News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Iceland's hidden elves delay road projects

Started by Dougtone, December 22, 2013, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

I came across an article in the Albany Times-Union about a road project in Iceland where elf advocates and environmentalists are trying to stop a road construction project because it is going to cause an impact that would harm an elf habitat and disturb an elf church.

A much more in depth article can be found at...
http://www.timesunion.com/news/science/article/Iceland-s-hidden-elves-delay-road-projects-5085823.php

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dougtone on December 22, 2013, 08:35:39 AM
I came across an article in the Albany Times-Union about a road project in Iceland where elf advocates and environmentalists are trying to stop a road construction project because it is going to cause an impact that would harm an elf habitat and disturb an elf church.

A much more in depth article can be found at...
http://www.timesunion.com/news/science/article/Iceland-s-hidden-elves-delay-road-projects-5085823.php

I am sure the Sierra Club would be happy to take up the cause of the elves if they thought it could delay or stop a highway construction or improvement project.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

I am sure the Robert Moses Fan Club would be happy to team up with the elves to send the highway through hep cat territory.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

english si

From the article:
QuoteIn this land of fire and ice
surely it's not elves, but snarks and grumpkins that they have to watch out for.

Jardine

and the frumious bandersnatch . . .

Alps

Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2013, 06:17:11 PM
They made a typo. It's Elvis.
I think it's Iceland's hidden Ylvis. "What does the environmentalist say? No-yo-yo-yo-yoyoyoyo"

Duke87

I remember my sister telling me that sometimes roads in Ireland would we built with seemingly random sudden curves to avoid having to cut down a "fairy tree". Superstition is still mainstream in some parts of the world.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on December 26, 2013, 06:38:59 PM
Superstition is still mainstream in some parts of the world.
Pretty much all parts of the world. See also: cemeteries.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Quote from: Jardine on December 22, 2013, 07:48:49 PM
What has Lewis Carroll got to it?

OK, my post was an obscure (and not very good) geeky joke I was making, about the stuff Lannisters joked about north of the Wall in the A Song of Ice and Fire books, playing off "the land of fire of ice" quote.

Jardine

just as real as the elves, grumpkins, and snarks.

:-o

Brandon

Quote from: english si on December 27, 2013, 06:55:44 AM
Quote from: Jardine on December 22, 2013, 07:48:49 PM
What has Lewis Carroll got to it?

OK, my post was an obscure (and not very good) geeky joke I was making, about the stuff Lannisters joked about north of the Wall in the A Song of Ice and Fire books, playing off "the land of fire of ice" quote.

O/T rant: Can he hurry the hell up and finish the sixth book already!?!
/rant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Duke87 on December 26, 2013, 06:38:59 PM
I remember my sister telling me that sometimes roads in Ireland would we built with seemingly random sudden curves to avoid having to cut down a "fairy tree". Superstition is still mainstream in some parts of the world.

Or like the many cases where some tree, that no one has even looked at for 50 years, suddenly becomes the focal point of protestors to stop a road widening/highway/development because of some vague historic possibility, like George Washington may have once peed on that tree. Many of those protestors will ignore the fact that in order for Washington to have gotten to that tree, he would have walked thru the land that the protestor's half-million dollar mansions sit on that were built 3 years ago, making it just as historical as Washington's pee spot.

Of course, some drunk at 2am will leave the bar with his friends, find the tree, then chop it down or set it ablaze.  And they probably pee on it as well.

Might as well use Bigfoot as a reason to prevent any new roads in the Northwest. "We shouldn't hurt what we've never seen and will probably never see!"

Jardine

Surely if Bigfoot was real, somebody would have nailed one with a Buick by now.

So to in regards to Icelandic Elves.  How much body damage a year do the local shops repair from the inevitable collisions ??

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 28, 2013, 12:00:22 AM
Or like the many cases where some tree, that no one has even looked at for 50 years, suddenly becomes the focal point of protestors to stop a road widening/highway/development because of some vague historic possibility, like George Washington may have once peed on that tree.

We went through this with the InterCounty Connector.

There were objections raised because of the possible presence of bog turtles in the way of the planned route (none were found), because of "champion" trees (there were not any in the path of the road), and old growth forests (the entire path of the road had been logged several times over the centuries).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Bog turtles must be the most over-abundant rare species.  Someone or some group always tries to say there's possible evidence of them in seemingly every project.  If they are that popular, why are they listed as a rare species???

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.