Old Paper Atlases: What Struck You as Obviously Different Back Then?

Started by MCRoads, June 02, 2021, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

My grandparents gust gave me an interesting item: a US atlas from the early 1960s! I am guessing 1961 based on the interstates it shows as complete. It is incredible to see how different cities look with no (or almost no) interstate infrastructure. Albuquerque looks almost the same, but the familiar interstate crossroads is gone. LA and DFW look like different cities with just the very beginning of there highways having been completed. And DC looks odd not having the 485 loop around it.

Have you ever looked at an old map and noticed a difference right away? What was different about your home town? Did it not exist? Was it bigger back then?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

PastTense

See if you can find something similar for your state to this "Timeline of Iowa's Four-lane highways". It starts with 1956 and continues to now.

https://iowahighwayends.net/maps/fourlanes.html

nexus73

For me it is also the way the highways are shown on the map. Gousha is no longer around but I thought their style was better than Rand McNally. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Avalanchez71

The old atlas at first did not have a good way of representing fully controlled access highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.