News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2019, 07:09:39 AM
Quote from: wxfree on September 17, 2019, 06:05:12 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 17, 2019, 04:59:36 AM
Not sure why this school zone sign is mounted so high up; there wasn't a hill just before this part of US 31W in Horse Cave, Kentucky:

Somebody was high when they put up that sign.

I suppose the sign won't become obscured by weeds.

i'm pretty sure weed factored heavily into the obscure location.

steviep24

wxfree

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2019, 12:46:16 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 18, 2019, 08:55:07 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 18, 2019, 07:09:39 AM
Quote from: wxfree on September 17, 2019, 06:05:12 PM
Not sure why this school zone sign is mounted so high up; there wasn't a hill just before this part of US 31W in Horse Cave, Kentucky:

Somebody was high when they put up that sign.

I suppose the sign won't become obscured by weeds.

A reason to excuse poor maintenance, makes sense to me.  ;-)

woosh

To rephrase, let's say it this way: You couldn't install the sign like that without getting high first.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jakeroot

Quote from: wxfree on September 18, 2019, 11:25:40 PM
To rephrase, let's say it this way: You couldn't install the sign like that without getting high first.

roadfro

It is odd that it is so high up. But it actually doesn't seem to be against MUTCD. Section 2A.18 governs mounting height, and the whole section has standards for minimum mounting heights of signs (generally, bottom of sign must be 7 feet above the sidewalk/curb/edge of travelled way in urban areas and 5 feet above in rural areas), but there isn't a standard or recommended maximum height.

Maybe the designer/installer thought this should be classified as an overhead sign...? Those have to be 17 feet above the pavement.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ipeters61

Quote from: roadfro on September 21, 2019, 01:17:39 AM

It is odd that it is so high up. But it actually doesn't seem to be against MUTCD. Section 2A.18 governs mounting height, and the whole section has standards for minimum mounting heights of signs (generally, bottom of sign must be 7 feet above the sidewalk/curb/edge of travelled way in urban areas and 5 feet above in rural areas), but there isn't a standard or recommended maximum height.

Maybe the designer/installer thought this should be classified as an overhead sign...? Those have to be 17 feet above the pavement.
This made me think about something.  I know at the DelDOT complex here in DE, they've recently been doing some work, and they increased the height of the signs.  I'm wondering if it's because DelDOT has a lot of trucks coming in and out?  Are there lots of trucks running through this area?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadman65

Something about Texas and its fancy sign bridge supports.  However this one in San Antonio really stands out.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48009517522/in/dateposted-public/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

^^ Those fancy sign gantry supports have been built on newer Wisconsin road projects.  https://goo.gl/maps/VLhKjZGepLmtVLmm9

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on September 21, 2019, 11:46:54 AM
^^ Those fancy sign gantry supports have been built on newer Wisconsin road projects.  https://goo.gl/maps/VLhKjZGepLmtVLmm9

Odd on that one that the outside support is standard truss support and only the median support is fancy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 22, 2019, 09:38:23 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2645801,-97.7378587,3a,27.7y,113.9h,103.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIWuORJSLKG67JjQXICR7cQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Bikes yield on green?

Now that's unique! Appears to have been modified from split-phasing.

The opposite approach has an FYA despite being an "option" lane, although it's probably wise as the cycle path is bi-directional.

J3ebrules

Not sure if this picture adequately captures the oddly large size of this sign (although you can see it requires TWO posts to mount it)....

But they REALLY MEAN STOP!!!  :-D

(Found on W Park Ave in Hamilton, NJ - there’s also one on the opposing corner.)
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

1995hoo

I originally put this in the "Worst of" thread and then deleted it because I wasn't sure it was the right place. Ugly unisigns seen on southbound US-1 in the City of Alexandria this afternoon when I was stopped at the red light at Prince Street. The VA-236 shield is particularly hideous, IMO.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

That's a utility pole installed by the power company.  I wonder if the placement of the sign had something to do with either (a) minimum vertical clearance for the power transmission or else (b) the space allotted for use by the school on a joint utility pole.  I note that the southbound sign is similarly high-mounted on a utility pole.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wxfree

There's nothing interesting about the signs themselves, but it's interesting that there are two of them on opposites sides of the road.  Because the road curves, the stop sign on the right is hidden behind a tree.  I guess they don't want to trim that tree, so they just put another stop sign on the left side.

https://goo.gl/maps/HNsix37Lwd8GWAiz5

wxfree

Roadsguy

Quote from: wxfree on September 24, 2019, 11:03:21 PM
There's nothing interesting about the signs themselves, but it's interesting that there are two of them on opposites sides of the road.  Because the road curves, the stop sign on the right is hidden behind a tree.  I guess they don't want to trim that tree, so they just put another stop sign on the left side.

https://goo.gl/maps/HNsix37Lwd8GWAiz5

Stop signs on both sides of the road are fairly common, at least in Pennsylvania. Here, they're usually only used for added safety where it may be needed like at this intersection. I don't know how often other states do this.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Kniwt

On (unsigned?) Navajo Route 7140 near Gallup NM, the mileposts show miles on one side and kilometers on the other:

Eth

Driving in Texas for the first time last weekend, I saw this clearance sign on US 75. Not sure I've actually seen FT and IN used on a sign before instead of ' and ".

Kniwt

Truth. NM 118 near the Arizona state line:

It apparently happened way back on July 31, but they don't appear to be in any hurry to clear it. Story:
https://www.abqjournal.com/1347577/boulders-block-road-near-arizona-nm-border.html

formulanone

Quote from: Eth on September 26, 2019, 10:01:01 PM
Driving in Texas for the first time last weekend, I saw this clearance sign on US 75. Not sure I've actually seen FT and IN used on a sign before instead of ' and ".

Here's another, on I-35 south of Austin:

Quote from: Kniwt on September 26, 2019, 10:21:18 PM
Truth. NM 118 near the Arizona state line:

It apparently happened way back on July 31, but they don't appear to be in any hurry to clear it. Story:
https://www.abqjournal.com/1347577/boulders-block-road-near-arizona-nm-border.html

Maybe they're hoping it will roll or slide down, and become Arizona's problem.

ipeters61

Quote from: J3ebrules on September 23, 2019, 12:23:06 AM
Not sure if this picture adequately captures the oddly large size of this sign (although you can see it requires TWO posts to mount it)....

But they REALLY MEAN STOP!!!  :-D

(image)

(Found on W Park Ave in Hamilton, NJ - there's also one on the opposing corner.)
Yeah we have a few of those on the really rural sections of road in DE that are seeing increases in traffic (and corresponding increases in crashes, especially fatals).  They sometimes even add lights to the stop sign assemblies.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

D-Dey65

Are warning signs really appropriate for a buses only road for an intermodal transit center?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DeLand_Intermodal_Transport;_Bus_Entrance.jpg

Or should these be something more regulatory?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mergingtraffic

The Good:
I like the horizontal line below FOOD EXIT 12.  The latest logo sign in CT, the earlier ones don't have the line.  I haven't seen it in any other state tho.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.