News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

US 281 at I-410 when coming in for a landing at San Antonio:

ipeters61

Finally bought a tripod this weekend and tried some long exposure photos around Dover.  This is my favorite (Bay Road near DelDOT):

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

J3ebrules

So, I've started going through my grandpa's road trip pictures (there Is a LOT of organizing to be done!), but so far, these are my favorite ones from his early 1970's trip across the country...

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: J3ebrules on July 18, 2019, 01:10:54 AM
So, I've started going through my grandpa's road trip pictures (there Is a LOT of organizing to be done!), but so far, these are my favorite ones from his early 1970's trip across the country...

I'd love to see more!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ipeters61

I took a trip down Corridor H (US-48) in West Virginia from Wardensville to Blackwater Falls yesterday, and got this photo from the scenic overlook near East Moorefield:

Also this photo of the Cumberland Thruway (I-68) in Maryland at dusk last night:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

stevashe

Vantage Bridge carrying I-90 across the Columbia River in Eastern Washington.

US 89

One of my all-time favorite road pictures, taken southbound on UT 167:

US 89

Another one I took yesterday. I especially like it because it's sort of a "typical Utah" photo: a CFI in the middle of suburban hell with big mountains in the background.

formulanone

I-10 in Phoenix near Sky Harbor - perfect shot with the aircraft about to land:

I just wish the polarizer didn't cause so much vignetting in one corner...

Billy F 1988

Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2019, 07:26:13 PM

Usually the vignetting happens when the darker shades of blue are present depending on which way you turned the polarizer filter. If you turn it one way, it would deepen the greens and blues and tack off some of the annoying glare, which works well on reflective surfaces, so, the vignetting is essentially noticeable because of the angle of your polarizer and where you were aiming to shoot the picture. In some cases the vignetting looks cool, but, I guess in your case, you weren't expecting the vignetting to occur. You'd just have to turn the filter the other direction to lighten up the corner before you shoot again. In post-photo, I'd look for some filters to brighten up that corner that was caused by the filter being turned. Which, evidently, you deepened the green and the shadows of the light brackets and removed the glare.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

formulanone

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 03, 2019, 06:28:56 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2019, 07:26:13 PM

Usually the vignetting happens when the darker shades of blue are present depending on which way you turned the polarizer filter. If you turn it one way, it would deepen the greens and blues and tack off some of the annoying glare, which works well on reflective surfaces, so, the vignetting is essentially noticeable because of the angle of your polarizer and where you were aiming to shoot the picture. In some cases the vignetting looks cool, but, I guess in your case, you weren't expecting the vignetting to occur. You'd just have to turn the filter the other direction to lighten up the corner before you shoot again. In post-photo, I'd look for some filters to brighten up that corner that was caused by the filter being turned. Which, evidently, you deepened the green and the shadows of the light brackets and removed the glare.

The latest lens and polarizer I bought tends to cause a vignette more than any other set I've ever had - I suspect the screw mount polarizer is a bit closer to the lens surface than the others. 

Max Rockatansky

Old US 101/Salinas Road on the concrete San Juan Grade as seen from Old Stage Road.  The San Juan Grade replaced Old Stage Road in 1915 and is one of the few vintage concrete roadways from the early US Route era left intact.  US 101 as shifted off the San Juan Grade onto the Prunedale Cut-Off by summer of 1932:

IMG_9822 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Gloria Road high in the Gabilan Range in Monterey County:

IMG_1364 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ipeters61

Not quite a "road" photo, but this is the Conowingo Dam Bridge (which carries US-1 over the Susquehanna River in Maryland), as seen from the southwest at Fishermans Park.

Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

Sky view at Skyview on I-435:

7/8

Considering all the rain we had in Iceland, I think this one turned out pretty good. This is on Route 35 near Route 36 by Kerið Crater (taken in August 2019):

Max Rockatansky

I've been showing off this photo I took of I-280 in San Francisco as an example that these recent ghost freeway photos might not be as legit as reported.  This was taken on a normal Sunday morning in February last year:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1995hoo

I suppose this picture isn't necessarily of the road per se, but it's funny enough that I wanted to post it here under the theory it's something you see while on the road. My brother took this yesterday on his afternoon bike ride. He lives in New Orleans. Corner of Perrier and Webster in that city.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

Not taken from the road itself, but this is Utah SR 150 as seen from Bald Mountain (elevation 11948 feet):

J3ebrules

Quote from: US 89 on April 08, 2020, 10:00:39 AM
Not taken from the road itself, but this is Utah SR 150 as seen from Bald Mountain (elevation 11948 feet):

That is absolutely breathtaking and phenomenal. Did you hike up there or drive up?
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

US 89

Quote from: J3ebrules on April 08, 2020, 11:25:07 PM
Quote from: US 89 on April 08, 2020, 10:00:39 AM

That is absolutely breathtaking and phenomenal. Did you hike up there or drive up?

There's a reason 150 is a state scenic byway. I drove as far as I could - to the trailhead at Bald Mountain Pass, which is more or less where the road disappears behind the mountains on the right. Incidentally, that pass is the highest point on the Utah state highway system at 10715 feet.

jakeroot

Took a photo of a street in Tacoma a few weeks ago that I really like. The way the road (N Carr St) drops off and just ends at the water looks pretty cool IMO.

csw

Here's a shot of VA 311 wrapping around North Mtn., taken from the Appalachian Trail on Cove Mtn., northwest of Roanoke.

Max Rockatansky

Million Dollar Road today facing towards Stevenson Creek Falls:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

CA 168 descending from Pineridge to Auberry:

IMG_5784 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

McKinley Grove Road over Wishon Dam:

IMG_5614 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Courtright Dam Road:

IMG_5714 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.