News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

With all the recent vote in the FL House about extending our toll road network, why not also utilize existing rural roads like US 19.  Many parts of that from Lebanon Station to Capps is so undeveloped that just a few fixes can make that a freeway or freeway like road.

From SR 121 to Chiefland, that particular highway is very rural and far from development due to wetlands along its route.  Even a good part of it is so straight that at night on a clear day, you can see the flasher at US 19 and SR 24 11 miles away.  Just eliminate the at grades where CR 326 intersects at Gulf Hammock, the SR 24 crossing at Otter Creek, and the CR 347 intersection in the rural part of Levy for interchanges.  That would help with the part from Citrus up into Ghilcrist and even build bypasses of Chiefland, Fanning Springs, Old Towne, and Cross City while the rural parts of US 19, 98, and 27 ALT from Cross City to Perry should be modified as well.  Then build the freeway from Perry to follow US 221 to end at I-10 or even have it go further to connect with I-75 near Valdosta also following US 221.

Why disturb other land while using what we have already.  I have been on US 19 & 98 north of Inglis and believe me its not that heavily traveled and not too much chance of building driveways for future homes and industry along its path due to its wetlands area that is pretty much of the Nature Coast of Florida.  Use that corridor instead of buying land through other parts of the county.

I am actually for extending the turnpike up to Lebanon and making US 19 north from there that as my suggestion and making the Suncoast Parkway veer inland to follow SR 200 up to Ocala and Jacksonville to help build a better corridor from Tampa to Jacksonville being that I-4 from Central Florida's explosion made that road a traveling nightmare thanks to Orange, Lake, NE Polk, Osceola, Seminole, and part of Volusia.  Most today prefer US 301's speed traps over I-4's traffic jams anyway.  So this would make most sense.

Heck neighboring GA needs to think about resurrecting I-175 again as well as that would be another major evacuation route as well, but that is for another thread as we are talking about Florida here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Dang, I thought the designation was completely removed. No idea it was just downgraded. Thanks. I did look and they didn't put any CR 439 signs at the Blueford Av intersection

Brian556

roadman65

New lime green striping as part of an ongoing repaving project in Lake County, FL along US Highway 27.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Is that a bike lane?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Verlanka

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 16, 2019, 07:55:44 AM
Is that a bike lane?

Probably looks like it.

roadman65

I now seen one in Lakeland along Lake Hollingsworth as well.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

An FDOT press release says the I-295 express lanes were supposed to open Saturday. Anyone got any pictures? Interesting to note it says they're initially only going to impose tolls during rush hour and that at other times the lanes will be free.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2019, 04:23:59 PM
An FDOT press release says the I-295 express lanes were supposed to open Saturday. Anyone got any pictures? Interesting to note it says they're initially only going to impose tolls during rush hour and that at other times the lanes will be free.

I just returned from my family trip; yes that is true. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet due to not having a SunPass.

edwaleni

Florida Gov. DeSantis signs the Florida Toll Road bill.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-toll-roads-desantis-20190517-a6r33yna2jgsdjtgxp4hjjkski-story.html

On Friday, DeSantis signed the toll-road bill (SB 7068), a top priority of Senate President Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton. The measure will take initial steps to expand the Suncoast Parkway from the Tampa Bay area to the Georgia border; extend Florida's Turnpike west to connect with the Suncoast Parkway; and add a new multi-use corridor, including a toll road, from Polk County to Collier County.

kevinb1994

Quote from: edwaleni on May 22, 2019, 11:45:27 AM

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-toll-roads-desantis-20190517-a6r33yna2jgsdjtgxp4hjjkski-story.html

On Friday, DeSantis signed the toll-road bill (SB 7068), a top priority of Senate President Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton. The measure will take initial steps to expand the Suncoast Parkway from the Tampa Bay area to the Georgia border; extend Florida's Turnpike west to connect with the Suncoast Parkway; and add a new multi-use corridor, including a toll road, from Polk County to Collier County.

Funny that you posted this here as I read this after returning from my family trip over the weekend. Not sure if there will be enough of a long-term incentive for more toll roads in the Sunshine State. Not happy about the environmental impacts but that's more of a political view that cannot be further expressed due to forum rules.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: edwaleni on May 22, 2019, 11:45:27 AM

SR 44, US 441, I-75, US 19 and US 41 along with US 27 all provide for the first proposal.  Polk County and Collier are already linked via US 17 to I-75 and or US 41 or US 27 to what CR 835 or whatever it is amongst others.

roadman65

In Lake there was a study done by polling people of Central Florida to see where a toll road should be built.  One in Lake County took 429 along US 441 and then SR 44 to Wildwood and I-75.  That may be why SR 453 was built and with a trumpet at SR 46.  They had that in mind.

Then one other result of this took the current SR 570 that ends at Polk City and go northeast to connect to the proposed SR 408 extension.  Of course a connector now between US 27 and SR 429 is planned instead of a 408 extension westward.  The rest the Green Swamp stands in the way of ever building that one.

Then from Polk to Collier it is going to use the defunct Heartlands Expressway that was proposed under Jeb Bush.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Getting off the subject of toll roads, I-75 is now six lanes throughout Hernando County (the Exit 301 ramps and US 98-FL 50 are still being rebuilt).

With the exception of Alligator Alley, all that's left to six-lane is the still ongoing reconstruction of the road between the Turnpike and FL 44 in Wildwood.

