still have Business US 31 routed through to the Public Square and onto Main St proper.  I can't really think of many other examples in Tennessee where this exists.  Nashville gets close and other towns get close but they seem to always route of the square.  So as NE2 stated it is difficult to tell what is the mainline and what is not.  There are sign errors all over Mac Hatcher with the signs pointing in the wrong directions.

rickmastfan67

Alright, I'm going to reroute US-31 onto TN-397 and turn the in-town route to a Business route.  I already had US-431 on TN-397 and a Business route for it into town.

I'll also eliminate the two "Truck US-31" routes at CHM. [1] [2]  Especially since the US-31 reroute for the site would duplicate one of them.

Thanks for the help NE2 and Avalanchez71!!

UptownRoadGeek

Does anyone know what's going on with the I-240/I-40 interchange? It appears to have been a dormant cpnstruction site for at least 5 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.