Old Traffic Signals in Norwood, Ohio

Started by jjakucyk, September 14, 2009, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjakucyk

Norwood, Ohio is an incorporated city entirely surrounded by the City of Cincinnati.  It avoided annexation attempts by Cincinnati over the years due to a very large industrial tax base.  More recently, as many of those industries have closed, Norwood has been facing serious tax revenue issues.  Because of that, and because Norwood never made a comprehensive effort to standardize their traffic signals like Cincinnati has, there's a plethora of very old, mostly Crouse-Hinds signals and flashers.  Most of them are at intersections near Norwood High School, all within a block or two of each other.  I've shown a few of these before, but most of the pictures are new, so let's have a look.  If anyone can provide more detailed information for any of these signals, I'd really appreciate it.

First up is a Crouse-Hinds Type D and a newer signal cluster at Allison Street and Mills Avenue.  Mills becomes one-way at this intersection, which is why the newer signal cluster has only 3 faces.

Next, at Allison Street and Sherman Avenue is this dynamic duo, another Crouse-Hinds Type D, and an original Type T from sometime between 1923 and 1929.  This may very well be the oldest signal still in use in the Cincinnati area.  Following are several detail shots showing the original and replacement lenses, as well as the controller box. 

A block and a half farther north is the intersection of Allison Street and Elm Avenue.  Elm is staggered a bit, so there's a handful of different signals along this half-block long stretch, though it's treated as a single intersection.  There's a handful of old single-face Crouse-Hinds deco signals here, but the best is an 8" left turn arrow. 

This first picture shows the old Crouse-Hinds with the arrow, and to its left is a fairly new signal.  Most of Norwood's signals are all yellow, but the one on the left has City of Cincinnati standard colors (yellow face, black tunnel visors, and a black back). 

Here's some of the other signals at that intersection.  There's a wide range of styles, colors, and ages. 

At Sherman and Franklin Avenues is this Crouse-Hinds flasher.  I remember a few months ago noticing that the red lights were almost impossible to see due to dirt on the lenses.  It looks like someone gave the lenses a good cleaning. 

In the middle of the block on Harris Avenue is this flasher, guarding a crosswalk in front of the Zumbiel Packaging factory.  It's not flashing however, the light is stuck on solid.

Here's a pair of flashers Carthage and Quatman Avenues.  It looks like the one on the left has had its visors repainted.  These are also stuck continuously on.  I could hear the motor whirring around in the controller box (which is rather large for mere flashers), so maybe a cam has broken or something.

The last flasher is on Highland Avenue at Orchard Street.  This one has a cute little controller box that seems more appropriately sized.

Finally, here's the ugliest doghouse I've ever seen at Section and Ross Avenues.  It's actually not TOO surprising to see something like this around here, because Cincinnati/Norwood are pretty old cities with narrow streets and tight intersections.  12" signals tend to be overkill, and in fact Cincinnati still installs brand new 8" LED signals where 12" aren't called for by the MUTCD.  Still, this thing just looks retarded. 

City

Wow, that city is lucky to have so many old signals.

And I have to agree with you that the last signals you shown are ugly.  :crazy:

Hellfighter

Ian

Niiiiiiiiiiice shots!!! I really like the shots of the CH Portholes (type T's) you got snaps of  :clap:! Great job!

The last doghouses signal style is seen in many intersections around NY (and IMHO, it looks like an interesting way to save money. I also kinda like the design)...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5322899718276835650

Anyway, nice pics!
Ian

P.S. Are you a member of Signal Traffic Forums?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Great photos, I really enjoyed that photo tour.

The black visor/yellow backplate/black signal combo is one I've not seen before. Outside of Cincinnati, where is that style used?

jjakucyk

That color scheme may be unique to Cincinnati (and the nearby jurisdictions that choose to copy it).  I've never seen it anywhere else. 

And PennDOTFan, I'm not a member of Signal Traffic Forums (considering that they don't even allow non-members to see the posts is kind of insulting), but I'll check it out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.