News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2013, 09:53:12 PM
Any word on if this will carry a temporary designation or I-49?

A signage project for Segments A-D (H.003516.6) was let in December 2012 and, as I recall, the Plan Sheets indicated that it will be signed as I-49.

NE2

Could be greened out though, like I-41.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

O Tamandua

Thanks, Grzrd and all.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on August 22, 2013, 10:36:14 PM

Or they could put plywood over it. lol.

US71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 25, 2013, 02:32:13 AM

Or they could put plywood over it. lol.

Or flip the sign over  ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lamsalfl

Will there be a Louisiana Welcome Center on I-49 southbound?

Brandon

Quote from: lamsalfl on August 28, 2013, 02:50:09 PM

I doubt it.  I wanted to stop at one on I-20 westbound in 2008 and there was none.  LADOTD closed all the rest areas there from what I could see.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2013, 09:53:12 PM
Any word on if this will carry a temporary designation or I-49?

I recently received some email clarification from LaDOTD (my questions in bold with LaDOTD answers immediately following the questions):

1.    Segments E-I will be signed as I-49. Correct? Yes

2.    Since Segments B-D will basically only be open to local traffic until Arkansas completes its section to state line, will I-49 signage be uncovered on those segments and those segments will be designated as I-49? Yes

3.    Will Segment A be completely closed until the Arkansas section opens? On segment A, all traffic will be forced off at La. 168

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: lamsalfl on August 28, 2013, 02:50:09 PM

From Google imagery there is a telltale cleared space adjacent to the future I-49 SB lanes, just south of the LA 170 interchange, that may correspond to a future rest area/potential welcome center - it looks too large to be a weigh station.

mcdonaat

I-49 state named shields are in place at La 498 (Airbase Rd exit) and PR 22/La 3265 (Woodworth) coming to the interchange from US 165. Also, a new sign has been installed northbound at the exit, with Rapides Parish 22 instead of just Parish 22.

roadman65

I just found an old map from the early 80's showing no I-49 in LA.  It has US 167 as a freeway from LaFayette to Opalousas, but no I-49 and the interesting part of it is that from Alexandria to Shreveport it was not US 71 that was the through route.  It shows that LA 1 is the main highway north of Alexandria with a red line, while US 71 had a black line.  South of Alexandria, LA 1 is a black line as both US 71 and US 167 were red line highways instead like you would figure they would be.

Too bad my scanner is messed up, or I would post this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Gordon

I found this article about hiring a director for the I 49 south coalition. Maybe that will help securing money to I 49 South. And it would not have to compete for funds with I 49 North which is largely complete. http://theadvocate.com/news/7075381-123/i-49-south-coalition-seeking-funds

Anthony_JK

Quote from: roadman65 on September 21, 2013, 04:19:54 PM
I just found an old map from the early 80's showing no I-49 in LA.  It has US 167 as a freeway from LaFayette to Opalousas, but no I-49 and the interesting part of it is that from Alexandria to Shreveport it was not US 71 that was the through route.  It shows that LA 1 is the main highway north of Alexandria with a red line, while US 71 had a black line.  South of Alexandria, LA 1 is a black line as both US 71 and US 167 were red line highways instead like you would figure they would be.

Too bad my scanner is messed up, or I would post this.

Sorry, but LaFayette is in Georgia. Lafayette is in Louisiana. DO NOT CAP THE F. Cajun folk don't like that. :-D

That 80's map would make sense, since it wasn't until late 1980's near 1990 that I-49 was built all the way to Alexandria, and the default route for going from Opelousas to Alexandria was US 167 through Ville Platte, Turkey Creek, and Meeker. US 71 was more preferred for those going directly to Baton Rouge while bypassing Opelousas. There was an intermin period where I-49 was built as far as the US 167 interchange south of Meeker, so that other than an 8 mile stretch of two lane, you had a clear 4-lane route between Opelousas and Alexandria (including US 71-167 from Meeker to Alex).

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 16, 2013, 11:37:17 AM
Speaking of the I-49 ICC.....there was some drama during the second round of public meetings on the proposed connector; because an outside group known as "Loop It, LLC"; attempted to crash the meetings to propose their plan to dump the ICC in favor of using I-220 and LA 3132 to carry I-49, as well as an adjustment to the southern terminus of I-49 North to connect with US 71 (the Spring/Market couplet) and create a "boulevard" which would provide access to downtown from the north ....
The net result of all this is that LADOTD has now moved to add an LA 3132/I-220 alternative as one of the Build Alternatives in their EIS. (That was originally treated as the "No Build" scenario.) ....
Stuff's getting REAL now, me thinks.

