News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2015 Baltimore and Eastern Shore, MD Meets – March 14-15

Started by Laura, December 29, 2014, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Baltimore: Saturday, March 14
Eastern Shore, MD: Sunday, March 15

Saturday: Baltimore
Lunch location: Red Brick Station, The Avenue at White Marsh, 8149 Honeygo Boulevard, Nottingham, MD 21236. (410) 931-7827
Time: 12 noon
Major attractions: I-95 ETLs, MD 139 Charles Street Reconstruction, I-170 western end reconstruction, button copy, old shields and signs, and more!
https://www.facebook.com/events/829666723739064/

Sunday: Eastern Shore
Lunch location: TBD, but leaning towards Doc's Riverside Grille, Centreville, MD
Time: 11 am
Majors attractions: MD 404 widening, old concrete alignment of MD 313, unique traffic lights in Easton, general MD route weirdness, and more!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1530960033834124/

On Friday and Saturday evenings, Mike and I will be hosting gatherings at our apartment in Charles Village, Baltimore City.

I'll post more details in the coming days and weeks, but wanted to get the announcement officially out there so anyone interested can start making plans.

If anyone is planning to attend the meet by train or bus, our apartment is within walking distance from Penn Station (Amtrak, Bolt Bus). We're also relatively close to Greyhound and Megabus.

Roadgeek Adam

I went to Baltimore in 2010 and depending on what happens, I will look at taking my bike and I to Baltimore for both days.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Takumi

Can't make it, unfortunately. Other things have come up.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

I've created facebook pages and have added the main post to include them.

It has actually come to my attention through PMs that a few people who are unable to attend on the 14-15 could possibly come if it were the 28th-29th instead. Since we are still in 2014, I would be willing to move the dates if there is an overwhelming response for the later dates over the former. I didn't initially consider them because Adam Moss was considering the 28th for Scranton.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Laura on December 29, 2014, 08:54:54 PM

It has actually come to my attention through PMs that a few people who are unable to attend on the 14-15 could possibly come if it were the 28th-29th instead. Since we are still in 2014, I would be willing to move the dates if there is an overwhelming response for the later dates over the former. I didn't initially consider them because Adam Moss was considering the 28th for Scranton.

Let's put it this way, I have the 28th as a backup. As far as I am concerned, it's March 21 until otherwise noted.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

oscar

I'll probably have a schedule conflict 6pm onward on Saturday 3.14 (for a Pi Day party).  But I can work around that even if the meet dates stay as is.

EDIT:  I'm on board for both days, except I'll need to peel away about 5:30pm on Saturday, and will have to skip the Saturday evening festivities.  Friday evening at Mike and Laura's is a possibility, but I'll await details on that.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Duke87

Ideally I'd like to make a weekend of it and attend everything.

Wrinkle to that is that my girlfriend has a Saturday morning class for the spring semester, so if I attend everything either she doesn't come or she drives down separately.

So, I'm in for eastern shore on Sunday but everything else is a maybe.

EDIT: Both me and my girlfriend will be there Sunday only. Confirmed.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

I plan to attend Saturday but not Sunday; my plan is to clinch some stuff in NYC on the way back, so I want to hit it on the less busy day (plus then I can take Monday off to sleep in/do laundry).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kharvey10

This one looks unlikely as 1. it will fall around the time I'm working night shifts at my employer, 2. cannot plan stuff more than 1 month in advance right now because of that employer, and 3. it actually conflicts with another event closer to home that I'm thinking about attending.

PHLBOS

If I am able to attend; it would be most likely for Saturday only.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Laura

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on December 29, 2014, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: Laura on December 29, 2014, 08:54:54 PM

Let's put it this way, I have the 28th as a backup. As far as I am concerned, it's March 21 until otherwise noted.

No problem. I will be keeping the dates of the meets as they stand -  March 14-15.

Quote from: oscar on December 29, 2014, 09:12:25 PM
I'll probably have a schedule conflict 6pm onward on Saturday 3.14 (for a Pi Day party).  But I can work around that even if the meet dates stay as is.

Pi Day! We will definitely have to have pie that day at 9:26 for 3.1415926 :)

vdeane

Now I'm starting to think about attending Sunday as well as Saturday; I think I can pull it off, and it's only one more day off from work if I did.  That said, I'm planning to clinch the remainder of the NYC interstates that I don't have on the way back, which would be on Monday.  I estimate that it would be three hours from Centreville to NYC, so if I left the hotel around 7-7:30, I should get to NYC around late morning.  How's the traffic then?  It appears doable with the typical traffic volume on Google Maps.

I'd have to spec out hotel prices in that area.  If they're too expensive I might go back to just Saturday, but I think I can make both days work now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Laura,

I'm going to ask you the same question I asked Adam in the Scranton Meet thread; what's the approximate duration of each day's activities? 

I have Saturday evening plans in Lancaster, PA.

Saturdays, for me, have literally become open-season in terms of activities as of late.

This past Saturday, there were three overlapping afternoon/evening events scheduled; all of which were cancelled due to the snowstorm that hit.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

It's probably just as well that I'm no longer in Norfolk.  Even if I was, I wouldn't be able to make it as that's the weekend of our Veteran's Summit up here...

kj3400

I might be able to make it to White Marsh, despite the fact that I'm on the wrong side of the harbor. I'm up for it.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

J Route Z

I am planning to go there in June if anyone is interested.

Laura

Laura

Despite my best efforts to plan this meet around my cousin's baby shower, the snow interfered with everything this winter.

My cousin's baby shower is now on the 15th.

The meets and all meet activities will still be on; I just won't be there for the Eastern Shore portion. Mike will still be there Sunday and will run the show :)

I realize I still owe you all the write-ups for the tours; I will get that up as soon as I can. If anyone needs my address, shoot me a message.

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura on March 05, 2015, 12:48:22 PMMike will still be there Sunday and will run the show :)

So does that mean Mr. MD Roads is in charge of hugging everybody?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Laura,

I will make my decision (yea or nay for Saturday only) either next Thursday or Friday when there's a more reliable weather forecast available.  Yes, my decision will be dependent upon the weather.  Hopefully, we're done with the snow and/or ice for this season; but never say never. 

Please note: that I will need to leave from where-ever the meet tour takes us by 5 PM.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Currently, the last day forecast to have any temperatures below freezing in Baltimore is tomorrow, with rain forecasted for the meet.  But of course the weather's been very volatile lately.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2015, 09:52:33 AM
Currently, the last day forecast to have any temperatures below freezing in Baltimore is tomorrow, with rain forecasted for the meet.  But of course the weather's been very volatile lately.
Which is one reason why I'm not going to make a decision until later next week.  7 to 10-day forecasts are subject to much change. 

The snowstorm that hit much of the Mid-Atlantic region 2 Saturdays ago (Feb. 21) was proof of such; for the Philly area, it wasn't even initially on the 3-day outlook (Feb. 18) let alone the 7 to 10-day outlook.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

Quote from: PHLBOS
Quote from: vdeaneCurrently, the last day forecast to have any temperatures below freezing in Baltimore is tomorrow, with rain forecasted for the meet.  But of course the weather's been very volatile lately.

Which is one reason why I'm not going to make a decision until later next week.  7 to 10-day forecasts are subject to much change. 

Anything beyond about 5 days should be taken with a grain of salt (with a few exceptions, such as what PHLBOS mentioned, forecasts are usually accurate enough out to 4-5 days).  The farther beyond 5 days, the bigger the grain...

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Laura

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay, but we will have the Baltimore itinerary posted tonight. We'll have the eastern shore one posted by Thursday.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.