BTW, I found out about this and a lot of other stuff during my day trip to Ocala National Forest and DeLand.

VTGoose

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 01, 2019, 10:44:47 PM
Getting off the subject of toll roads, I-75 is now six lanes throughout Hernando County (the Exit 301 ramps and US 98-FL 50 are still being rebuilt).

That is another great make-work project (see also Stark bypass and I-10 at Baldwin) that has been taking forever to complete. I'm still trying to figure out why the drop down to two lanes starts so far back from the project and still extends so far beyond it.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

roadman65

Quote from: VTGoose on June 03, 2019, 09:22:32 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 01, 2019, 10:44:47 PM

That is another great make-work project (see also Stark bypass and I-10 at Baldwin) that has been taking forever to complete. I'm still trying to figure out why the drop down to two lanes starts so far back from the project and still extends so far beyond it.
One of our MODs now works for FDOT D-7 who has jurisdiction over that part of I-75, maybe he will chime in later and come up with the answer to it.  He just started a few months ago so learning how to access the data base as well as who to go to for answers.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

In Florida only the Alligator Alley is left on I-75 which won't get widened anytime soon, but all of I-95 and I-4 are at least six lanes throughout the state.  I-10 is the only four lane road left that has that for several miles as pretty much I-10 is only six lanes in Pensacola, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville as that road don't see the snowbirds or have the sprawl along it like the other three interstates do.

Sheryl Crowe

TimQuiQui

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 08, 2019, 10:26:39 PM
Why is there a tiny VMS at Volusia CR 415 north of SR 44?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0122824,-81.068739,3a,75y,208.46h,88.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sczpziONTlIjQX3hkNheg4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Might have to do with event traffic management for the New Smyrna Speedway at that corner? That sign is right where the back pit access is.

edwaleni

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 21, 2019, 09:11:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 20, 2019, 04:23:59 PM

I just returned from my family trip; yes that is true. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet due to not having a SunPass.

The FDOT toll section has opened between I-95 and the Buckman Bridge.

At the moment, it is barely used. Since it provides no material benefit before/after the Buckman, where they simply push you back over to cross the bridge with everyone else.

Most of the commuters agree its a waste and only has purpose if/when an accident might occur on the public side of the barriers.

Last time I drove through there, I saw just one car waste his .50.

The most effective use of the new SunPass lanes is when they finish the east beltway lanes between Philips Highway (US-1) and Beach Boulevard (US-90) along with the new ramps for 9B (I-795) and J Turner Butler Boulevard (FL-202). This is where you have a terrible decision to slam 5 lanes to traffic into just 2. But when its done you will have 3 free lanes and 2 tolled throughout.

I still laugh when I found out FDOT was supposed to use the "tolled road" expansion between the Dames Point bridge up to I-95 at the airport. So they flipped a switch and they moved it south. Gotta love the studies and rationale behind that deal. (none)

kevinb1994

Quote from: edwaleni on June 11, 2019, 12:32:30 AM
The most effective use of the new SunPass lanes is when they finish the east beltway lanes between Philips Highway (US-1) and Beach Boulevard (US-90) along with the new ramps for 9B (I-795) and J Turner Butler Boulevard (FL-202). This is where you have a terrible decision to slam 5 lanes to traffic into just 2. But when its done you will have 3 free lanes and 2 tolled throughout.
As I live off of this stretch of the East Beltway (I-295), I concur.

kevinb1994

I still laugh when I found out FDOT was supposed to use the "tolled road" expansion between the Dames Point bridge up to I-95 at the airport. So they flipped a switch and they moved it south. Gotta love the studies and rationale behind that deal. (none)
Source? I can't say that I agree with you. I do wonder if they were supposed to widen that stretch somehow, as I've seen evidence of such construction on that section of the East Beltway (I-295). Maybe the NIMBYs on the Northside and along the St. Johns River got in the way somehow? I did find out that FDOT also removed the I-295 (East Beltway) Express Lanes between JTB and the Dames Point Bridge from their list of proposed Express Lanes projects, despite it still being listed and shown on their Florida Express Lanes website. Maybe the NIMBYs in Arlington, on the Southside, and along the St. Johns River got in the way somehow?

kevinb1994

Since it provides no material benefit before/after the Buckman, where they simply push you back over to cross the bridge with everyone else.

Most of the commuters agree its a waste and only has purpose if/when an accident might occur on the public side of the barriers.
But that's what the point of having Express Lanes is! Although, if it weren't for the NIMBYs in Orange Park, on the Southside, in Southwest Jacksonville, and along the St. Johns River, they'd have Express Lanes running along the West Beltway (I-295) between the Buckman Bridge and 103rd Street (SR 134) as well, along with a bridge connecting the JTB aka Butler Boulevard (SR 202) with SR 134 (103rd Street/Timuquana Road).

D-Dey65

Quote from: TimQuiQui on June 11, 2019, 12:15:27 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 08, 2019, 10:26:39 PM
Why is there a tiny VMS at Volusia CR 415 north of SR 44?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0122824,-81.068739,3a,75y,208.46h,88.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sczpziONTlIjQX3hkNheg4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Might have to do with event traffic management for the New Smyrna Speedway at that corner? That sign is right where the back pit access is.
That makes sense. I just wish I could read it on GSV.

Brian556

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.