This TV video report reports on a class project of some Louisiana Tech students who have devised their own "boulevard" scenario:

A group of Louisiana Tech students recently pulled an all-nighter, brainstorming a new plan for the I-49 connector ....
"This is not a true interstate," student Lonnie Patrick said. "This becomes a boulevard."
Patrick says plans include a new parkway that connects 1-49 to Common Street, then to North Market and finally to I-220 ....
"It allows the city to rebuild upon itself," Patrick said. "Instead of expanding out and sending business outside of the city." ....
Things like solar energy infrastructure, bike lanes and other modern needs will be built ....
The students will continue to work on their project into the fall semester.

Anthony_JK

No.  NO. HELL TO THE NO.

Bringing more traffic onto the Spring/Market couplet and then doubling back to existing I-49 is a disaster waiting to happen.

All of the amenities that those LA Tech students want can be had while building the ICC as well.

As if they think that looping I-49 around LA 3132 and I-220 will bring business back to downtown Shreveport??

lamsalfl

Gordon

Here is an article of griping of progress on Segment J of I 49 north of burning the timber being cleared for the project.http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/story/smoke-from-i-49-clearing-project-fills-sky/d/story/15G3vnhaRUuyepRi1fdI0A

ethanhopkin14

I went to the Interstate 369 signing ceremony last Monday in Texarkana, and on they way back home I decided to drive the new Interstate 49 corridor.  I took this picture of the overpass being built south of Dodridge, AR over US 71.

I then drove the corridor best I could through northwestern Louisiana and crossed the built but closed off sections up there:

That is Ida State Line Road over Interstate 49 looking northbound.

That is the future on ramp to northbound Interstate 49 from SH 168

lamsalfl

Haha the road looks abandoned with the grass.  Lol

apjung

Google Street View has updated these sections from their pass by in June 2013. Sections include LA 1 with I-49 construction present heading towards MLK Blvd in Shreveport.
http://goo.gl/maps/7XlIN

Also the new sections of AR 549 at the TX border has also been updated.

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 16, 2013, 11:37:17 AM
Speaking of the I-49 ICC..... LADOTD has now moved to add an LA 3132/I-220 alternative as one of the Build Alternatives in their EIS. (That was originally treated as the "No Build" scenario.) ....

This article reports that the modified I-49 ICC environmental study will receive $1.5 million in federal funding:

The state has announced more than $22 million in federally funded road projects in Central Louisiana .... Jindal's office said 12 projects in the state have received funding through a $34.2 million federal highway grant ... $1.5 million for the ongoing environmental study for the I-49 Inner-City Connector project in Caddo Parish.

Grzrd

According to the Draft District 3 FY 2014-15 Highway Plan (page 17/38 of pdf), it looks like some planning work is scheduled to begin on the Lafayette I-49 Connector in the near future:

rte66man

Quote from: Grzrd on October 02, 2013, 12:34:51 PM
According to the Draft District 3 FY 2014-15 Highway Plan (page 17/38 of pdf), it looks like some planning work is scheduled to begin on the Lafayette I-49 Connector in the near future:

$400 million for planning? Surely this refers to the entire project.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Anthony_JK

Quote from: rte66man on October 02, 2013, 12:50:04 PM

$400 million for planning? Surely this refers to the entire project.

Nope...that's the cost for the entire project. The "Stage 1 - Planning/Environmental" is probably to complete the design studies that were temporarily shelved in 2007 due to issues with the design process.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2012, 10:27:30 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on April 14, 2012, 10:02:45 PM
Lead Project: H.003453.3
Lead Federal No. : H003453
Parish(es): Lafayette
Description: I-49 CONNECTOR BUILDING DEMOLITION
Type: BUILDING DEMOLITION AND RELATED WORK
One small step for I-49 South ...
One backward step for I-49 South; the I-49 Connector building demolition project was withdrawn (and not simply postponed) on May 8:
STATE PROJECT-H.003453.3
ADDENDUM NO.-01 (Proposal)
ADDENDUM/WITHDRAW DATE-4/11/2012
PROJECT STATUS (withdrawn/postponed)-Withdrawn
5/8/2012
According to the Draft District 3 FY 2014-15 Highway Plan (page 17/38 of pdf), it looks like some planning work is scheduled to begin on the Lafayette I-49 Connector in the near future

Under a different project number than in 2012, a contract for some I-49 Connector building demolition work is currently scheduled to be let on December 11:

Parish: Lafayette
Letting Date: 2013-12-11
Project: H.011102
Route: US 90
Project Name: I-49 Connector 
Type Improvement: Bldg Demolition (Phase 1) Demolition Of Existing Buildings
Estimated Cost Range: $100,000 to $250,000
Length (miles): 0.06
Project Manager: Wedge, Ed

Maybe this letting will be around the time the toll study is released. It is a very small project but it would be a beginning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.