News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Philippines: Another attempt at route numbering

Started by sammi, February 16, 2014, 06:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

The forum is being strange; I made this yesterday but couldn't post for some reason.

The map below is a result of my latest attempt to assign route numbers to major highways in the Philippines. It was partly based on the original numbers from the obsolete American system, with the addition of some other numbers, AH26 (26) and some expressways.

This is something I made in about an hour or so, so I just traced the roads from Google Maps with a series of straight lines and put shields on them. The actual roads are of course on Google Maps.

http://i.imgur.com/NXMy22D.png

For the Manila area, I made a separate map, which shows the radial and circumferential roads:
http://i.imgur.com/e98wopX.png
It was slightly more difficult to find the definitions of the R- and C- roads, which surprisingly already exist even if they're not signed.

For the expressways, I just numbered them as sort of "bypasses" of the corresponding national highways, so for example Toll Route 3 (in the blue shield) is a "bypass" of Route 3 (in the white shield) and so on, because they really provide two different ways to reach the same destination.

If I could do a grid, I would, but looking at the geography, that is definitely impossible.

hotdogPi

There seem to be a lot of gaps and broken segments in your picture.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

oscar

Sounds like Fictional Highways material, even though it's on the other side of the world from most of us.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Zeffy

Quote from: 1 on February 17, 2014, 03:48:27 PM

PH 39 is crying in a corner because it's stranded with no ways to get to PH 35 or PH 1/26.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Quote from: oscar on February 17, 2014, 04:34:15 PM
Sounds like Fictional Highways material, even though it's on the other side of the world from most of us.
It does sound like Fictional Highways, but that's under National Boards. And there are no existing numbers (except for 26), so this doesn't count as a renumbering. :P

I'm still working out the kinks, trying to figure out how the routes are defined. For example, C-3 in the second map might not actually have two parts, and I'm still looking around for the correct definition.

Quote from: Zeffy on February 17, 2014, 05:59:50 PM
PH 39 is crying in a corner because it's stranded with no ways to get to PH 35 or PH 1/26.
Ferry? :bigass:

EDIT: I'll just host the image on my website instead of Imgur so I don't have to frequently copy a new URL.

A new, fixed version. This time, with slightly misaligned city boundaries (I may or may not put labels on them) and the specification AH26 shield. :pan: The full country map comes tomorrow probably.

WARNING: HUGE

In the original map, Toll 1 and C-3 appeared as discontinuities. Toll 1 because I knew there was an extension underway, and C-3 because I couldn't find the actual definition. Now I did, and it turns out the missing part of C-3 is another proposed expressway, the Metro Manila Skybridge (:confused:), the alignment of which is approximated by a dotted line.

C-5 also had another section already done, but it was only accessible from Toll 50. And to think I didn't even know it existed. The missing part of C-5 is also in a dotted line, but that line just follows the existing road there that isn't already designated C-5.

sammi

The full country map, now with also slightly misaligned provincial boundaries, major cities, and the reason I can't have 56 (formerly 39) connect to 1/26. I still don't know the ferry routes though, so just the roads for now.

WARNING: HUGE

I've decided to go with a different approach for dealing with the southern half. The numbers on each island in the central group are based on each island's area code. (While in the US states have multiple area codes, a lot of them overlaid onto each other, the Philippines has the opposite, multiple provinces per area code.) The island's main highway is assigned the route number corresponding to its area code (although I had to pick between 34 and 35 and between 33 and 36).

Also introducing three-digit national highways (3dnh), or secondary highways. 3dnh's, as with 3di's, branch off of the parent 2dnh, and the first digit denotes how far along the length of the route (or in the case of loops, how far south/east inside the loop) the branch-off point is.

CentralCAroadgeek

Pretty interesting map you got there, Sammi! And especially that I could understand the map and most specifically, southern Luzon and Metro Manila.

kurumi

Very nice looking map. Hopefully the master transportation plan includes extending the 3 to La Union and the 50 to Kawit (family) :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sammi

Quote from: kurumi on February 19, 2014, 11:41:42 AM
Very nice looking map. Hopefully the master transportation plan includes extending the 3 to La Union and the 50 to Kawit (family) :-)

I think CavitEx (Toll 50) already goes to Kawit, but I'm not exactly sure where Kawit is :/ so I'll take a look. As for 3, the plan is to extend it to La Union (look for San Fernando LU in the upper left hand region), ending either west or south of where 3 and 11 meet. Don't have it on the map because I'm not sure of the alignment. I also want it extended farther north to Laoag to meet with AH26 :)

Then I'll probably also post the other planned expressways, like NLEEx (Toll 5), CLLEx (roughly Toll 18) and BRMCREx (Toll C-6 or probably Toll 6 after renumbering again :P).

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: sammi on February 17, 2014, 06:19:37 PMIt does sound like Fictional Highways, but that's under National Boards. And there are no existing numbers (except for 26), so this doesn't count as a renumbering. :P.

Even though Fictional Highways is under National Boards, I once posted there about an hypothetical Trans Canada Expressway. And more recently, in the thread of routes that should be combined into one I threw some European and Chinese expressways.

PS: Thanks for choosing 35 over 34 :sombrero:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sammi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 19, 2014, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: sammi on February 17, 2014, 06:19:37 PMIt does sound like Fictional Highways, but that's under National Boards. And there are no existing numbers (except for 26), so this doesn't count as a renumbering. :P.
Even though Fictional Highways is under National Boards, I once posted there about an hypothetical Trans Canada Expressway.
I'm linking to this post from SkyscraperCity (where there are definitely more Filipino users), and putting it here would give it visibility. ;)

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 19, 2014, 03:24:10 PM
PS: Thanks for choosing 35 over 34 :sombrero:
:-D

CNGL-Leudimin

SkyscraperCity? Guess from where I ended up here :P (I'm there but just as CNGL)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sammi

I seem to have found a different definition of AH26 from the official one. So
    REDEF AH26

Also,
    RENUM 6 8 so I could use Toll 6.
    EXTEND Toll 3 up to the planned terminus near 3 at 11.
        Toll 3 is currently open from 54 to north of 17, and construction is ongoing up to 15.
    ADD Toll 47 because Toll 1 will probably be extended to Lucena City.

The full map has been updated.

@kurumi: Toll 50 does already go to Kawit, which is slightly east of Cavite City on the map.

EDIT: I seemed to have had Toll 1 extension's alignment too far west from what it actually was, because I thought the freeway went over the railroad tracks (as it did in the previous map). The Manila area map has also been updated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.